Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM

840 posts, read 781,501 times

Advertisements

Last week was actually pulled over by state trooper for no seat belt...no other problems. Tonight was stopped at a stupid road block they are checking licenses again state troopers blocking traffic on the freaking off ramp...I am shocked there was no wreck! What the heck is going in here? I have been coming to Western NC for 5 years and this is new to me.Don't yall feel violated? I mean I didn't do anything wrong I shouldn't have to deal with some stormtrooper checking my license when I had not even been pulled over....christ sakes...I was actually considering moving to NC to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,977 times
where in Georgia are you from ? I'm in Georgia too, and what you are describing is not that uncommon in parts of Georgia either.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Yep, NC Law Enforcement has been actively enforcing seat-belt laws for years now.

The road blocks they run are most often DUI check points, often with a number of DUI arrests, also people wanted on warrants, people that have had their driving privileges revoked, and people under the delusion they will never be in a wreck and need

I was a volunteer firefighter/first responder for over 30 years, and I have seen the death and life changing injuries of those through arrogance or ignorance chose not to wear their lifesaving seat belt. There is no valid reason not to, there is also no reason that a 25 MPH accident becomes a fatal accident, but I have responded to them, for the simple reason they didn't buckle up. That sucks for those that cared for them, as dead last a long long time.

You may be the absolute best driver in the world, with reflexes faster than a ninja, but if someone runs a stop sign and T-Bone's you, your driving skills and superhuman reflexes mean nothing, but wearing a seat belt will.

OBTW, you should also know the laws of your own state, which states;
"Police officers can pull over a driver if they suspect that a vehicle occupant is not wearing their seat belt."

Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Last week was actually pulled over by state trooper for no seat belt...no other problems.

Tonight was stopped at a stupid road block they are checking licenses again state troopers blocking traffic on the freaking off ramp...I am shocked there was no wreck! What the heck is going in here? I have been coming to Western NC for 5 years and this is new to me.

Don't yall feel violated? I mean I didn't do anything wrong I shouldn't have to deal with some storm trooper checking my license when I had not even been pulled over....christ sakes...I was actually considering moving to NC to.
Your being pulled over for no seat belt is one thing, but road blocks are another.

Yes, I do feel violated by road blocks now that you mention it, because it conflicts with our Bill of Rights. I guess that document was never meant to be taken seriously and was just written for giggles.

This happens constantly in North Georgia too.

Opinion: Why Are DUI Sobriety Checkpoints Constitutional?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM

358 posts, read 786,299 times
You will find more and more intrusion in your private life as more and more people believe it is their duty to protect you from yourself. The government is more than happy to oblige since it means increased revenue . Seatbelt tickets were originally issued only when another violation was present but they never just stop there. Those little black boxes that insurance companys offer for reduced rates will be the next big thing for government to play with.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Default Driving is a Privilege, Not a Right

It is common misconception that any person in the United States has a right to drive. There is no such right in the US Constitution. Driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, a privilege that is earned by passing a knowledge and driving exam, and that privilege can be taken away or modified based on certain conduct, including several issues surrounding drunk driving cases.

We all have a Constitutional right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but not to drive.

I also think it is important that responsible drivers be protected from the irresponsible drivers that drink and drive or engage in other irresponsible behaviors while sharing the public highways.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is common misconception that any person in the United States has a right to drive. There is no such right in the US Constitution. Driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, a privilege that is earned by passing a knowledge and driving exam, and that privilege can be taken away or modified based on certain conduct, including several issues surrounding drunk driving cases.

We all have a Constitutional right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but not to drive.

I also think it is important that responsible drivers be protected from the irresponsible drivers that drink and drive or engage in other irresponsible behaviors while sharing the public highways.
Amen!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

The cops already have the authority to stop any driver who seems to be driving under the influence or who isn't wearing a seat belt. That's where it ends.

Once a citizen has done their part and passed the drivers exam, they have done all that the law requires. Being stopped in the absence of any discernible violation, is a violation of our rights. The Bill of Rights does not become null and void the moment we enter our cars.

Fourth Amendment: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

There is no "probable cause" at a road block. It's a fishing expedition.

If we can be stopped without evidence we have committed a crime, then we are certainly not "secure in our persons" and freedom is an illusion. And there is no suggestion in the Bill of Rights that those rights are conditional and can be overthrown because maybe it will save a life.

As Benjamin Franklin said ... "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I agree with Ben.

Recently, a soldier returning from Iraq said he supposedly went there to "protect our freedoms", yet he came home to a country that is much less free than when he left. It's a sad day when Americans are not willing to stand up for the rights we were given by the founding fathers.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Last week was actually pulled over by state trooper for no seat belt...no other problems. Tonight was stopped at a stupid road block they are checking licenses again state troopers blocking traffic on the freaking off ramp...I am shocked there was no wreck! What the heck is going in here? I have been coming to Western NC for 5 years and this is new to me.Don't yall feel violated? I mean I didn't do anything wrong I shouldn't have to deal with some stormtrooper checking my license when I had not even been pulled over....christ sakes...I was actually considering moving to NC to.
These kinds of traffic checks are common, especially in smaller towns and cities not only in western NC but southern Virginia too.

Not wearing a seat belt IS a violation of the law.

When drivers are too foolish to wear one, we all pay the price in higher insurance premiums when they go through their windshields in a crash.

I only ever feel "violated" when I have to share breathing space with those kinds of people

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM

358 posts, read 786,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
These kinds of traffic checks are common, especially in smaller towns and cities not only in western NC but southern Virginia too.

Not wearing a seat belt IS a violation of the law.

When drivers are too foolish to wear one, we all pay the price in higher insurance premiums when they go through their windshields in a crash.

I only ever feel "violated" when I have to share breathing space with those kinds of people
If higher insurance premiums are the criteria for laws to be made then I would suggest laws forbidding smoking, drinking, being overweight, working with power tools and mountain climbing.
We are "violated" every day by those who think they know whats best for you and are willing to have their beliefs made into law.
Overbearing folks like this are better suited for the ministry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina