Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,990 times

Advertisements

Urban Dictionary: Eastchester

^How much of that is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
It's as true as any of the UD descriptions of any of the towns on this board. Which is to say, it's no so far off the mark -- at least from the perspective of some high school kid. But hey, they're willing to say what their parents might not care to admit. Compare the first UD posting you put up with the others about Eastchester and note how consistent they are. Then compare with UD entries on Bronxville, Scarsdale, Pelham etc. Each town has a flavor to it and the UD entries capture them quite well IMO. For further calibration look at a town on LI that you think you know about and see how much rings true.

Thinking of moving to Eastchester?

Last edited by kletter1mann; 07-06-2012 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Borders closed a year ago.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
LOL...the only thing that you want to refute from that entry is "Borders closed"?

That alone might tell you all you need to know.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
LOL...the only thing that you want to refute from that entry is "Borders closed"?

That alone might tell you all you need to know.
Tell me what

You haven't lived in the area long enough to know how funny and close to the mark that UD definition is.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Tell me what

You haven't lived in the area long enough to know how funny and close to the mark that UD definition is.
I think she meant "tell the OP all he needs to know," not you.

Newcomers to this board should always consult the UD before posting questions. they're much more accurate than anyone could imagine on capturing the vibe of the place. Can we post a list of links to town descriptions and make it a sticky?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Jeez, can't people take sarcasm? And yes, I meant tell the OP, not you.

The OP was clearly disturbed by what was printed in the UD, so he asked us if it was true. You said, basically...no it isn't true...only because Borders closed. I find that funny. I would guess that hanging out at Borders was likely the least distressing thing in that thread.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Jeez, can't people take sarcasm? And yes, I meant tell the OP, not you.

The OP was clearly disturbed by what was printed in the UD, so he asked us if it was true. You said, basically...no it isn't true...only because Borders closed. I find that funny. I would guess that hanging out at Borders was likely the least distressing thing in that thread.
sometimes it doesn't come across so clearly when written.. Anyway, as for the OP, I think the guy isn't distressed at all, nor does he plan to move here. IMO he's just stirring the pot for his own entertainment from the vantage point of LI.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
It's as true as any of the UD descriptions of any of the towns on this board. Which is to say, it's no so far off the mark -- at least from the perspective of some high school kid. But hey, they're willing to say what their parents might not care to admit. Compare the first UD posting you put up with the others about Eastchester and note how consistent they are. Then compare with UD entries on Bronxville, Scarsdale, Pelham etc. Each town has a flavor to it and the UD entries capture them quite well IMO. For further calibration look at a town on LI that you think you know about and see how much rings true.

Thinking of moving to Eastchester?
It's a stereotype. My son graduated in 2011; two kids got into Harvard. So how can two kids get into Harvard if everyone is an uneducated jerk?

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-10-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It's a stereotype. My son graduated in 2011; two kids got into Harvard. So how can two kids get into Harvard if everyone is an uneducated jerk?
I'm just posting links to UD, not bashing Eastchester. It's the contributors to UD that are bashing Eastchester. Anyway, the fact that a couple kids got into Harvard has nothing to do with the larger social milieu. Obviously 100% of the population can't be uneducated jerks. Or maybe those kids are the exception that proves the rule? Or perhaps Harvard seeks social diversity and colorful regional accents?

Whatever the case, a disproportionate fraction of the town most certainly can be nouveau riche greaseballs. Same as a disproportionate fraction of Rye kids would likely be stereotyped as "preppy." Given your personal engagement in Eastchester perhaps you could comment on the actual substance of the UD entries and social environment instead of dismissing it with the observation that 2 kids went to Harvard and ad hominem attacks on the messenger. That you don't dispute the substance simply validates it in my mind.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-10-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County