Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 01:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times

Advertisements

It's currently 11/13/20 and Covid is spiking again. Our schools are still in-person, 5 days per week for the younger ones and a hybrid for the older. In my district we've already had one or two of the schools go remote and then come back after a student tested positive.

How much longer until it's out of the schools' hands? I see that Port Chester is now orange, which effectively means schools need to close as it is likely going to be logistically impossible to test 20% of the school population every week (a requirement for an orange zone to remain open).

Early on, it looked like 3% positivity rate was the magic number, which I know we are over in Westchester now. But then I read somewhere else that 9% is the actual magic number but that the teachers union has agreed that 3% would be their ceiling.

It feels like a shutdown is right around the corner. Not expecting anyone to have a crystal ball, but thought it'd be nice to have a Westchester thread for people to share their experiences as things start to close. I'm in the Byram Hills district and as of today, no news is good news. However we did get an email from the school district today saying that if we go orange we'll have to go remote as we cannot do 20% testing per week.

Good luck to us all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 08:42 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
soon

Old 11-14-2020, 07:53 PM

139 posts, read 211,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
soon
Yeah I don't even think we're making it to Thanksgiving

Old 11-15-2020, 01:24 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
The 3% is just for NYC itself, a deal made with the union. I think for the rest of the state it's 9%

Old 11-15-2020, 01:37 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The 3% is just for NYC itself, a deal made with the union. I think for the rest of the state it's 9%
which sounds incredibly high

Old 11-16-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
which sounds incredibly high
Yeah 9% seems really high. It's important to remember what the percentage represents- it is the percentage of tests that come back positive. It isn't the number of cases. So a low percentage coupled with a lot of testing means just as many cases as back earlier in the year when there was not a lot of testing and a higher positivity percentage.

I see that Mt. Vernon went remote today, and I believe Port Chester is already remote. I've heard rumors that teachers in neighboring counties are being told to plan not to come back after Thanksgiving, but that's "heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard..." so I don't put too much faith in it yet.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:00 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Larger than just schools - I see another "lockdown" as being inevitable, and with that, schools will have to go remote... I started prepping, picking up things that were hardest to find back in March/April....and preparing myself for another few months of staying home.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Larger than just schools - I see another "lockdown" as being inevitable, and with that, schools will have to go remote... I started prepping, picking up things that were hardest to find back in March/April....and preparing myself for another few months of staying home.
Same here- I actually bought a second freezer when things calmed down a little over the summer as I knew it would be coming back, and it was annoying having to scrounge for chicken when it stays fresh in a deep freezer for a very long time.

Also I accidentally stocked up on paper products- we use Amazon subscribe and save, and during the first lockdown Amazon kept skipping our deliveries due to low stock. We made it through but the shelves in the basement were starting to get a bit bare. Also, we assumed that a skipped delivery meant it was cancelled. However, once Amazon's inventories replenished, they sent us all the old orders that they missed plus our new ones so we now have a mountain of paper products in the basement. Funny!

Old 11-16-2020, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 6,663 times
I'm worried about teachers and school staff. I hope they make the decision before they start to get sick from asymptomatic carriers, and it seems districts are only thinking about kids.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:46 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Same here- I actually bought a second freezer when things calmed down a little over the summer as I knew it would be coming back, and it was annoying having to scrounge for chicken when it stays fresh in a deep freezer for a very long time.

Also I accidentally stocked up on paper products- we use Amazon subscribe and save, and during the first lockdown Amazon kept skipping our deliveries due to low stock. We made it through but the shelves in the basement were starting to get a bit bare. Also, we assumed that a skipped delivery meant it was cancelled. However, once Amazon's inventories replenished, they sent us all the old orders that they missed plus our new ones so we now have a mountain of paper products in the basement. Funny!
LOL for some reason I was having so much anxiety over TP, never came close to running out because I keep a fairly well stocked supply in general. Right now I am good for the next year or so on that lol. Gonna stock up on some kitchen staples and then call it good. I will be working remotely for at least another 8 months if not permanently, so it doesn't change my life all that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: