Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times

Advertisements

The thing about the reunion is this:

It's at 8th and I and we were invited...hospitality tent and all that..buses can be arranged.

glad we had the warning...women and grandchildren will be along to visit the 'Big City.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The thing about the reunion is this:

It's at 8th and I and we were invited...hospitality tent and all that..buses can be arranged.

glad we had the warning...women and grandchildren will be along to visit the 'Big City.
There are no bums or smelly people riding the Washington Metro. Your women and children will be safe and not accosted.

It's a very white collar town and one of the big complaints about Metro is that it provides better service to the affluent sections of town. That has been somewhat rectified with the addition and extension of the Green and Orange lines.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
This is a ridiculous thread! I ride the Metro every week whether it be to visit clients or for a night out on the town and have never experienced problems such as this... I'm supposed to believe someone who lives in the boonies and has only ridden the system a handful of times (if that) has had a different experience? The DC Metro System is one of the cleanest in America and if you dislike it that much you are more than welcome to stay out in Martinsburg and enjoy the high quality of life that revolves around places like Wal-Mart and Applebees.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Our hotel is the Key Bridge Marriot.

One we have used in the past when the metro was newer. And from the nearby metro station, we traveled to many sites.

Things change...and it had/has the potential to be a source of something less than pleasant.

One of the things that remain in my mind were the passed out bums on the sidewalk near Headquarters Marine Corps.
It was a degrading site for my friends and their relatives.

A safer, nicer choice would be Pittsburgh and the Sheraton at Station Square, but this is official and possibly the last gathering of a great military unit.

Bennigans in Chevy Chase/Bethesda has always been a favorite resturant and we will enjoy a 'surf and turf there for old times..

Last edited by David Kennedy; 09-16-2009 at 01:38 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 AM

307 posts, read 692,333 times
David Kennedy

Thank you for you're service to our Country! god bless you and keep you safe.

These people must ride the MARC train not the Metro. The "handful" of times I rode the Metro. Is why I don't, and never will ride the Metro again. I may live in the "boonies" I work in the greater Wash D.C metro area.

The reason for this post... My co worker needed to be picked up at the metro the other morning. While picking up my co worker I saw Bums sleeping on the benches in the metro station. My god the smell!! Reminded me of my horrible experience. If someone reads of my experience hopefully it will save them of having to go through the same thing. And not having to explain to there young children that the city transportation system/city streets are to not be used as a toilet.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post
David Kennedy

Thank you for you're service to our Country! god bless you and keep you safe.

These people must ride the MARC train not the Metro. The "handful" of times I rode the Metro. Is why I don't, and never will ride the Metro again. I may live in the "boonies" I work in the greater Wash D.C metro area.

The reason for this post... My co worker needed to be picked up at the metro the other morning. While picking up my co worker I saw Bums sleeping on the benches in the metro station. My god the smell!! Reminded me of my horrible experience. If someone reads of my experience hopefully it will save them of having to go through the same thing. And not having to explain to there young children that the city transportation system/city streets are to not be used as a toilet.
I don't know what your agenda is, but it certainly doesn't involve telling the truth. Anyone who rides the METRO regularly will say the same.

Last edited by rlchurch; 09-16-2009 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Our hotel is the Key Bridge Marriot.

One we have used in the past when the metro was newer. And from the nearby metro station, we traveled to many sites.

Things change...and it had/has the potential to be a source of something less than pleasant.

One of the things that remain in my mind were the passed out bums on the sidewalk near Headquarters Marine Corps.
It was a degrading site for my friends and their relatives.

A safer, nicer choice would be Pittsburgh and the Sheraton at Station Square, but this is official and possibly the last gathering of a great military unit.

Bennigans in Chevy Chase/Bethesda has always been a favorite resturant and we will enjoy a 'surf and turf there for old times..
You've stayed at the Key Bridge Marriott before? Then you know it's very accessible to the Rosslyn Metro. Be careful walking in Rosslyn. It's not particularly pedestrian friendly.

I don't know of a Bennigan's in Bethesda and I live close by. There used to be one out in Rockville, but that may have closed. Better surf and turf down on Maine Ave. near the DC waterfront. There are several good places, but Phillips is hard to beat.

If you have time try a Nationals game. The team is really bad but the new stadium down in Southeast is very cool and again an easy METRO trip. Most DC natives METRO to the Nats games due to the convenience.

Have a great time.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
Please post, I'm interested to see if you can actually use a digital camera.
Bluff called. Hand folded.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I'm also not sure of the OP's agenda, but he's on vacation for a while now because just as a note to all, we don't put up with personal attacks.

For those concerned however, the DC transit system (METRO) has always been rated as one of the higher systems in the U.S. Will you possibly see a "bum" on it? Well, it is a large city, folks. I would suggest riding the NYC subway sometime, or MARTA here in Atlanta, or BART in San Francisco... the list goes on. There are vagrants who make their way onto trains in every city that has them. Heck, I remember a bum or two asleep on a KRT bus in Charleston way back when!

I've ridden the METRO a few times and maybe saw two bums snoozing around along the way - FAR less than you see here in Atlanta or other places. Regarding the AIDS comments, I suggest folks read up on how the disease is transmitted - it was all explained around 1990, and unless you plan on having unprotected intimate relations on the train with the vagrants, or share a needle or blood with them, then you have nothing to worry about. I can promise you that driving around DC can be hell on earth, and unless you have $$$ for cabs the whole time, the METRO is the way to go.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programs.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I don't know of a Bennigan's in Bethesda and I live close by. There used to be one out in Rockville, but that may have closed. Better surf and turf down on Maine Ave. near the DC waterfront. There are several good places, but Phillips is hard to beat.
Maybe meant Flanagan's? I used to go there all the time when I worked on Old Georgetown Rd.

Mmmmm.. Harp on tap... Mmmmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia