Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 31,230 times

Advertisements

you can totally do rye for 400k - if you go co-op.
there are some cute ones, within walking distance to the mta...grand central in 30-45mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 29,321 times
Default Westchester Shopping Stinks

Hey havoc315, dma1250 and various others. When it comes to supermarkets, shopping, restaurants and the like, i'd like to hear you start giving actual examples of what you're talking about.

Enough of the "Every place in Westchester is close to groceries, sushi, etc", or "I don't think you can be more than 5 minutes from sushi even if you try. Good Thai on the other hand".

I've lived in Westchester for 2 1/2 years and follow this forum often. I think I speak for many Westchester residents when I say you are greatly exaggerating the state of shopping and dining in the county.

I will prove my point because you cannot prove me wrong. Compared to other local/national counties, when it comes to shopping and dining, Westchester absolutely stinks.

It's a joke. Highest taxes in the nation for such a terrible selection of supermarkets/stores/shopping.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
Wonder how often you left your home when you lived in Westchester. While naturally, Westchester pales in comparison to Manhattan in those terms, it has far more than you will find in most places.
If sushi was the question, within a short drive of my home, I prefer Kira Sushi, or Ace. Abis isn't bad. Asian Spoon is good but overpriced. Azuma could be worth the drive, but it's a bit far from where I live now. Within a short drive, there are another half dozen sushi places to choose from.
If it's fine dining you want, there are enough truly fine restaurants in Westchester, that you don't need to go into Manhattan. From the sustainable cuisine at Blue Hill, the modern take at X2O, the seasonal fare at Bedford Post, the fine french at Le Panatiere, just for starters.
If shopping was the question.. Westchester has at least one of every imaginable big box store. If you are talking about luxury brands, just visit The Westchester in White Plains for luxury stores like Tiffany, Coach, etc. If it's small locally owned shopped you prefer, try a walk through Katonah, Scarsdale, etc.

If it's supermarkets you're talking about, I split my grocery shopping mostly through the Super A&P in Mount Kisco and the Shoprite in Thornwood. I'll also utilized Trader Joes, Whole Foods and the Super Stop & Shop in White Plains. Less often, I've used Stew Leaonards, as well as some of the more local markets. Certainly no shortage of supermarkets.

I think your point has been proven wrong.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
Sushi within 5 minutes of my house: Hanada, Okinawa (YH)
Sushi within 15 minutes: Samurai, Blue, Okinawa, Tengda
Good Thai: Thai Angeles, 15 minutes away in Mt Kisco

Good Supermarkets: Turcos in Yorktown, Zetyinia in Croton, Super A&P in Yorktown and Mt Kisco, Food Emporioum in Yorktown (not that good). We get orgainic meats, milk and cheeses from Hemlock Hill Farm (3 minutes from my house) and in season we go to Meadows Market in Yorktown and the farmers markets in Peekskill, Ossining, and Mt Kisco.

It is not Manhattan at all, but compared to when I lived in Brooklyn the area has a relative bounty of good restaurants and shopping. We will sometimes travel 15 or 20 minutes to get to a good place, but we did that in the city all the time.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 PM

5 posts, read 16,037 times
If you are in the arts field, downtown NYC is the only thing you will consider "nightlife" all others are just "First Friday Fare".

Good area to look in NYC is Hudson Heights (by Ft Tryon Park) - lots of artists in community and 400k just might score you a livable studio in this market. But if you need more room, consider Yonkers' RiverFront apartments 25 min to theatre district, or Tarrytown 40 min to midtown.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM

23 posts, read 63,799 times
I live in Pleasantville and we are looking to buy something in a range $400.000 - $450.000.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: No Real estate sites, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County