Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM

108 posts, read 383,909 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Last time I was up to Roan Mountain in May, the road up to the old hotel site was closed (I assume because of winter damage). We were up there for hiking, so no big deal,... but now I have someone with limited mobility visiting and I'd love to go up there, but don't want to drive all that way to find that it's still closed. Does anyone know if it's open? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all your responses.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Is the area part of Roan Mountain State Park? If so, their number is 1-800-250-8620 -- it's probably best to just call and ask.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Ummm... most (or all?) of Roan Mountain is in TN. Certainly the state park is.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM

242 posts, read 596,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Ummm... most (or all?) of Roan Mountain is in TN. Certainly the state park is.
State park is but all of it isn't. I've gone up Roan Mountain before (unless I'm thinking of Roan Bluff) and saw a state line sign right after a turn off for the AT (assume the descent is on the NC side as we were still not descending when we got to the AT and state line sign). I was surprised myself. The road was Roan Rd. I have no idea which side this hotel is on but I'd wager its on the TN side.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 PM

30 posts, read 43,856 times
You might get more info if you post this in the Tennessee section. Those folks know their Roan Mountain.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
State park is but all of it isn't. I've gone up Roan Mountain before (unless I'm thinking of Roan Bluff) and saw a state line sign right after a turn off for the AT (assume the descent is on the NC side as we were still not descending when we got to the AT and state line sign). I was surprised myself. The road was Roan Rd. I have no idea which side this hotel is on but I'd wager its on the TN side.
Since I started this link, I guess I will wrap it up. The NC/TN state line crosses route 261/143 at Carvers Gap, and continues (with the AT) north over Roan High Knob, or south across the grassy balds.

Roan Mountain State Park is in TN, and apparently has really nice campgrounds, but that is several miles beyond Carvers Gap. There is also a town called Roan Mtn, which is even farther and (obviously) not on the mountain... no wonder we are all confused!

The road from Carver's Gap is open up to the Cloudland Hotel site and the Rhododendron gardens beyond. The parking lot by the old hotel site is all torn up (can't imagine why... looked fine the last time I was there), and there is no one at the fee station. THe bathrooms up there are open.
The Cloudland Hotel actually straddled the state line, and drinking was allowed in the TN side of the dining room, but not on the NC side!

The rhododendrons are gone by this year, but the area is still worth a visit!
Some very nice trails, and a good variety from easy trails right up to the AT itself.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:19 PM

242 posts, read 596,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
Since I started this link, I guess I will wrap it up. The NC/TN state line crosses route 261/143 at Carvers Gap, and continues (with the AT) north over Roan High Knob, or south across the grassy balds.

Roan Mountain State Park is in TN, and apparently has really nice campgrounds, but that is several miles beyond Carvers Gap. There is also a town called Roan Mtn, which is even farther and (obviously) not on the mountain... no wonder we are all confused!

The road from Carver's Gap is open up to the Cloudland Hotel site and the Rhododendron gardens beyond. The parking lot by the old hotel site is all torn up (can't imagine why... looked fine the last time I was there), and there is no one at the fee station. THe bathrooms up there are open.
The Cloudland Hotel actually straddled the state line, and drinking was allowed in the TN side of the dining room, but not on the NC side!

The rhododendrons are gone by this year, but the area is still worth a visit!
Some very nice trails, and a good variety from easy trails right up to the AT itself.
Now you jogged my memory a bit. I think there was a sign for the rhododendrons (but I don't remember the hotel) and another sign next to it saying this road is closed in winter. My dad was hunting for grassy balds, this was the one we could go to, and we didn't continue after the AT because he was looking for good pics for his book and nothing else. I was looking at Google Maps on the area and is the house directly after the state line sign the hotel you're talking about?
LOL at the bold.
Yep, you would've been better off posting it in the Johnson City, TN forum if you still needed help with it.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Well, my friend and I had a lovely walk on the Rhododendron Garden trail a couple of weeks ago, so I thought to take hubby up there today. And the damn road is closed again!!! There were tons of cars parked all over the road at Carvers Gap, and I'm sure many of those folks would have liked to take advantage of the upper trails, views and picnic areas (and bathrooms). Can anyone think of a single reason why the road would be closed on a lovely weekend in July??? It was 70 miles round trip to get there, so I am mighty annoyed and ready to give someone a piece of my mind (if I could figure out who)!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
Well, my friend and I had a lovely walk on the Rhododendron Garden trail a couple of weeks ago, so I thought to take hubby up there today. And the damn road is closed again!!! There were tons of cars parked all over the road at Carvers Gap, and I'm sure many of those folks would have liked to take advantage of the upper trails, views and picnic areas (and bathrooms). Can anyone think of a single reason why the road would be closed on a lovely weekend in July??? It was 70 miles round trip to get there, so I am mighty annoyed and ready to give someone a piece of my mind (if I could figure out who)!!!
The second hit on "road closed roan mountain" on the google:

The Johnson City Press is reporting that the Roan Mountain Recreational Area is scheduled to be closed most of the year due to a massive renovation project being funded by federal stimulus money.

The Roan Mountain Recreational Area in Pisgah National Forest will only be open during the rhododendron blooming season, from June 6 to July 7 this year, which includes the annual Rhododendron Festival.

The Smoky Mountain Hiking Blog: Roan Mountain Recreational Area to be closed most of year (http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.com/2010/01/roan-mountain-recreational-area-to-be.html - broken link)

According to the third hit, you can give Tina R Tilley, Distric Ranger, a piece of your mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina