Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 AM

215 posts, read 569,105 times

Advertisements

Ideas appreciated..
The search for a campground goes on, but we visited Asheville and do feel it is the place for us. Now, how to make a living if we can't get the campground we have been seeking?
What types of service, products etc are needed and would be in demand in the Asheville area? Have some ideas but need to research demand, in meantime open to more ideas.
Anything we have here in England that would be popular?
I know businesses will also rely on our skills etc but i won't bore you with all that..
We are in touch with SCORE business counsellors too, they were so positive we could move there and find the niche we are looking for, realistic? Or am I just a British cynic?
Thanks, we don't want to move there 'and just make it work....!' want this to be an educated move..
P.s we don't have visa issues, I have dual nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM

679 posts, read 1,460,716 times
Honestly, I don’t know what to tell you. In our time here (approaching 5 years), we’ve seen businesses that we thought had good ideas, a potentially great market, a good product or service and thus a decent chance of survival flame out in months. We know a few business owners in various different endeavors, and let’s just say the climate here is interesting.

I think you are going about it the right way, trying to find where (business-wise) potential customers are and then assessing if that is a business you want to open. But, anyone telling you they are “positive” about your chances is either stretching the truth so far it is unrecognizable or their nose is growing with each passing word.

My wife has her own business, but in 2010 $0 came from Asheville, which is a 50-percent increase from the year before. She expects a 300-percent increase in the next three years. She does not see any gains to be made marketing herself here.

It seems to me there was a thread nearly a year ago with this same basic question. I don’t remember who started it or if they are still haunting this board. I do remember it did not come to any consensus.

Good luck on your search. Given a few minutes I’m sure I could think of businesses we are missing, but when I’ve done that before I came to the conclusion they probably would struggle here, anyway due to lack of reliable demand.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Unfortunately, everything I can think of is either a big chain operation (e.g. Trader Joe's, Costco) or very ethnic such as a real Vietnamese restaurant or a real Jewish deli. It seems we are over run with other eateries, trinket shops, and art galleries/studios. Some get real lucky and hit just at the right time or place--12 Bones and Tupelo Honey are booming while others go down the tubes. Right now it feels like we are poised for a period of sustained growth as long as this increase in oil prices and the effort to take so much Federal spending out of the economy so quickly don't throw us back into recession. So here's the usual advice, if you come make sure you have the financial resources to get you through the first year and get here and get your business open before the tourists arrive in the spring--easter is usually the first BIG surge. Good luck

Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
we recently had a discussion going on called 'if you build it, they will come ...' where we tried to put some information together regarding business needs in asheville. sorry, no time to look for the thread right now though ....

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM

215 posts, read 569,105 times
Thanks so far for messages. From the sale of our house here we would have $330,000approx to bring with us. We would of course need somewhere to live! We are 2 adults, 2 children and my retired American mum.
So we would have enough for the first year, the hard part is thinking of the idea for a business. Bit of a catch 22 as would be easier if we were there but on other hand would prefer to at least come with a solid business idea.
We could at least live mortgage free but then we would still have health insurance to pay for..
I have looked at businesses for sale but don't want a mobile home park, unless we could turn it into a nice RV campground. Nor do we want a restaurant, gas station or Subway!
Our main skills are property renovation inc. Historical. Careers guidance, marketing qualified. Customer services, travel.
Our search began with RV campground as it really fits our skills and lifestyle but not sure about building one from scratch!
other idea was concierge for 2nd home owners etc ties in with property maintenance and business admin skills...
We don't expect to get rich quick, more feel fulfilled in what we do and earn enough to afford the basics and a few treats (such as weekends away in an RV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina