Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
And that is just the train. It doesn't factor in travel to and from the train.
Yes total commute time is the relevant factor. Door-to-desk of an hour or under is a psychological limit for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 31,600 times
Yes, we don't want to go beyond a 45 mins train ride at least at the beginning of our search. But please keep the suggestions flowing in. The more the better!

Thanks so much for your all inputs!!

Old 05-24-2016, 03:02 PM

After reading everyone's posts we are also going to check out Larchmont and Rye Brook along with Edgemont and Ardsley.

It seems like the Larchmont doesn't have it's own high school. Do residents go to the Rye Brook High School or Mamaroneck High School?
How would you compare these towns in regards to middle and high schools, kids activities/classes, entertainment (both outdoor and indoors)???

Thanks!!

Old 05-24-2016, 03:13 PM

974 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working-mom-of-two View Post
After reading everyone's posts we are also going to check out Larchmont and Rye Brook along with Edgemont and Ardsley.

It seems like the Larchmont doesn't have it's own high school. Do residents go to the Rye Brook High School or Mamaroneck High School?
How would you compare these towns in regards to middle and high schools, kids activities/classes, entertainment (both outdoor and indoors)???

Thanks!!
There is no rye brook high school. Rye brook homes will mostly go to blind brook high school or port Chester high school. The former is a tiny high school i don't know much about and the later might be majority Spanish with a high incidence of drop outs, young single moms and other problems afflicting immigrant and minority communities.

Larchmont goes to mamaroneck.

My recommendation is that you house shop by school district and not by town or village. Pick what school district you want and go from there. It matters much less what your mailing address is or which municipal government you want.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post

My recommendation is that you house shop by school district and not by town or village. Pick what school district you want and go from there. It matters much less what your mailing address is or which municipal government you want.
That's a great idea!! Thanks for this suggestion. But how does one house shop according to school district?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:56 PM

974 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Quote:
That's a great idea!! Thanks for this suggestion. But how does one house shop according to school district?
Very simple. Just decide which school district you want to live in and shop for houses within that district. Especially when you have kids, the school district is the single greatest factor defining where you live.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:24 AM

276 posts, read 398,397 times
Quote:
When I did this for our recent move to Westchester, I used Houlihan Lawrence, which allows you to set your search parameters by school district. It was very helpful to help being confused by city borders.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
When I did this for our recent move to Westchester, I used Houlihan Lawrence, which allows you to set your search parameters by school district. It was very helpful to help being confused by city borders.
Yes - this is especially important given that the SD borders and town or village borders are not coterminous. For example, in Mamaroneck houses south of the Mamaroneck river and in Larchmont attend the Mamaroneck school district. But north of the river they go to the Rye Neck school district. Some towns and villages make more sense with the boundaries. But then there are also some unincorporated areas...

Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Thank you so much for sharing a link for house search according to school districts. My next critical question in our search....

Which school districts do you recommend? This has totally thrown me off my search because I was doing it according to towns!

Thank you! Thank you!!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
Hi OP -

I'm more familiar with the western side of Westchester along the Hudson line.
For a 45 min commute on the Hudson line, you're probably not going to want to go north of the Tarrytown stop. I'm in Dobbs Ferry which is about 4 miles south of Tarrytown, and a local train to GCT is 45-50 mins, to give you a general idea. Express trains can shave that down to 35 mins, but it's sometimes good to consider whether you will always take the express vs. local train during your commute as that can greatly impact your timelines. Also, to stick to the 45 min timeline, you may want to keep your search more to the South of the county.

For your budget, you'll have decent selections in most of the river towns up through Tarrytown (Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Tarrytown). You may also want to check out Ardsley, though home prices are a big higher, maybe on par with Irvington. The only consideration in Ardsley is that your drive to and from the train may take a little longer, and using the Ardsley station may involve less trains stopping there.

A lot of people relocating seem to really like Hastings, I've heard it has a lot of Brooklyn transplants and seems to have a sort of laid-back feel to it as opposed to some of the more affluent and homogeneous towns like Rye or Scarsdale.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County