Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM

177 posts, read 408,689 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, we've tried that bakery...gooey butter cake!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
How about fresh bagels? Anyone? I've been getting the frozen ones from the supermarket but they just don't cut it. I see Shoebooties has a lunch special today with a bagel sandwich, so there must be somewhere to buy them fresh locally. I wonder if they'd tell me if I asked really nicely.

So far we just love Murphy
Maybe you should start a fresh bagel business? LOL

Glad to hear you are enjoying the area! On a side note... we tried Asiano's in Hiawasee a few days ago.... mediocre at best.... perhaps it was what we ordered, but neither of us was impressed...

Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM

We talked about that...it would seem that there might be a market for that here, since so many folks are from elsewhere. Got to Shoebooties for the first time the other night, it was good but not great. I'd go again, though, but so far we like Doyle's better. Probably try the Chop House next.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I don't know...we put biscuits in our gravy down here, not bagels

Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM

I am a huge fan of the biscuits, as well, but when you want a bagel...well, you just want a freshly baked bagel and the frozen, bagged ones are no substitute.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 AM

Was up in Murphy the other day.... Did Ritz Furniture (out by Rib Country) shut down completely or did they move?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 PM

They moved east on 64, closer to Hiawassee St and McDonalds area, I think.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 63,808 times
Can anyone tell us the weather patterns in Murphy? Do you get a lot of rain in the spring? We may move there ourselves. What type of manufacturing facilities are there. I am a cabinet builder and would consider relocatingif conditions were favorable. Is the economy coming back any at all? Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM

We've only been here a month, but in doing the scant research that we did do prior to moving, the job situation in the area is lacking from what we've been told. For a cabinet maker, I would think your career would depend a lot on new developement and it seems like the real estate market in the area is a bit stagnant, there are 100's of houses for sale if you check zillow or trulia. We were advised that if you're a retiree (and we are) and had our own income, it is a nice place to live but if you need to earn a living, it might now be so great.
Regarding weather, as I said, only here a month but have had a lot of rain (but at least it's not snow)

Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM

Weather is like mother nature herself... unpredictable.

The first winter we lived here (just south of Murphy) was unbearable cold. All the locals said it was the coldest they ever remembered. Lake Nottely was iced over.

Last winter - We had quite a bit of snow.. Locals said it was one of the worst snow seasons they remember (except a blizzard years ago). Temps were not bad at all however. Cold enough for snow, but I remember setting outside several evenings in short sleeves as well. As a matter of fact the night of the Super Moon in march it was shorts and short sleeves. Last year on New Year's eve it was in the 50's because we talked about going to the Possum Drop because of the truly awesome temps.

This winter... today.. I was out working in the garden - shorts and short sleeves... Of course, was told too, to expect a snowstorm in March and that winter wasn't over. Who know's??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina