Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Va motorcycle rider here. I frequently make it to W. Va. on my motorcyle rides as I love the scenery. I'll enter your state on one of the 3 roads usually. I usually go as far as 2 hours before heading either south or north to circle back to Va. I'm looking for local favorite places to eat in any of the towns along these routes. Not really looking for chains but for places I can stop for some good local food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Fireside Cafe in Franklin is a good one, another small place on Rt.33 near Wymer- Alpine something or another.. Purple Fiddle in Thomas is sort of a bikers draw (not a beer joint / roughneck place- a little eccentric / little bit different menu that standard fare). Then there is the places by Seneca Rocks... Not too bad for a quick stop, but usually crowded.

Hey- in my travels I've found almost all non-chain places are great to stop in and eat at. Never had a bad meal at any of them. Always have great service, usually a good conversation and the prices all reasonable.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM

Sounds good. I'll keep these in mind on my next run.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Golden Anchor, Rte 32 south of Canaan Valley.

Boyer's Restaurant, Arbovale (I think that's on Rte 39)

Hermitage Restaurant, US 250, Bartow

Greenbrier Grille, Intersection of US 219 and WV 39, Marlinton

Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times
Try this link and then Bookmark it: 101 Unique Places to Dine

I think you have many good suggestions already. I remember going to Ramp dinners at the Alpines when my father-in-law worked for Hope Gas. Great cooks.

The Front Porch is the one at the base of Seneca Rocks where you can sit on the front porch and view Seneca Rocks. If the timing is right, you can watch the rock climbers go up.

The Purple Fiddle is a unique place in Thomas. Also, When Pigs Fly up the street from the Purple Fiddle is good. My wife and I visited both places this summer and we will go back to both. At the PF, we heard a guy named Dan Evans sing along with a group called Coal Train. Evans was once a participant in the reality show, The Biggest Loser. It was great evening we had at the Purple Fiddle.

In the Snowshoe area, there are some good restaurants as well. Once you climb the mountain the price gets higher as well as the elevation because they know they have you. The Snowshoe Inn at the bottom of the mountain has good food as well as the restaurant at the Marlinton Motel along 219 or whatever route that is.

The pizza place in Davis that used to be over in Canaan Valley is good pizza. Blackwater Falls restaurant had good food this past summer when we visited.

You have many choices. Good luck and enjoy Wild, Wonderful West Virginia!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The Snowshoe Inn at the bottom of the mountain has good food as well as the restaurant at the Marlinton Motel along 219 or whatever route that is.
That is, indeed, US-219. The Marlinton Motor Inn is in Edray, about two miles north of Marlinton, just before 219 begins the serious part of the ascent of Cheat Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The pizza place in Davis that used to be over in Canaan Valley is good pizza.
That would be Sirianni's... great salads, too.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:09 PM

376 posts, read 910,766 times
Sirianni's has the BEST pizza wedge!!! Wish I had one now!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Took the family for a 'wet' drive today. Went to Beverly and ate buckwheat cakes and sausage in the late a.m., then over to Seneca Rocks, up to Spruce Knob (where you couldn't see CRUD through the fog ), then to Whimer, Job, then up to Davis/Thomas where we ate some great wraps at the Purple Fiddle and listened to the band do their sound check..

Good eats at the Purple Fiddle. Good beer selection too.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Rt 50 and Cool Springs:

Pressing some of the best apple cider that we've ever drank. Sweet and full bodied.

The Castles always press several hundred gallons for the Buckwheat Festival in Kingwood and donate that money to the local Hospice.
Great family and an enterprise that has catered to the needs of travelers for over 60 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia