Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,565 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I’m from a small town in Massachusetts and have applied and heard back from some grad programs in Virginia and North Carolina. Based on the responses, I’m planning a trip over Spring Break that will allow me to get a better sense for the areas, and help determine my decision. One of the programs is at Western Carolina University. I know there are technically two campuses, one in Asheville and the other in Cullowhee. I was wondering if anyone could give me some direction about what area is the best for living in, if attending WCU and looking to work full time. The towns don’t necessarily have to be Asheville or Cullowhee, but rather any towns, relatively close that are appealing.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM

112 posts, read 317,246 times
There are only certain programs that western offers in Asheville, they don't have their own campus in Asheville they are sharing a building with Asheville Buncombe Community college. Depending on what you are planning to major in at Western you may have no choice but to attend school in Cullowee.

All of the town around cullowee & including Cullowee are small mtn towns such as Franklin, Cherokee, Sylva, Balsam & Waynesville, They are quaint little town but as for jobs you are looking at mostly restaurants, small shops, Walmart & small motels. Most of them only pay minimum wage or just above. Very little in the way of a night life or things to do for college kids. Asheville is the closet city to Western & it is about an hour drive or so over many mtns & windy roads.

Cullowhee, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franklin, NC; Mountain Treasures. Simple Pleasures

Cherokee North Carolina Chamber of Commerce - Cherokee NC - Smoky Mountain Vacation

Balsam, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Waynesville North Carolina -- Vacation in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina

Home (http://www.jacksonnc.org/index.html - broken link)

Swain County North Carolina Government

Haywood Chamber of Commerce

Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Also don't forget City-Data's own pages on the various towns.

If' you're in grad school, you would presumably want to be working at something related to your field, for expeirence--what program will you be in. I can tell you firsthand, that when you get out of grad school, they are more interested in the work experience you've had than in your degree, in most programs (especially in this economy).

Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
What part of Massachusetts are you from? I used to live in North Brookfield, and I am familiar with most of rural Mass. I think that if you enjoy life in rural Mass., you would be fine living in Waynesville. No, there's not a ton to do in Waynesville as far as nightclubs or something, but the area is jaw-dropping beautiful, and anyone who enjoys the outdoors would love living around there. There are 5,000 ft+ mountains all over Haywood County, and the diversity of wildlife is amazing.

Keep in mind, though, Waynesville is 30-35 minutes from Cullowhee, so you need to consider whether you would want to do the commute. It just might be worth it if you want to live in a larger town. Cullowhee is small. Very small. But like I said, there's no shortage of things to do in the area if you like the outdoors, and you can always meet people through school and work. I would definitely recommend considering WCU, even if it doesn't end up being your final choice. Living in a place as beautiful as WNC has an extremely high intangible value just for the beauty and wonder of it.

I am in school myself in Asheville, and I don't ever feel the need to go out to bars or anything. But maybe that's just me. Just today though, after class, I went hiking in some of the most beautiful mountains east of the Mississippi, and it's only 15 minutes from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina