Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Progressive Town in Northwest NC?
Boone, NC 6 46.15%
Wilkesboro/North Wilkesboro, NC 7 53.85%
Elkin, NC 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM

126 posts, read 295,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
These mega-chains are not an example of progress to me, but a lack of progress. A farm to table restaurant like Hob Nob Farm Cafe or the Farm Cafe is an example of socially progressive business and yummy, too.

I could never eat in another Red Lobster or Olive Garden and die a happy person.
That wasn't my point of mentioning them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
These mega-chains are not an example of progress to me, but a lack of progress.

Plus Darden's looking to set up an Olive Garden in Boone at the site of old meth motels on 321 in between McDonald's and WATA's offices, where that little boy died a couple years ago in the ditch. They bought land further down the road by Walgreens several years ago but held off due to the mixed beverage ban. So it's not as if they didn't want to open up shop there.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 PM

126 posts, read 295,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It would help if you would explain your question. I gave a move-to answer, but if you are wanting to start up a business, the Wilkesboros would be by far the best location. I have not heard statistics lately, but when I was in school studying such things, the Wilkesboros ratio of population and shopping numbers was ten times that of Winston-Salem. I will further explain; people come to this area from all the neighboring counties to shop. On Saturday and Sunday, you can't stir them with a stick. The town of North Wilkesboro and the stores on highway 421 fill up. Then you also have the traffic from highways 18, 421, and 16 going to and from the mountains with tourist.
I do agree with you. Wilkes has better, growing shopping choices then Boone and it's "mall". Changing the subject a little, DOT needs to re-design 421 on the busy stretch right there. Traffic gets ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
These mega-chains are not an example of progress to me, but a lack of progress. A farm to table restaurant like Hob Nob Farm Cafe or the Farm Cafe is an example of socially progressive business and yummy, too.

I could never eat in another Red Lobster or Olive Garden and die a happy person.
I will agree with the last sentence. Places that tell their employees to call the customers "guys" is not my idea of a place to eat either. If I walk into a place and hear the word guy, I will not make a scene and turn around and leave, but I have to be really hungry to ever go back to that place again. I am a lady and my husband is a gentleman, not you guys. That is so low class.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
Hi guys, Just wanted to say hello! My bad, but come on. I'm in my 40s and did serve tables back in my college days. I had no idea I was being "low class" by greeting with the word "guy". I get a tiny bit insulted if someone calls me maam! But I was born up north, so I guess I just see things very differently.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I will agree with the last sentence. Places that tell their employees to call the customers "guys" is not my idea of a place to eat either. If I walk into a place and hear the word guy, I will not make a scene and turn around and leave, but I have to be really hungry to ever go back to that place again. I am a lady and my husband is a gentleman, not you guys. That is so low class.
I'm with you 100%. I used to get irate when servers called my husband and me "guys." It's gotten where my husband and I almost make a game of it now. I don't think of it as low class, but rather bad manners and an example of the casualness in society these days..... but we digress from the purpose of the thread. Carry on with the poll.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
That wasn't my point of mentioning them.
Well, what was your point?

I still don't understand what you mean by progressive? Are you talking politically? Business environment?

I'm in Chapel Hill, arguably the most politically progressive town in the state. We have almost no chain restaurants and there are certainly no Olive Gardens or Red Lobsters here. We have fabulous nationally recognized independent restaurants and award-winning chefs. We have a large university and innovative business ideas. Red Lobster and Olive Garden would not be viewed as a sign of any kind of positive progress here.

I just don't get what you're asking.

If your point is Wilkes is attracting new business and growing, well good for Wilkes. That doesn't make it "progressive" in my book, but I'm always happy to hear about a town in NC that is growing and thriving.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
And I'm happy to go on record as not being a fan of the Boone Mall, but I'm not a mall person. I do love the little shops downtown on King Street, etc. Great vibe down there. In the mall, it's very depressing. Ugh.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
Hi guys, Just wanted to say hello! My bad, but come on. I'm in my 40s and did serve tables back in my college days. I had no idea I was being "low class" by greeting with the word "guy". I get a tiny bit insulted if someone calls me maam! But I was born up north, so I guess I just see things very differently.
Here's a little hint--when you move to a new area--any new area, not just the South--you are the one who has to learn THEIR ways; it's not their burden to alter themselves to fit you.

In the South, "Sir" and "Ma'am" are signs of respect (for elders) taught to children from birth. It's unfathomable to me how someone could find it insulting to be addressed that way (and especially to prefer being called "guy"!). At the very least, use "y'all" ! Now, if the people are under 30, it might make more sense to be less formal, but in general, addressing customers who are older than you are has an expectation of some sort of term of respect (I also hate it when cashiers more than 5 years younger than me call my by my first name [from my credit card]).

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
And I'm happy to go on record as not being a fan of the Boone Mall, but I'm not a mall person. I do love the little shops downtown on King Street, etc. Great vibe down there. In the mall, it's very depressing. Ugh.
Indoor malls in general are about two decades past their time. If you want to see a real depressing mall hit up the one in Lenoir.

But to Boone Mall's credit, at least they're doing better than K-Mart. That place looks like a former Soviet satellite state, and not one of the European ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina