Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 05:27 PM

26 posts, read 21,089 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what life is like in Mount Vernon, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 01:21 AM

10,328 posts, read 15,195,492 times
Which Mt Vernon are you talking about?

Many years ago I became acquainted with this town due to work and all I’m going to say is that southern Mt Vernon and northern Mt Vernon are two worlds apart. I like better northern Mt Vernon. In the southern part of Mt Vernon I was even told by a resident there to be careful, recently they discovered two bodies near the tracks and that I was being “sized up.” Needless to say, I didn’t enjoy much of Mt Vernon. Maybe it has changed, but I doubt it.

I met a lot of Brazilians there. All were from Minas Gerais. It left me wondering what was going on in Minas Gerais that so many moved to Mt Vernon. Lol

I also met a lot of Jamaicans. As has always been my experience with Jamaicans, very nice people or at least they always give me a good treatment. In fact, the person that gaved me the warning was a Jamaican himself.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:54 AM

94,202 posts, read 125,054,708 times
^The impression I get that even in southern Mount Vernon, the eastern half or so is more middle class(i.e.-Vernon Heights/Parkside, closer to Pelham).

Old 05-14-2024, 01:57 PM

Maybe, I haven’t been there in a long time. I do remember that there is a quick change when going from Bronxville (another that is right there, yet a world away) to Mt Vernon.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:41 PM

26 posts, read 21,089 times
Default Mt. Vernon

Thank you for the reply because I was looking at housing in the area. I don't know anything about Mt. Vernon but thanks for the caution, I appreciate it

Old 05-14-2024, 07:31 PM

611 posts, read 2,102,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Maybe, I haven’t been there in a long time. I do remember that there is a quick change when going from Bronxville (another that is right there, yet a world away) to Mt Vernon.
Not at all: the ten blocks or so (running north to south) that border Bronxville are well-to-do and suburban . And even south of there, Mount Vernon remains just fine for awhile. (See posts about the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon)

Mount Vernon has crime, both on its street and its schools, but even the "worst" parts of Mount Vernon, in the SW part of the city, are just fine a great majority of the time, if a bit "gritty"

Old 05-15-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Mount Vernon has crime, both on its street and its schools, but even the "worst" parts of Mount Vernon, in the SW part of the city, are just fine a great majority of the time, if a bit "gritty"
Isn’t that the case everywhere with a crime issue? It’s similar to a murderer. They aren’t judged and run with problems with the law the 99% of the time they aren’t killing someone and are just regular people.

Old 05-23-2024, 06:13 PM

11,353 posts, read 18,991,353 times
Mount Vernon native here (grew up in 70s and 80s and still live nearby, mom still lives in the house I grew up in and I visit twice a week) so AntonioR's and Wes 927's takes are very correct.

Basically the southern half (the Metro North New Haven line tracks are the basic divide) is mostly an extension of the northern Bronx (and I don't mean Riverdale). It's population is almost 100% minority (mostly African American with a sprinkling of Hispanic)

The northern half is more suburban (especially the part bordering Bronxville), though there's neighborhoods like Fleetwood that are basically kind of "upscale urban" at a much lower cost than Manhattan and even a little cheaper than downtown White Plains or Stamford. It is very diverse with a little of every race and ethnicity.

Big thing about living in the nice areas Wes927 mentioned is they are (only slightly) cheaper than nearby suburban areas because of the schools. The neighborhood elementary school there (Pennington) is fine, but after that it is pretty much 1 or 2 middle and high schools for the entire city and most who live there either move or put their kids in parochial schools. But if schools aren't an issue that neighborhood is great!

Old 05-23-2024, 06:49 PM

94,202 posts, read 125,054,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Mount Vernon native here (grew up in 70s and 80s and still live nearby, mom still lives in the house I grew up in and I visit twice a week) so AntonioR's and Wes 927's takes are very correct.

Basically the southern half (the Metro North New Haven line tracks are the basic divide) is mostly an extension of the northern Bronx (and I don't mean Riverdale). It's population is almost 100% minority (mostly African American with a sprinkling of Hispanic)

The northern half is more suburban (especially the part bordering Bronxville), though there's neighborhoods like Fleetwood that are basically kind of "upscale urban" at a much lower cost than Manhattan and even a little cheaper than downtown White Plains or Stamford. It is very diverse with a little of every race and ethnicity.

Big thing about living in the nice areas Wes927 mentioned is they are (only slightly) cheaper than nearby suburban areas because of the schools. The neighborhood elementary school there (Pennington) is fine, but after that it is pretty much 1 or 2 middle and high schools for the entire city and most who live there either move or put their kids in parochial schools. But if schools aren't an issue that neighborhood is great!
Do you know if more are going with Montfort Academy in the city?: https://www.themontfortacademy.org/

It also looks like the Denzel Washington School of the Arts HS has been a good specialty school within the school district: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000060408
https://dwsa.mtvernoncsd.org/

Old 05-24-2024, 09:11 AM

7,494 posts, read 4,253,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you know if more are going with Montfort Academy in the city?: https://www.themontfortacademy.org/

It also looks like the Denzel Washington School of the Arts HS has been a good specialty school within the school district: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000060408
https://dwsa.mtvernoncsd.org/
I know Montfort! When Montfort was in Katonah, my son was accepted. It was too cliquey. Not my cup of tea. We took a hard pass.

The deal with Mount Vernon is the number of private schools in White Plains and nearby. There is Archbishop Stepinac High School, German International School New York, Keio Academy and Solomon Schechter School Of Westchester. Nearby is Rye Country Day School, the French-American School of NY, The Hackley School.

Mount Vernon has good public transportation and many private school buses have Mount Vernon stops. With MetroNorth, it's not usual for students to go to Fordham Prep and other NYC private schools.

Usually, parents will drive kids to grammar schools, afterwards, you are spoilt for choices with private schools within reach of public transportation or provided school buses. Remember, Mount Vernon to White Plains is 10 miles - hardly a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County