Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Yeah, wasn't expecting too much in the way of diversity but that's ok considering the proximity to the city and that I have a very diverse group of friends already. I assume people are no longer as racist as they were back in the day (??). My daughter is white but has a spanish last name, that wouldn't be an issue, correct? Guess I'm not really in need of any more friends, but I hate the type of place where you walk by your neighbor and they can't even crack a darn smile.

No no at all. There are acutally many white/hispanic mixed peoples in Eastchester and some full hispanics. I lived in eastchester since i was 2 and am now 21. i have known many people that were atleast part hispanic including my brothers girlfriend (cuban/italian). You could catch racism but its the same racism you see in the bronx or any part of the city, just people being ignorant and Mod cut: languagefor the hell of it.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 12,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
And also to this person saying a large italian poplulation is not true is absolutely and overwhelmingly false. I am irish myself and while there are plenty of irish people, the town is very much italian. Almost like how most of the white people in staten island are italian. It is the same thing in eastchester. Literally ALL of my friends growing up are italian.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:37 PM

33 posts, read 152,846 times
Eastchester does have a St. Patrick's day parade (and a Columbus day parade) and when I read that previous post I wondered if that poster just came from the St. Patrick's parade. I have to agree with Styles. I too am Irish, parents were born there, & Eastchester is NOT known as an Irish neighborhood. Most people in my circle view Easchester as an Italian neighborhood, but perhaps that's because I come from what I view as a very Irish Catholic neighborhood.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
I'm new to this forum and wanted to note regarding "hiking" that Twin Lakes Park and Nature Study Woods in the eastern section of Eastchester do have an extensive trail network and are very pretty (in parts you see nothing but forest and the only sign of civilization is hearing the Hutch Parkway in the distance). But it is fairly "level" hiking (you're not going to see real elevation changes until you go about another 20+ miles north) and the park also offers horseback riding on the trails, so you have to watch not to step on you-know-what.But you might be better off if you're driving to the West Side living in Dobbs Ferry anyway. And if you're one of those people who are obsessed with nitpicking about Scarsdale vs. Eastchester schools, etc., you can even send your kids to Ardsley schools if you live in the easternmost 1/4 of Dobbs. But personally I think there's only a few school districts to truly avoid in Westchester and even in some of those it's either mostly middle school or beyond or specific sections of the district that are the problem (i.e. I think even Mt. Vernon is OK on the elementary level if you live in Fleetwood or near the Bronxville line, but having to worry about beyond that is a problem).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-18-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylesC12 View Post
And also to this person saying a large italian poplulation is not true is absolutely and overwhelmingly false. I am irish myself and while there are plenty of irish people, the town is very much italian. Almost like how most of the white people in staten island are italian. It is the same thing in eastchester. Literally ALL of my friends growing up are italian.

You're totally correct, Styles. Eastchester is blessed to have a majority Italian population. I myself am Irish and there were a few of us, along with a few Jewish families. I grew up there (Channing Place and Leewood Circle) and most of my family still lives in the area and have done since they got off the boat from Ireland in the 1860s. It is a nice town and growing up there was a good experience. The schools are good and we rode our bikes everywhere. I think it would be a good bet for a new, young family.

And that's my tuppence.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,740 times
Quelinda, there are more Boricuas in Eastchester than people think, Second and third generation and mixed marriages have produced an eclectic mix. Think Irishman- PR woman. And vice-versa. But I still go to the Heights for pernil and rice and beans. There are a few upscale Latino resturants close by Don Coqui, Palomino, Mambo 64 to name a few. All of the comments so far have been on the mark. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 799 times
havoc315, are you still in Eastchester and sent kids to middle/high schools? I would love to hear about any experience. I am choosing the town to move to raise kids. Scarsdale seems stressful so Eastchester might be the same. or do you have any insights?

Old 09-27-2023, 06:56 PM

454 posts, read 763,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnDown5250 View Post
not from a racial or stereotypical standpoint, but the town is mostly Italian, thats a fact. just pointing it out there if thats what you're looking for.

My god, are we still talking about things like this? I think it’s 30% people of Italian ancestry, which means immaculate homes and lawns and nice neighbors. Geez.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:40 PM

81 posts, read 85,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
My god, are we still talking about things like this? I think it’s 30% people of Italian ancestry, which means immaculate homes and lawns and nice neighbors. Geez.
Dude, you do realize you just quoted a post from ***2009***?

Old 09-28-2023, 04:56 AM

454 posts, read 763,740 times
No, actually I didn’t see the date. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County