Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:37 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times

Advertisements

QuilterChick,
That's exactly the type of community I'm looking for, you are spot on. I might like to find a community that is closer to Asheville. I won't know though until I look for myself.
How would I know if PineBrook Farms is having financial difficulties? I don't want to buy in a community that has problems. I googled but couldn't find any financial info. on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
QuilterChick,
That's exactly the type of community I'm looking for, you are spot on. I might like to find a community that is closer to Asheville. I won't know though until I look for myself.
How would I know if PineBrook Farms is having financial difficulties? I don't want to buy in a community that has problems. I googled but couldn't find any financial info. on it.
When you investigate any subdivision that has a homeowner's association, they will make the legal documents available to you. Rules/Regulations, Covenants, By-Laws etc. Most large real estate companies also have copies of the documents and they should be current. Get the most current financial report for any community where you consider purchasing property; and make sure they have plenty of reserves (funds on hand) in their account. Ask whether there are any pending foreclosures, abandoned properties, and/or any pending litigation against the developer.

The entire development as planned at Highland Lake did not happen. There is no Market Center in there, I want you to know that. But all of the homes were built according to the plan and they are adorable and it is nicely kept, and well located. If you notice the ad, it is an old ad from the early 2000's. The developer ran out of money to continue on with grandiose plans. But as far as I know it is thriving just the way it is now. (You will find this scenario in other developments in the general area that were not fully developed from 2008+.) It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. So do your research. Flat Rock is a very desireable area and home prices are very stable there. Ditto for Biltmore Park.

I'm not familiar with Pinebrook, other posters on here may know about it. There are some planned communities in the area that were planned but not finished, and yes, could be in financial difficulty. Doing your homework once you get here is very important; touring as many properties in person is the only way to make an informed decision. Best wishes to you !

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM

I've worked too hard and saved all my life for this retirement. I will be very careful to do my due dilegence before I make a purchase. I just hope I don't throw caution to the wind and purchase a house on emotions.

QC,
You have saved me from myself by your great advice. Buyer Beware is my motto. I need to go slowly and take my time getting to know the area. I know what I'm leaning toward but that could change. I can't wait to sell my place in Chicago and move on to my "Southern Roots". I want to embrace all the South has to offer. A slower, more leisurely life. I just hope I don't hear "bless your heart" too often. I learned quickly that comment is not meant in a nice way. The Dallas flight attendants have said it to me a few times.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Bless your heart also means 'sorry for your troubles' , 'you poor thing', or 'we know you can't help it' - it is a commiseration as well as a condemnation, which is the essence of southern culture. Knowing what is really being said beyond the words is the landmine in which we live . we understand it anyway and to explain further would lead this off topic but since you mentioned it, this was an attempt to explain that it isn't always intended badly. the Dallas flight attendants could have just been saying 'wow you did have a rough flight'.

Wish you luck and if you don't mind, might I suggest that you not expect a southern culture, especially in the mountains. Doesn't mean that there won't be aspects of it; but so much of what was, isn't anymore and you may find that disappointing if that is your expectation.

Your posts remind me of myself in some ways; I am a woman on my own who has worked my whole life and am very anxious about making this retirement move but it is time. I am from WNC and had to leave for a career. Now it is time to retire and my heart says 'go home' but home has changed so much it has become discouraging for me.

But QC once gave some good advice: Go visit just to visit and see where it clicks for you. Then start your research and serious home looking visits, not the other way around. Thank you QC.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM

theoldnorthstate,
I will be a little disappointed not to find true Southern Style Living in Asheville. I liked the "Designing Women" show and that's how I think of the South. I know that is not the reality of Asheville, that's probably more like Charleston SC. Asheville is more funky and artsy with many transplants. The picture we paint in our minds is never the same as the reality. Whatever I find in Asheville will be just right for me.

I have been to Asheville a few times and I liked it right away. I'm not just going by what I read on the internet. I was surprised how much I liked the town coming from such a large city. It will be an adjustment for sure, but also a great adventure. The best part will be getting a dog!

