Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times

Advertisements

Need your creative help to locate a writer's retreat this Fall in mid-Sept for a month or so...internet access would be helpful. I'll be editing my book.

Ideal place would be cozy, quiet, affordable, walkable. Needing solitude--room-mate situation wouldn't work right now.

Are you traveling? Maybe I could pet-sit your mellow pet in exchange for rent...or?

Me? I'm a quiet, non-smoking, bookish, nature, garden and animal-loving person with a peaceful demeanor--and very tidy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
So let me get this straight. You want a cheap place (or free?) to live in one of the most desirable areas of the country that has internet, walkable to Asheville, no roommate and you will consider watching a low maintenance pet??? Hey, I want that too! If you find it anywhere within a 30 mile radius of Asheville let me know. lol!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Yes, I do seek this..it seemed to irk you for some reason, not sure why.

Were I traveling and had the offer of an experienced dog/cat sitter with great references to pet/house sit for free while I was away, I would leap at the chance!

Have you priced the cost of a sleep-over pet sitter these days? And I'd never put my beloved pooch in a kennel...

I, too, live in a highly desirable area of North Carolina (on the coast) and would gladly do the same for an Asheville writer if the situation came up.

It's good Karma--or playing it forward.

And I never said I was looking for this for 'free.' I offered an exchange of services and used the term 'affordable.'

You interjected the word 'free.' Why did you? I'm curious.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes, I do seek this..it seemed to irk you for some reason, not sure why.

Were I traveling and had the offer of an experienced dog/cat sitter with great references to pet/house sit for free while I was away, I would leap at the chance!

Have you priced the cost of a sleep-over pet sitter these days? And I'd never put my beloved pooch in a kennel...

I, too, live in a highly desirable area of North Carolina (on the coast) and would gladly do the same for an Asheville writer if the situation came up.

It's good Karma--or playing it forward.

And I never said I was looking for this for 'free.' I offered an exchange of services and used the term 'affordable.'

You interjected the word 'free.' Why did you? I'm curious.
Irked, not at all. More like amused! And you ask why I interjected the word free? Because you stated exchange rent for taking care of your mellow pet. I assumed you meant living there free in exchange for watching a pet, no?

I'm am all about paying ot forward but are you implying that you doing someone a favor by watching their (mellow) pet in exchange for living in their home, and by the way you don't want a roommate and need internet access, walkable, cozy etc etc.
Yeah, it sounded a bit much to me.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Guess you have an opinion that differs from mine--and the reality of what I offered.

If you research by Googling 'overnight pet services', you'll find the rates vary from $50/night to over $150/night--and that's for only an 8 hour overnight stay at the owner's residence. I'm offering 24/hour pet care and house-sitting. That pencils out to $1500 to $3000/monthly for 8 hour live-in pet care--and would cost much more for 24/hour pet care. So, it's a generous offer.

You seem to think I'm looking for something for free-and nowhere in my posting did I imply or ask that..I offered to pay either 'affordable' rent or an exchange of services worth, on the open market upward of $1500-$3000/month.

And yes, I am particular about my possible lodgings...and as stated, am willing to pay an affordable rental amount for them or the exchange as I mentioned. I don't think I'm doing anyone a favor--but you seem to--I've proposed a fair exchange...

Ideally, a professor going on sabbatical that has a loved pet(s) that needs caregiving would work beautifully. Since I've a book to edit, the setting is important to me. I live in a nice home, why wouldn't I seek the same?

Your posting seemed unduly hostile to me...or am I being overly sensitive?

Maybe you're not familiar with pet-sitting? Pet-sitting is a viable business proposal. I've house-sat a 30 acre waterfront home and pet-sat their black lab and two cats in exchange for lodging before...it's not at all an unusual arrangement.

Can we be friends now? I'm a peaceful person.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
I think you can find something. There are a lot of un-rented vacation rentals in the area. Just look on vrbo.com. Also craigslist has a fair share of sublets and temp housing ads. As far as pet-sitting, that takes building a relationship with the pet "owner" so that they trust you with their beloved ones. I'd trust someone with my house before I'd trust them with my dog!

And yes, the first response was unduly hostile. Anonymity does that to people.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks, Art123. I do appreciate your helpful--and creative--advice. Just what I'd hoped for from the kindly people of Asheville...and you're right about entrusting your pets with a stranger...my dog's only stayed with dear friends on an pet-sitting exchange basis..he's such a velcro dog...

Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Guess you have an opinion that differs from mine--and the reality of what I offered.
Your posting seemed unduly hostile to me...or am I being overly sensitive?

Maybe you're not familiar with pet-sitting? Pet-sitting is a viable business proposal. I've house-sat a 30 acre waterfront home and pet-sat their black lab and two cats in exchange for lodging before...it's not at all an unusual arrangement.

Can we be friends now? I'm a peaceful person.
Sure, and nothing hostile in my reply at all. And I felt that your reply to my intial response seemed unduly defensive so maybe you are being overly sensitive. But that's OK.

And as an animal lover myself I am very familiar with pet sitting and have done it for friends. I guess I was just a bit taken aback by your proposal and rather lengthy list of needs which yes, struck me as amusing. But you say you feel it is a generous offer so you are correct that we have a difference of opinion.
If you find someone willing to do this good for you.

I guess I wouldn't feel comfortable hiring a pet sitter off of an anonymous message board, or inviting them in my house. But hey, that's me. So you are right we have a difference of opinion.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,681 times
LittleDolphin, understand where the skepticism of Booya’s replies comes from. We get at least a query a week (and that is down from 2-3 a week) of people along the lines of,
“Hi. My family and I are considering moving to Asheville. We’ve read so much about it we feel like we know the place. So, here we go.

We want a small house (3 or 4 bedrooms) on some ground (at least two acres) within walking distance of the wonderful downtown. We’d like to keep that in the $225,000 range or so although we could go to $250k for the right place.

Then we’ll need jobs. We’ve heard the job market there is sparse, but we have unique skills. My husband is a lobbyist and I am an IT professional, so between the two of those we should be fine. I’m sure we are the exception to the no-jobs problem.

Any help is appreciated. We’ll be down there with you soon.”
Even some of our more supportive contributors have gotten more averse to this sort of thing, lately. Your request was not the same but you happened to be in line when the clerk yelled, “NEXT!”

Anyway, good luck on your search. Hope you find the retreat you are looking for to get your editing done.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 10,408 times
Default So how did this turn out?

Little curious being a writer myself...were you able to find somewhere idyllic in Asheville to write/edit from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina