Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times

Advertisements

White Plains is vastly overrated, and is not nearly as "walkable" as people think.
I highly suggest you spend an entire weekend in Stamford.
It is more like a real city with corporate presence than White Plains.
If you're getting more bang for the buck in CT, the debate is over.

Please post the link from the CT forum. I'd like to hear their point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 02:50 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
Ditto what he said about White Plains and Stamford. I'd pick Stamford over White Plains any day. It feels much more "city" to me, but it's a large geographic area so you've got lots of residential neighborhoods too. The downtown has been revitalized, you're closer to the water, express trains to the city, cheaper taxes...

If you don't need to be in Westchester for the commute or the schools, it just doesn't make much sense to pay the premium for it.

(I'd still pick Toronto over all these places though... But I know you've ruled it out. Too bad, if you could get over the COL thing, which isn't as bad as you think, it would be exactly what you are looking for. e.g. When we told my parents how much we paid for our health plan from each paycheck, our co-pays, and the other fees, they were astonished and frankly were laughing. Just saying.)

Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
White Plains is vastly overrated, and is not nearly as "walkable" as people think.
I highly suggest you spend an entire weekend in Stamford.
It is more like a real city with corporate presence than White Plains.
If you're getting more bang for the buck in CT, the debate is over.

Please post the link from the CT forum. I'd like to hear their point of view.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Stamford will definitely be on our visit list the next time we go, probably in a couple of months. Here is the link on the CT forum:

Stamford vs White Plains

Old 09-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Ditto what he said about White Plains and Stamford. I'd pick Stamford over White Plains any day. It feels much more "city" to me, but it's a large geographic area so you've got lots of residential neighborhoods too. The downtown has been revitalized, you're closer to the water, express trains to the city, cheaper taxes...

If you don't need to be in Westchester for the commute or the schools, it just doesn't make much sense to pay the premium for it.

(I'd still pick Toronto over all these places though... But I know you've ruled it out. Too bad, if you could get over the COL thing, which isn't as bad as you think, it would be exactly what you are looking for. e.g. When we told my parents how much we paid for our health plan from each paycheck, our co-pays, and the other fees, they were astonished and frankly were laughing. Just saying.)
That's two for Stamford.

We originally thought that Toronto was going to be a great fit which is why it was the first city we visited. It just was toooooooo expensive. Unfortunately, they are in the midst of their own housing speculation boom and have made COL prohibitive. We would have to live in one of the outlying suburbs, which didn't appeal to us. Maybe there will be opportunities in the future of NY doesn't work. Out. Thanks for your comments!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM

75 posts, read 120,057 times
Since you have no small children Yonkers by Kimball Ave and McClean has a strong sense of community. Look into South East Yonkers and the Woodlawn area of the Bronx which borders with Yonkers. I used to live there and moved to White Plains 6 years ago and I miss the strong sense of community that I had there it also has easy access to many stores, the Metro north, there are plenty of parks and places to walk around including the side walks of many of the streets.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutbetty View Post
Since you have no small children Yonkers by Kimball Ave and McClean has a strong sense of community. Look into South East Yonkers and the Woodlawn area of the Bronx which borders with Yonkers. I used to live there and moved to White Plains 6 years ago and I miss the strong sense of community that I had there it also has easy access to many stores, the Metro north, there are plenty of parks and places to walk around including the side walks of many of the streets.
Thanks much for the suggestion. We will be checking out the areas you recommended along with Riverdale during our next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County