Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,748 times

Advertisements

Today while driving on the Sprain Brook, I was distracted and went above the speed limit. It was 8 am, clear, sunny and the road was almost completely empty. (I'm not excusing my behavior; I just want you to know that I wasn't putting anyone else's life in danger.) Before I knew it, a cop was bearing down on me. I pulled over, and got a ticket that said I had "disobeyed a traffic control device." Other than a speed limit sign, there was no "traffic control device" on the road. Is the speed limit sign a traffic control device? The ticket requests that I plead guilty or not guilty and mail it in, or appear in court. There's nothing on it about a fine.

Has anyone ever gotten this type of ticket? What are the penalties?

What do you think I should do? Check "guilty," mail in the ticket and see what happens? Or go to court and say that I didn't see a traffic control device and hope for the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Did the cop say what you exactly did? Sounds pretty strange to me.

I have twice in my entire driving life (25 years!) gotten a speeding ticket and both times they plead it down in court. The first time it was pleaded down to what you got, "disobeyed traffic control device", where the device was the speed limit sign (this cut the number of points on the license), the other time to "parking on the Interstate" (which made it a non-points violation).

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM

374 posts, read 1,059,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
Today while driving on the Sprain Brook, I was distracted and went above the speed limit. It was 8 am, clear, sunny and the road was almost completely empty. (I'm not excusing my behavior; I just want you to know that I wasn't putting anyone else's life in danger.) Before I knew it, a cop was bearing down on me. I pulled over, and got a ticket that said I had "disobeyed a traffic control device." Other than a speed limit sign, there was no "traffic control device" on the road. Is the speed limit sign a traffic control device? The ticket requests that I plead guilty or not guilty and mail it in, or appear in court. There's nothing on it about a fine.

What do you think I should do? Check "guilty," mail in the ticket and see what happens? Or go to court and say that I didn't see a traffic control device and hope for the best?
My father in law got a ticket on the sprain also. It was the day after last thanksgiving. There was no one else on the road. I forget how much he was speeding, but the cop definitely hinted that he was more pissed that we were in the left lane a head of him than anything else. It was probably the same cop that gave you a ticket, there's no way any cop could be so upset over nothing.

This is why I always let cops pass me when I see them behind him. Unfortunately we were all so tired from the long trip that that we weren't paying attention to who was behind us on an empty road.

Anyhow, we have a lawyer in the family so went to court and got a minor fine. If it doesn't give you any points I would just pay the fine. Otherwise look into going to court. Sorry I can't help any more.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Did the cop say what you exactly did? Sounds pretty strange to me.
All he said was that I driving too fast. Since I realized that he could have given me a speeding ticket, but didn't, I just kept real quiet. I didn't want to blow it by saying the wrong thing.

Last edited by Mentat; 02-08-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
My father in law got a ticket on the sprain also. It was the day after last thanksgiving. There was no one else on the road.
Now that I've had this experience, a number of people have told me about having similar experiences on the Sprain--tickets with weird charges that get dropped or lowered in court. I'm guessing that this is a way of raising revenue for the county, since most people don't bother to go to court and probably just end up paying the fine just to get rid of the charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
If it doesn't give you any points I would just pay the fine. Otherwise look into going to court.
That charge gives 3 points!! I'm pleading not guilty with the hope that it'll get dismissed or lowered.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post

He probably cut you a break. But not that much depending on how fast you were going. A speed limit sign is a traffic control device. If you have a NY license that's fewer points than a speeding ticket, usually. You may be able to plead it down.

When the road is empty is when you are most likely to get ticketed. No where to hide and impossible to go with the flow.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM

64 posts, read 183,203 times
Unless he had a radar reading the case will be dismissed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County