Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 19,762 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone, so much for your suggestions. PEMom, I was feeling exactly like you, what is the harm in being the only Jewish kid in the class... But it turns out that I was wrong. We had a bad experience that affected my daughter negatively. If the child is not as sensitive, probably there wouldn't be a problem, but in our case there was and this is obviously the reason I'm looking for solutions. If there was 1 more child in the class, I don't think it would have been a big issue. I am planning on calling the schools and get some more information from them. I'll keep you posted... Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,855 times
EstherMom,

I'd love to hear more about your (and your kids') experience in Eastchester as my wife and I are debating whether to settle in Eastchester for the long-term.

We currently live on Garth Road with our 4 year old son. While we love the neighborhood and are not particularly religious, we get the sense that we'll feel a bit out of place as our son progresses in school. Several observations drive this concern.

Most of the friends that we've made are, like us, highly-educated, young Jewish professionals. The bulk of those friends intend to lay roots outside of Eastchester as soon as their budgets permit (with most wanting to do so before their kids begin kindergarten). Many cite the perception of a small professional community and tiny Jewish population as their reason.

Based on our limited exposure to the greater Eastchester-area (i.e. beyond Garth Road), it seems that the town has a very small Jewish population. Indeed, the crowd appears to be ethnically (and I assume religiously) homogeneous, with a solid majority being of either Italian or Irish descent. If true, such a lack of ethnic diversity (as opposed to a mere lack of other Jews in the neighborhood) would be of some concern to us. (Note: I fully appreciate that many Westchester towns lack ethnic diversity as well, but a universe of more than two groups would be nice).

Moreover, of greater concern, Eastchester seems to have a noticeably smaller "white-collar" crowd than surrounding areas with similar home prices (e.g., Ardsley). I am basing this on nothing more than limited observation of people at Lake Isle and one playground in town, but the vibe I get is that the crowd does not seem to primarily consist of doctors, bankers, engineers, etc. While we don’t accept/reject friends based on occupation, the reality is that we have been most comfortable around and formed close friendships with the “white-collar” set.

In short, we want to lay roots in a community where we will connect with the other kids’ parents and where our kid won’t feel out of place. Your insights are much appreciated.
Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-16-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Not necesssary.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
What percent of Scarsdale is Jewish?
I'm trying to understand what percentage threshold does a town need to be at, to be considered "significantly jewish".

Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM

142 posts, read 961,508 times
If you are looking for a diverse community- where there is a substantial Jewish population- look into Mamaroneck School District- Larchmont does filter into this district. New Rochelle has some great schools- and many people love this district. I know several Jewish families that live in Eastchester- suprised. How could you possibly know if there are any other Jewish families in your child's class? How would a kindergartner even know to call someone jewish? My kids are half-Jewish- and I dont have an idea what their classmates religions are. We are in the Mamaroneck School District. Also- consider Irvington- great schools!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
I know several Jewish families that live in Eastchester- suprised. How could you possibly know if there are any other Jewish families in your child's class? How would a kindergartner even know to call someone jewish? My kids are half-Jewish- and I dont have an idea what their classmates religions are.
While not all Jewish people have "obvious" last names like say Cohen, Katz, Moskowitz, etc. and many who do may simply be of "partial Jewish decent" that is on their father's side of the family (thus the last name), they're probably called "Jewish" by the kids based on an "obvious" last name, though I admit I can't imagine a kindergartner knowing something like that.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 AM

142 posts, read 961,508 times
If parents are talking to their kindergartners about who is jewish or whatever religion_ then there is something seriously wrong with those parents. That would be the only explanation- I am sure it is an isolated incident by a child with incredibly ignorant parents. I have relatives w jewish last names (father jewish) that attend catholic school and have never heard anything like that. yes- while eastchester is predominantly Irish & Italian- there are definitely several families that are jewish or where one of the parents is jewish. shouldnt be a big deal and sorry your kids have to be in class w kids who have such ignorant parents.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
Most preschool and K-2 classes discuss the holidays and talk about the different winter holidays and the which holidays are celebrated at children's homes. Learning about the holidays is a pretty standard part of most curriculums in the early grades. Schools are always hyper careful to give equal play to every possible holiday, but there is usually a discussion of home traditions.

My son is aware that he is one of the handful of kids in his class each year who celebrate both Hanukah and Christmas; he knows how many kids celebrate Ramadan, how many celebrate Christmas, how many celebrate Hanukah, how many are Hindu and Buddhist. This has never been a problem of any kind and the discussions have always been handled well by the teacher.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM

69 posts, read 254,965 times
Bronxville and Rye are mostly Christian. Scarsdale, Chappaqua and Armonk have 30%+ Jewish students in the schools.
This is the school districts, the mailing addresses for Scarsdale and Bronxville include other cities

Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
If you live in Westchester county you're Irish. If not Irish, you're Italian, if not Italian, you're Jewish.

You'll be fine here.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,411 times
pleasantville is not good, my daughter goes to pleasantville high school and gets made fun of on a daily basis for being jewish .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County