Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM

81 posts, read 203,160 times

Advertisements

Jammin' in Marshall, NC-dscn0136.jpg

I'm playing the 5-string with Bobby Hicks playing his fiddle here in this photo taken by Mary in Marshall, NC. Also pictured are Cathy Arrowwood on bass, Mac Claflin and Roger Howell on fiddles, Orrin Jenstad on mandolin and Bryce Parham on lead guitar. I'm not sure who the other guitarist was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 PM

510 posts, read 1,388,421 times
I need to come and bring the video gear. Pictures like this need sound! I thought we might get over to Marshall last Thursday but things didn't work out.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 AM

As far as I know, the whole gang will be there next Thursday, too.

I think I'll be going up to Weber City to the "Pickin' Parlor" this coming Thursday just because I've received so many invitations.

There are so many Bluegrass jams going on around here, it's impossible to catch them all.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Default More North Carolina Bluegrass Pictures

Jammin' in Marshall, NC-dscn0135.jpg

Jammin' in Marshall, NC-dscn0138.jpg

Jammin' in Marshall, NC-dscn0131.jpg

I always enjoy pickin' with Bobby Hicks. Not only that, but I truly enjoy his company. In addition to his kindness and tremendous fiddling abilities, he's also a very interesting fellow to chat with on a number of different subjects.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddliferous View Post
I think I'll be going up to Weber City to the "Pickin' Parlor" this coming Thursday just because I've received so many invitations.

Another evening jam venue "The Spot on The Crooked Road" is on Thursday evenings (after 6PM) is about two miles north of Pickin" Porch on US 58. Pickin' Porch is on "old US 23", Weber City Highway, but with sight of the intersection with US 58.

Since this is Monday I will mention the Monday jams at Crooked Road General Store up near Bristol. It too is on US 58 about two miles north of I-81 at Bristol Exit 1. They have jamming on Mondays and scheduled performances on Saturdays. Some of the performances and occasionally the jamming are broadcast by Mountain Music Showcase on WAPK (19-2) from 1-3 AM on Sunday morning (good application for a DVR). WAPK is on several cable systems.

crooked road general store - Local Business - Bristol, VA - Info | Facebook

Home Page

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Just a reminder, folks, that this is the forum for Western NC, not Tennessee .....

Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Just a reminder, folks, that this is the forum for Western NC, not Tennessee .....
Sorry- up here in this three corners area it's tough to not to let the mind drift across the borders- especially on Bluegrass issues.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
Sorry- up here in this three corners area it's tough to not to let the mind drift across the borders- especially on Bluegrass issues.
It's fine for the mind (and music [I <*heart*> bluegrass]) to drift across the borders, but let's try to keep the posts local .....

Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Bobby Hicks playing every Thursday night at Zuma's in Marshall is one of life's hidden gems - don't let word get out too much or it will be too crowded - He is such a nice man and so kind to the various musicians how play with him - one of the best things you can do - and it's free!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
I keep telling my husband we need to get to Zuma some Thursday night and listen to the jam. We join in a jam every Sunday in Old Fort so he doesn't understand why I would want to go and just listen. I want to listen to Bobby Hicks and get inspired! My fiddle playing needs much in the way of improving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina