Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"What's the big deal with Trader Joe's, anyway? To me it's basically a big yawn - not really much you can't get anywhere else. I admit, I don't care much about gluten-free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah."

Its not really free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah - you're confusing it with Wholefoods perhaps. Its also got plenty of stuff that you cannot find anywhere else. Have you ever actually been in one, or are you just dismissing it based on some stereotype you've conceived?
Nah, I agree with kletter1mann, I don't get it. I've been in TJs many times and I can't figure out what all the fuss is for. If someone gives me some specific examples of some super duper good TJs food then maybe I'll give it another shot. Otherwise, I give it a big eye roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
You know, some people think the coffee-colored liquid that Dunkin Donuts sells as "coffee" is good coffee. They must have different taste receptors, so what's the point. Eye roll no. 2.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
bg7

BTW - to the original poster back all those years, Montclair is only slightly less snoozey and sterile than its neighbor, Glen Ridge (which has by far the better schools of the two). Based on your avowed criteria, I'd be surprised if you'd be happy there.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:45 PM

168 posts, read 417,415 times
Quote:
BTW - to the original poster back all those years, Montclair is only slightly less snoozey and sterile than its neighbor, Glen Ridge (which has by far the better schools of the two). Based on your avowed criteria, I'd be surprised if you'd be happy there.
I am not sure Glen Ridge has "far better" schools than Montclair. Sat score difference is about 80 or so which is the difference of Edgemont from Irvington and Rye from Marmaroneck. But perhaps you believe that the schools in Rye and Edgemont are far better than Irvington and marmaroneck. Also Montclair is a bigger and more diverse district which makes those scores even harder to achieve.

For the OP: You will be hard pressed to find a more progressive town than Montclair in NY suburbia. Not that this means much if you compare with the city. There are more restaurants than any other westchester town, more daycares, more supermarkets, shops than most of westchester towns. There's theater, galleries, music spaces etc Go to the baristanet blog to get a feel for the town.

More importantly the housing stock in Montclair is the most beautiful outside NY city. It can only compare with Brooklyn brownstone areas.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
bg7

Come on, be honest, no-one moves to Montclair on the basis of the schools, but they do move to Glen Ridge on that basis. And I'm talking about the public schools, not Montclair Kimberley.

Montclair does have some very beautiful houses, I certainly agree on that.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Come on, be honest, no-one moves to Montclair on the basis of the schools, but they do move to Glen Ridge on that basis. And I'm talking about the public schools, not Montclair Kimberley.
"Come on, be honest"?! what makes you think I am not? I don't think that anyone moves to glen ridge on the school basis. People who would prefer glen ridge over montclair are in general people who are more conservative and/or exclusive because the school difference is unimportant. If the school basis was that important they would move to Millburn or Chatham. Just as you would move to Scarsdale and Chappaqua.

Why do people prefer Rye over Rye neck? Sure Rye schools are somewhat better but the difference does not form really a basis and there are other reasons coming into play (usually less money, better house, convenience etc).

Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
"What's the big deal with Trader Joe's, anyway? To me it's basically a big yawn - not really much you can't get anywhere else. I admit, I don't care much about gluten-free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah."

Its not really free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah - you're confusing it with Wholefoods perhaps. Its also got plenty of stuff that you cannot find anywhere else. Have you ever actually been in one, or are you just dismissing it based on some stereotype you've conceived?
My stereotype is conceived from (1) hearing the hype FOLLOWED BY (2) visiting the TJ's in Mamaroneck a couple times. I have no idea if that's representative or not. There was little if anything that my local supermarket doesn't have - except the emphasis on free-range crunchy.
[full disclosure: my local market is Scott's Corners market, which has few if any counterparts in southern Westchester]

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
bg7

"I don't think that anyone moves to Glen Ridge on the school basis" !! Now I know you're not being honest! People basically only move to Glen Ridge for that - then move out when their kids have graduated.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
"I don't think that anyone moves to Glen Ridge on the school basis" !! Now I know you're not being honest! People basically only move to Glen Ridge for that - then move out when their kids have graduated.
You are a little bit slow and seem to know that area from far (the internet). Most people move out of their towns (incl montclair) when kids graduate.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
My stereotype is conceived from (1) hearing the hype FOLLOWED BY (2) visiting the TJ's in Mamaroneck a couple times. I have no idea if that's representative or not. There was little if anything that my local supermarket doesn't have - except the emphasis on free-range crunchy.
[full disclosure: my local market is Scott's Corners market, which has few if any counterparts in southern Westchester]
Well I just looked up the Scott's Corners market website - and I can't really tell much from it or the circulars, so perhaps TJs is no different from Scott's Corners. What I can say is that its a whole bunch different from Gristedes, A&P, Food Emporium, Morton Williams, D'Agostinos - you may know the other suspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County