Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times

Advertisements

There are no more F-14's in the US inventory.
There are low-level training routes that cover most of the US. These routes vary in their use as the environment the pilots are deploying to changes. Mountainous low-levels are popular now as we migrate from Iraq to Afghanistan. There are altitude and airspeed restrictions that apply to each route, but the intent of the training is low level / high speed. 200' AGL is the absolute lowest limit, speed in not always restricted, we flew them at 480 kts. As to the fancy maneuvering, AOB's over 90 degrees and fast climbs are part of the training.
They may appear to be targeting certain landmarks, but what they're doing is using the feature as a run-in line to set up a simulated low level bombing run (watch for the pop-up and rolling decent maneuver), or a gun pass (low level bunting of the nose).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
There are no more F-14's in the US inventory.
There are low-level training routes that cover most of the US. These routes vary in their use as the environment the pilots are deploying to changes. Mountainous low-levels are popular now as we migrate from Iraq to Afghanistan. There are altitude and airspeed restrictions that apply to each route, but the intent of the training is low level / high speed. 200' AGL is the absolute lowest limit, speed in not always restricted, we flew them at 480 kts. As to the fancy maneuvering, AOB's over 90 degrees and fast climbs are part of the training.
They may appear to be targeting certain landmarks, but what they're doing is using the feature as a run-in line to set up a simulated low level bombing run (watch for the pop-up and rolling decent maneuver), or a gun pass (low level bunting of the nose).
Wow! That just explained everything in a nutshell. Can you tell me what AGL stands for and AOB stands for?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I used to love watching the A-10's do low level runs through the mountains. We saw a lot of them about 10-12 years ago at a Scout hiking camp near Roanoke VIRGINIA

Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
Wow! That just explained everything in a nutshell. Can you tell me what AGL stands for and AOB stands for?
AGL is "above ground level", AOB is "Angle of bank".

Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM

175 posts, read 565,067 times
Quote:
Does anyone know why fighter jets (look like F-14's but not sure) routinely fly over Davis/Canaan valley area? I have lived in Davis for less than a week and have seen/heard the jets twice already. I even caught one doing a fancy manuever (it looked kinda cool). I remember my first time visiting Canaan Valley and a jet flew over and at first I thought a bomb was about to land, lol. I'm only asking because I used to live in NJ, only miles from Maguire AFB and I never had fighter jets flying over.

Anyone know what the story is?
Can you tell if the markings on the planes are Navy or Air Force? If Navy they are probably from one or more of the Squadrons out of Virginia. If Air Force they could be from over near Columbus, Ohio.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM

easier way to tell...

If they're grimy gray and look like they've been in a fight-- they're Navy

If they're shiny, and look like they just came from the showroom-- they're Air Farce.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post
Can you tell if the markings on the planes are Navy or Air Force? If Navy they are probably from one or more of the Squadrons out of Virginia. If Air Force they could be from over near Columbus, Ohio.
I don't recall what the markings were. I wish I knew what kind of jet it was too, maybe if I saw pictures I could pick one out. Next time I hear them coming I will try to look at the markings.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
easier way to tell...

If they're shiny, and look like they just came from the showroom-- they're Air Farce.
LOL.

I remember they were definitely gray, but I don't think they looked dirty, IMO.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
easier way to tell...

LOL!!! Bravo Zulu H.B.!! +1

Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I don't recall what the markings were. I wish I knew what kind of jet it was too, maybe if I saw pictures I could pick one out. Next time I hear them coming I will try to look at the markings.
If they're Navy they're probably 2FF2R (2 Friggin' Fast 2 Recognize)!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia