Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 AM

177 posts, read 409,434 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous reports of dogs going missing in the Murphy and surrounding area. Average of 2or 3 a day are being reported on Facebook. The Sheriff's department is cooperating and area dog rescue people are being made aware.
It's not clear whether this has been going on for a while and the attention is now being called to it because of social media, but there are A LOT of missing dogs just in the past couple of weeks.
Keep an eye on your pet, if you see any suspicious activity like someone in a van trying to lure dogs, get the tag number and report it to the authorities.
Dogs can be sold to unscrupulous laboratories for testing, or used as bait dogs for dog fighting rings.
Don't let this happen to your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,421,843 times
The mountains are not the greatest place for dogs and cats. Murphy, particularly so - very bad attitude.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 AM

I've found a combination of dog owners here, those who are dedicated to the care and welfare of thier furry kids and those who consider their dog to be a lawn ornament, chained outside 24/7 or just allowed to roam free. My groomer is extremely busy so there are those who do care for their animals so maybe there is hope for the dogs of Murphy I was appalled that people come for vacation and get a dog for 'the kids' while they are here and then just abandon them when they head back home, like a dog is a disposable item like a paper cup. Another observation is that there are way too many pit bulls that are not supervised in this area, which is a recipe for disaster anywhere.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 15,862 times
Is that a long-time problem in western NC? Visited many times, but of course, wouldn't necessarily have heard about it as a visitor.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,421,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStouff View Post
Is that a long-time problem in western NC? Visited many times, but of course, wouldn't necessarily have heard about it as a visitor.
Yes. It's a problem in rural areas in the south in general, I'm sorry to say.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,229,013 times
That's horrible. Were they fenced in or roaming? Is it possible that vacationers see a loose dog and think they are lost and pick them up and take them home? I hate to think of the alternatives, thanks for the heads up.....TAKE CARE OF YOUR PETS!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM

The majority of the missing dogs are loose, but some were alledgedly taken from the owners property. The local radio station WKRK has a Facebook page, now with a section for missing pets with links to other pages relating to the missing animals. One person posted about a 3 month old puppy that didn't return home with her other dogs. It was last seen on a heavily traveled road. I'm hoping if someone did pick up that little pup, they took it with them and gave it a loving home. How can you let a 3 month old dog run loose?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,229,013 times
How can you let a 3 month old dog run loose?[/quote]

I don't know, sadly people do.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,329,482 times
there are really two issues here, one is the possibility of dogs being taken for the wrong reasons and maybe bad things done. and that must be why the radio station is making a point of those lost dogs.

and the other is dogs running loose. As aggravating as it is or was, many folks used to let their hound dogs lose all the time. Then they call them and the hunting hounds would run straight home for dinner, bed, or hunting. When I grew up, not many kept their hunting dogs penned up but let them run and play. They trained them to respond to the whistle or call to return. They were working dogs.

So whether this explains the loose dogs you are seeing, I don't know. Just giving an alternate explanation.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM

532 posts, read 1,092,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
I've found a combination of dog owners here, those who are dedicated to the care and welfare of thier furry kids and those who consider their dog to be a lawn ornament, chained outside 24/7 or just allowed to roam free. My groomer is extremely busy so there are those who do care for their animals so maybe there is hope for the dogs of Murphy I was appalled that people come for vacation and get a dog for 'the kids' while they are here and then just abandon them when they head back home, like a dog is a disposable item like a paper cup. Another observation is that there are way too many pit bulls that are not supervised in this area, which is a recipe for disaster anywhere.
Too many pits are a problem everywhere, check out the number on Petfinder.

Re dogs running loose, we do not always mean for them to be running loose. My latest is Houdini. I now have an invisible fence inside of a regular fence. This is not an outside dog. Some dogs have the escape knack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina