Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 PM

18 posts, read 61,666 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the Asheville area (Candler) and I have to say that I'm a bit unsettled by the presence of black bears. I've been trail running for 25 years now, have been on long rugged runs in the middle of nowhere, in day, night, storms, etc. Never a problem. I've come across snakes, mountain lions, packs of coyotes, etc. with no issues or worries. But now, in Candler, in my first couple of weeks here, I've come across black bears on 2 trail runs (both just above the Biltmore Lake area). With the first sighting, the lone bear sprinted away when we made eye contact from about 50 feet away. The second sighting involved a bear with her 2 cubs in the tree beside her...again about 50 feet off of the trial. She stood her ground and I just kept running on. My questions are: when you go hiking or running alone in the woods, do you ever worry about black bears? What's their typical response? Should I be concerned about running alone for a few hours in the middle of the woods? DO you just keep going or what when you stop one? Etc, etc. Thanks, Unsettled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
No, just make noise so they can hear you. Black bears don't attack unless sick or provoked first, they aren't like grizzles. Usually just back away slowly and then change your path, especially if there are cubs involved. Single bears tend to run off before they ever see you. If you've been in area's with mnt lions, black bears should be nothing and I'm surprised you are bothered by them. Black bears want to be left alone where as mnt lions will stalk you. Early summer is the most active time for them too. Give it another month and you probably wont see any more until next summer.

Also: a page with a lot of bear safety info... http://www.townofblackmountain.org/BearStudyMain.htm

Last edited by saucystargazer; 07-03-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Bear Safety Information: Awareness & Avoidance | Safety Information Site

The first one did what most black bears do if they're not acclimated to humans, skedaddled.

The second encounter was dicier because of the cubs.

There are a variety of bear sprays available.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:17 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,010 times
Have a friend that trail hikes a lot. He has a sleigh bell that makes noise as he walks. He says it works great.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
The bears in Highlands are the worst they've ever been. Anyone think the flood in Eastern TN pushed more this way? Lack of Management? Bad Berry Crop?

Something has changed.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The bears in Highlands are the worst they've ever been. Anyone think the flood in Eastern TN pushed more this way? Lack of Management? Bad Berry Crop?

Something has changed.

The above may be part of the problem. Also, bear populations have been expanding all over the East for the last several years. One was hit on the Baltimore Beltway a few years ago and either last year or the year before one was found on the Eastern Shore (where the last sighting of one was a couple hundred years ago). It was trapped and relocated.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
I am a bit portly, and I am always asked to go on trail runs with my friends. It is nice to be so popular.......I guess.

lln

Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am a bit portly, and I am always asked to go on trail runs with my friends. It is nice to be so popular.......I guess.

lln

LOL.

I think it's time to allow more permits for Black Bear. JMHO. I know it's not a popular opinion for the once conservative NC, but sometimes populations do get out of control.

Just remember, when a Black Bear Attacks, it's going to eat you. Fight back. Playing dead only works for brown bears.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
Black bears are common around Asheville and surrounding communities. Wear a bell on your belt or around your neck or wrist or ankle, bears need to know you're coming. They even sell "bear bells" at hiking stores. If the bears hear you, they'll usually hide or move far enough away.

But if I were you, consider the areas you have been running thru are popular with the bears, and find another spot that goes another way, but that's hopefully still convenient for you. Black bears are regularly seen in Asheville, in people's back yards (usually checking out bird feeders), one walked right thru downtown near the police station last year, then he moseyed on off up towards Town Mountain unmolested, and there's a bunch that like it near Beaver Lake on the north side of town, they walk right out into the roadway and thus get their picture in the paper fairly often.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Bears around here are acclimated to humans.

If you are running you can end up between a momma bear and her cubs before you see any of them. Heck, you can do that just walking and not paying attention.

Do not run from a bear, you can't out run them, but maintain eye contact and back away.

Of course there is the old rule, you don't have to out run the bear, just the guy you are with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina