Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,938 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple in our mid-20's looking to potentially move to Mamaroneck as we love being on the water, with the various restaurants/bars up Mamaroneck Ave., and the overall feel of the town.

Are there any unsafe/sketchy areas of town that we should avoid while looking at places? We're looking at condos/co-ops so would also love to know if there are any specifically we should avoid due to this reason. We've seen some posts but they were pretty dated from a few years back so wanted to hear from any other younger couples in the area and anyone who has lived there.

We want to ensure that we will feel safe if we're alone walking from the train at night back home. We're also looking to purchase a place here, so we want to ensure we aren't buying in a bad area of town for resell purposes in the future. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
There's no place in Mamaroneck which is unsafe. But some parts are certainly more visually attractive than others and have nicer housing than others. There is an older industrial area bounded by the I95 and the train tracks in the (some beer warehouses, a fish smoking place, a tortilla factory etc) but there's no housing in that part anyway.

If you are buying condos, I can't think of any condos that aren't in decent parts of town. The most expensive parts of town don't have many condos that I can think of. But there's no unsafe place and you van walk to any part of town safely even if you catch the last train out of GCT.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
It's all safe. The "flats" is an unattractive area of warehouse/industrial buildings and older houses. But I would guess there is about as much crime in Mamaroneck as there is in a more uniformly wealthy community like Rye.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
I live in the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck. I think I would feel safe walking anywhere in Mamaroneck. However, there are certain areas I probably would not buy a house mainly the major flood zones.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Mamaroneck is considered the South Bronx (circa 1979) of Westchester.

Just kidding, I don't even get the premise of the topic. The most unsafe area of Mamaroneck is like the grossest part of a chocolate cake as far as I am concerned.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM

71 posts, read 104,554 times
Mamaroneck real estate is fascinating, as far as condos go, currently listed, you can go from $299K to well over 1.5 million! I like the Orienta Condo Complex - check it out, great amenities.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 AM

185 posts, read 422,572 times
Go for it! If you want to walk to the train, go from the Halstead Ave side of the station and follow up the fork that runs up behind Mamaroneck Ave (smashburger) to Palmer ave - Fenimore Rd, Maple, Livingston, etc. Great area close to train, water, and Avenue

Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 AM

173 posts, read 351,639 times
Default Thoughts on Fairway Green?

Just wondering what folks think of the Fairway Green townhouses in Mamaroneck, compared to Orienta or other neighborhood complexes - I see that one is up for sale. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 PM

71 posts, read 104,554 times
Fairway Green voted on converting from Single Family to Condominium which would result in the possibility of a significant reduction in taxes. This has not yet been completed. Also, there is an assessment of $100/month began in March and ends August 2017.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 PM

218 posts, read 605,521 times
As was said above, my understanding about buying in Mamaroneck is to be weary of the flood zones. Can anyone in the know provide the streets that make up the perimeter of the flood zone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: