Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times

Advertisements

A jitney is a little bus or other transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:59 PM

38 posts, read 125,506 times
Default jitney

A bus that takes commuters from a housing complex to the trains.
Our runs from 6ish to 8pm people that live here and commute to NYC love it.. No car or parking fees etc...

Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 PM

17 posts, read 32,444 times
a few people mentioned on here that white plains is a nice place to live, like a little city, can anyone recommend a part of white plains that is quiet and is not to far preferably walkable to a metro north station. thanks for the replies

Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YANKEEFAN4EVER View Post
a few people mentioned on here that white plains is a nice place to live, like a little city, can anyone recommend a part of white plains that is quiet and is not to far preferably walkable to a metro north station. thanks for the replies
WP is not "like a little city" it is a city. Rents are very expensive so you should tell us your budget to get more recommendations. To start, North White Plains is quiet and has its own train stop, check it out.

Last edited by ambarstone; 07-02-2009 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: double word

Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM

thanks for the reply, i plan on purchasing a co-op, i prb wanna spend anywhere up to $200,000. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
thanks for the reply, i plan on purchasing a co-op, i prb wanna spend anywhere up to $200,000. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
OK-I don't know why I though you were switching from buying to renting. You can still take a look at North White Plains/valhalla. There is a co-op called the Edgebrook that can have one bed for under 200K. Also, North Broadway in WP has several co-ops that are far enough from the noise yet convenient. Tanglewood (101 North Broadway/260 Church St) comes to mind. They have units there for well under 200K...(you should not pay that for a one bed by the way, it is too much!!). The units at Tanglewood are small but the complex is well kept-I visited friends there often and is what I noticed. Note that these complexes are garden co-ops. You will find more peace and quiet in these type than in taller buildings.
Hope this helps

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM

thanks for the help ambarstone, by chance are they ones you mentioned walkable to the metronorth stations, thank you

Old 07-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
thanks for the help ambarstone, by chance are they ones you mentioned walkable to the metronorth stations, thank you
Tanglewood/North Broadway co-ops are 10-15 minutes walk from the WP train station. Other complex not sure but is a 5 minute ride tops.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:56 PM

thanks for the help ambarstone

Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 10,372 times
I live in a co-op in the Bronxville post office area. Co-ops in the village itself were too expensive for me. I paid 250K for a one bedroom, about a seven minute walk from the train, two years ago, on Palmer Road. Prices have come down, and some are listed at 200K or lower. It's a nice place to live.

Board approval from the co-op takes at least two months, so factor that into your plans. My experience from accepted bid to closing was two months.

Most buildings have limited parking, so be sure to check. My building has a three year plus wait for a space. Parking on the street is not a problem where I am. Usually I am within a block of my building. Monday nights are tricky, alternate side on Tuesday removes a lot of spaces. Sometimes on Monday night I park four or five blocks away. And last winter was no fun. I had to shovel my car out to make sure it didn't get iced in.

The buildings on Bronxville Road and West Pondfield have a tougher time parking close by the building. Yonkers now requires a resident sticker to park in that area, but there are still no spaces whenever I walk by there.

You might want to check buildings near the Fleetwood station, around Bronx River Road. The asking prices there have fallen more than in Bronxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County