I know I will be happy in Asheville.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Bless your heart also means 'sorry for your troubles' , 'you poor thing', or 'we know you can't help it' - it is a commiseration as well as a condemnation, which is the essence of southern culture. Knowing what is really being said beyond the words is the landmine in which we live . we understand it anyway and to explain further would lead this off topic but since you mentioned it, this was an attempt to explain that it isn't always intended badly. the Dallas flight attendants could have just been saying 'wow you did have a rough flight'.

Wish you luck and if you don't mind, might I suggest that you not expect a southern culture, especially in the mountains. Doesn't mean that there won't be aspects of it; but so much of what was, isn't anymore and you may find that disappointing if that is your expectation.

Your posts remind me of myself in some ways; I am a woman on my own who has worked my whole life and am very anxious about making this retirement move but it is time. I am from WNC and had to leave for a career. Now it is time to retire and my heart says 'go home' but home has changed so much it has become discouraging for me.

But QC once gave some good advice: Go visit just to visit and see where it clicks for you. Then start your research and serious home looking visits, not the other way around. Thank you QC.
Thank you ONS, always glad to give support, relocating is not easy; whether someone is "coming home" or finding a new "home".

Old 05-28-2013, 02:52 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
I liked the "Designing Women" show and that's how I think of the South. I know that is not the reality of Asheville, that's probably more like Charleston SC. Asheville is more funky and artsy with many transplants.
Stereotypical Hollywood images are nothing like the Southeast. Please don't equate anything in the South with DW. Further, I'd say Charleston is more cosmopolitan than Asheville - especially with its robust/diverse economy (Boeing, IT, etc) and a much larger population (than Asheville).

I have a good colleague of mine (who is an Ohio transplant) posed a recent question to me:
"Do you know the second capital of Ohio? Charleston."

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-28-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Stereotypical Hollywood images are nothing like the Southeast. Please don't equate anything in the South with DW. Further, I'd say Charleston is more cosmopolitan than Asheville - especially with its robust economy (Boeing, IT, etc) and a much larger population (than Asheville).

I have a good colleague of mine (who is an Ohio transplant) posed a recent question to me:
"Do you know the second capital of Ohio? Charleston."
I was more or less joking comparing the south to Designing Women. I realise that show is not a real depiction of southern life. And I don't know anything about Charleston.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
xz2y,
What an informative and thought provoking analogy. I believe as more baby boomers retire, things will change with housing too. People will want to connect with their neighbors. Many boomers live alone and want to develope friendships. The big houses with garages and privacy will be a thing of the past.
QuilterChick,
I have seen many new home communities in Asheville and the houses have front porches. I love the big screened in wrap around porch.
Asheville1,
Frederick Law Olmsted designed many parts of the town I grew up in, Riverside IL. You have helped me so much in my search for a area to live in Asheville. I'm getting very excited about my future move to Asheville. I think it will fit me quite well.
Donna
Thank you so much for the positive feedback on my comments. I really appreciate it. I apologize for being tardy in replying; I haven't been on the board too much in the last couple weeks. I'm another Boomer looking for that special retirement place and AVL is high on my list. I'll know more after a visit. Anyway, thanks again. Finding a place where it's easier to meet other retirees is high on my list. I enjoyed reading about your priorities and do share your values in that regard. I'll keep following your posts.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

I don't want to pull this thread off topic, but I wanted to respond to your mention of various meanings for "bless your heart." I lived in SW VA for many years during the 1980's (near Roanoke), and at that time, it was definitely the "south" back then in many ways. (I don't know if it's changed since then, but like everywhere, things evolve and develop as more people move in.)

Anyway, I didn't hear "bless your heart" where I lived at that time, but I hear it in the north, and it usually is more a commiseration, rather than a condemnation. I actually didn't realize it could mean something less than positive, other than using it sarcastically. Can someone provide an example of the use of that phrase that is not complimentary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina