Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 PM

47 posts, read 97,176 times

Advertisements

Hello! In my never-ending quest to find a home somewhere in Westchester, my research has landed me on Edgemont. Wondering if someone can tell me what it's like. I have two young children who are mixed (half-black and half-white) and the schools there seem very diverse and very good, so that was immediately appealing to me - I also love that it's not too far from the city as both my husband and I commute.
Can anyone tell me what your experience has been living there? Also, I'm a little confused - is it technically part of Scarsdale?
Finally, as my youngest will still be in daycare for a few years, does anyone have recommendations for daycares in that area?
Thank you so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 02:46 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Its not a part of Scarsdale. Most of the houses there have Scarsdale mailing addresses. This means nothing, and if you are new to the NY suburbs, realize that mailing address means nothing except for the needs of the US Post Office. Instead, you will be living in the Town of Greenburgh. There is a movement afoot to incorporate this area into a Village, presumably to be called the Village of Edgemont. But frankly, I have not followed it as of late. If the incorporation occurs, you will be living in both the Village of Edgemont and the Town of Greenburgh. Any services not provided by the Village will be provided for by the Town. And the Village will control local issues such as zoning. Now, Greenburgh controls this. For commuting to the city by train, you may only get access to parking at stops in Greenburgh, and not in Scarsdale, but others may know more about this than me.

Edgemont is a small school district. For instance, its high school is much smaller than Scarsdale HS. Many people like small schools. Many people like big schools. Each has its pluses and minuses.

I don't think there is anywhere in Westchester where people will care if a kid is half-black and half-white, but if you and/or your kids care about being around minorities, Edgemont is a good place, although I think a lot of its diversity is well-to-do Asians, if that means anything to you.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Its not a part of Scarsdale. Most of the houses there have Scarsdale mailing addresses. This means nothing, and if you are new to the NY suburbs, realize that mailing address means nothing except for the needs of the US Post Office. Instead, you will be living in the Town of Greenburgh. There is a movement afoot to incorporate this area into a Village, presumably to be called the Village of Edgemont. But frankly, I have not followed it as of late. If the incorporation occurs, you will be living in both the Village of Edgemont and the Town of Greenburgh. Any services not provided by the Village will be provided for by the Town. And the Village will control local issues such as zoning. Now, Greenburgh controls this. For commuting to the city by train, you may only get access to parking at stops in Greenburgh, and not in Scarsdale, but others may know more about this than me.

Edgemont is a small school district. For instance, its high school is much smaller than Scarsdale HS. Many people like small schools. Many people like big schools. Each has its pluses and minuses.

I don't think there is anywhere in Westchester where people will care if a kid is half-black and half-white, but if you and/or your kids care about being around minorities, Edgemont is a good place, although I think a lot of its diversity is well-to-do Asians, if that means anything to you.
Thanks for this. As for your last point... any diversity will do - I just don't want my kids to feel like, or worse be treated like, outsiders in a nearly all-white community.

When I put the town of Greenburgh in Zillow, nothing comes up - I guess this is because of the mailing address situation that you described?

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 PM

276 posts, read 397,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venoca View Post
Thanks for this. As for your last point... any diversity will do - I just don't want my kids to feel like, or worse be treated like, outsiders in a nearly all-white community.

When I put the town of Greenburgh in Zillow, nothing comes up - I guess this is because of the mailing address situation that you described?

I would go to Houlihan Lawrence and do a search based on school district. Then you can see what is available. If you strongly prefer Zillow, the best way is to manually draw a map (assuming you know the physical boundaries of the school district). It's not easy, but you can save the search for future reference.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venoca View Post

I would not use Zillow. For instance when it lists nearby schools it will list schools that are in a different district but are nearby. This is useless and misleading. Instead, you should shop for houses via school district. I don’t think Zillow has this function. Certain real estate sites do. Find a site that allows you to perform a search via school district and select edgemont.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:37 AM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Just curious, but have there been any school districts suggested to you that haven’t been “good”? I’m just asking, because it seems like the biggest differences will be in terms of enrollment size versus school quality thus far.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but have there been any school districts suggested to you that haven’t been “good”? I’m just asking, because it seems like the biggest differences will be in terms of enrollment size versus school quality thus far.
Hi ckh. You are correct. Graduating class size has been the biggest variant so far. That said, New Rochelle was also suggested to me, with some caveats about the quality of the school’s there. The school district there did not necessarily seem to be universally accepted as “good” and gave me pause, which is a shame, because New Rochelle checks off many, many of our other boxes.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
I would go to Houlihan Lawrence and do a search based on school district. Then you can see what is available. If you strongly prefer Zillow, the best way is to manually draw a map (assuming you know the physical boundaries of the school district). It's not easy, but you can save the search for future reference.
Okay. This is helpful. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County