Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
I have reached a critical juncture in my life where I must decide where it is I am going to go from here (I am currently in Philadelphia in a city that I dislike and a stagnant situation). I had this vivid dream a year ago with a clearly painted sign that read: "You are at the crossroads." I have reached that point.

I am a bit nervous about this new change in my life, ie: trying to decide whereI am going to move, but I am trying to get clarity. I want to find a home that will suit my needs. I have considered the following places:

Asheville, NC
Boulder, CO
Burlington, VT
Eugene, OR
Portland, OR

The only place I have visited is Burlington, VT, and I actually lived there for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I am looking to expand and grow now...

What matters to me is:

-Progressive
-Health conscious (a wealth of bicyclists, runners, walkers)
-Liberal (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
-Scenic (Available hiking, camping, kayaking, and state parks within city limits)
-A good number of trees and parks and trails within city limits
-Large organic health food selection
-Cultured (Theater, libraries, operas, public liberal radio)
-Low crime rate… safe!
-Not hotter than 90 degrees (I would prefer temperatures between 65-85 on average)
-Nice people, more friendly. Not fake.
-Mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans into the office)
-A good transportation system + pedestrian friendly
-Low pollution (good air and water quality standards)

That's basically all of the cities above! At any rate, I cannot make up my mind about where I should be/move. I am wondering if anyone else has ever been at the "crossroads" and identified a major life change and had to meet it face on? How did you overcome your obstacle?

I am looking for people who are familiar with these places to offer me support during this scary time... I am not 100% comfortable with change and just need guidance right now.

Thanks.
Based on weather, you can eliminate Boulder. The Front Range of Colorado can get pretty darn hot in the peak of summer, with highs in the mid-upper 90s for days on end. Portland and Eugene can get wicked-hot, too, but it generally only lasts a few days and then moderates back down to the very temperate summer climate the area is known for. Asheville, with humidity accounted for, can feel quite hot in the summer, with heat indicies approaching 100F not uncommon, even when the air temp is in the upper-80s/low 90s. Burlington is probably the only place that's not too hot for you, but the tradeoff is that you freeze there for a good portion of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
I have heard that the air quality in Eugene is not as good as one would think because of the agriculture in the valley (Eugene is between the Coastals and the Cascades). Pollen from vineyards/orchards/row crops & hay seed, dust, plus farm equipment emissions kind of linger - something like that.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,124 times
Thank you guys. I am crossing Boulder off the list because of the heat, having 0 CODA or ACOA meetings, and because of the expensive cost of living.

That leaves:

Eugene, OR
Portland, OR
Asheville, NC
(Sort of; maybe) I'm not too thrilled about the humidity... can someone compare the weather to Philadelphia?
Burlington, VT

I lived in Burlington, VT for 4 years and loved it... loved the beauty, the people (smart, intelligent) practical, thrifty, eco-friendly, progressive, liberal, etc. But I'm ready to "expand." I'm ready to learn public transportation and be able to kayak and camp all year long. I just want to experience different culture.

So, comparing what's left, what do you guys think?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Sounds like Portland for you! Asheville is definitely hottish warmish in the summer, unfortunately, although you can go 45 min/1 hr. up into Highlands and get cool (4,000 ft. elevation). Like I mentioned previously, if you're looking for good air quality I don't think you'll get it in Eugene. I loved the Columbia Gorge area east of Portland, and the city is very progressive.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
It sounds like you are picking places that are considered by a lot of people to be "liberal hippy utopia" kind of places. The thing is, all 4 of the places you listed are expensive with few jobs. If you loved Burlington, why leave? Honestly, as much as I love Asheville, I would sometimes rather be in Vermont (maybe not Burlington, but somewhere in VT) because the climate is so much better. You must be willing to pinch pennies and live a generally frugal lifestyle to live in any of the places you listed, but it can certainly be done. Also, your little profile thing says you are in Burlington now. Is that not the case?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,124 times
Thank you guys. I left Burlington because my lease was up, and I was involved in a relationship. My partner missed her family too much and wanted to move back home (Philadelphia). She asked me to come with her, and I figured, "Hey, what the heck, I want things to work out between us, and I wouldn't mind experiencing a city," so I went with her. Biggest mistake ever... we broke up within the first week! ...and now, 4 months later, I am still living with her and her dad... paying rent, but being treated like a child (no exaggeration). The whole family is dysfunctional, and I am ready to get the heck out of here.

Anyway, yes, I loved Burlington... it was my first home away from home. I want to explore new territory for a while though... new culture... I especially would like to learn public transportation.

I think I am about to cross Asheville, NC off my list because people are saying it's too hot and humid for my tastes... that leaves Eugene, Portland, and Burlington...

I definitely love "liberal hippie" -green and progressive. I am frugal, which is good. I am thrifty, too. At any rate, I heard Ithaca, NY is pretty cool, too, but I'm not ready to move there... They don't have CODA or ACOA meetings there. So yeah,

Eugene, Portland, Burlington! Boulder is crossed off the list for now because supposedly it's hot and super sunny... oh, and expensive

Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Not pumping the Asheville area, but I wonder how one decides "what city/area" to check out
or, cross off, for a potential relocation, based on a few anecdotal comments on a forum...

But, Good Luck.
mD

Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM

146 posts, read 335,467 times
The only thing I can contribute is that while the John C Campbell Folk School area is absolutely beautiful, don't go there without a job or a means of income or you will starve to death. It's also deeply entrenched in the Bible Belt and not particurally liberal. I like Hendersonville and Brevard two towns close to Asheville. Caution with the Raleigh Durham area because of the pollution. Go to Scorecard.org and type in the zip code of anywhere and you will get a pollution rating on the place.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 PM

117 posts, read 207,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellight27 View Post
The only thing I can contribute is that while the John C Campbell Folk School area is absolutely beautiful, don't go there without a job or a means of income or you will starve to death. It's also deeply entrenched in the Bible Belt and not particurally liberal. I like Hendersonville and Brevard two towns close to Asheville. Caution with the Raleigh Durham area because of the pollution. Go to Scorecard.org and type in the zip code of anywhere and you will get a pollution rating on the place.

@travellight ~ That Scorecard info for Buncombe County data is from 2002.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 PM

139 posts, read 530,128 times
I'm not sure I should offer my opinion, because, unlike most of those commenting here, I am basically conservative, with some liberal highlights.
So, I love holistic foods, vet, medical, I weave and spin, I write music, and
enjoy talking to bohemians.
However, I dislike Eugene, OR, and can't live in Portland any more. I was
in Eugene last January, visited the library, where they charged me to park, and then charged me to use their visitor computer! I have never seen so
many sour faced, dirty, scruffy people in one place, and this carried over
to every place I visited. However,---I have relatives who just moved
there from Portland, and they absolutely love it, mostly because of all
the activities through the college.
As for Portland, if you are considering moving there, do read the comments
in City-data by people who have lived there, especially those who want to
move. It isn't for everyone, and I've heard it's hard to get a job. Portland,
these days, is known as a haven for "dirt bag radicals." The weather can
get to people, although, as a native, it never bothers me. It has done
wonderful things with its core area, and, being a city with a lot of readers,
has great book stores. I would move to Corvallis before chosing Portland
or Eugene. It has a lot to offer.
I have heard that Peoria, IL has a lot of culture, especially music, and it
is located in a pretty area, close to Chicago.
One thing I've discovered is that, no matter how you research a place, going
there may give you a totally different opinion. I can just drive through towns and pick up on the prevailing attitude. Most of the time I will find out I've been right. Towns have very distinctive personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina