Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
I have done a lot of research on real estate websites - including new construction in developments. Since our site is somewhat isolated (17minutes from downtown Marshall) don't laugh - we timed it!! There are quite a few 2600 sq. ft. homes for 350K in developments - but what I don't know is is there a mark up for a site that is steep? and what is that mark up?
Expect to pay additional for steep. Do not know what you consider steep, but Madison County has a lot of very steep areas. We are below Spring Creek, have steep land, and found the following:

1) There are extra costs for delivery of supplies. Our driveway is such that concrete trucks would only come up with half a load. Since everything came out of Asheville, there was a large travel time (costs) involved.

2) More site-work preparation to handle storm-water run-off.

3) We considered paving the driveway. Concrete is basically ruled out as none of the concrete companies have either a front-discharge or all-wheel drive trucks. Asphalt companies quoted $25 a square foot!

May I suggest that you reconsider your basement thoughts? Especially since you are digging out your pad site, it is very low cost additional space (locate the mechanical stuff there) and will provide a buffer zone between your living space and the cold earth. Also, there is a company, Superior Walls, with an office in Fletcher (Bob Bowers) who can provide you with a very economical basement system using pre-cast concrete panels. Bob Villas has recommended Superior Walls (they do have a web-site) and we are very impresed with them. It goes up in less than a day!

Would love to know who you are using for the timber-frame. There are so many good ones in the WNC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,770 times
vq1 - thanks for that info - I will definitely look into that - hey we are neighbors - our property is off Big Pine Road - about 3 miles from the Barnard Bridge. Luckily our road is in and has been in place for years so the water run off issue is mostly resolved - we are creating a driveway out of an existing trail on the property and our total excavating costs will be 15K plus about 2K for gravel. We are meeting with Red Shed TImberworks on Thursday - and then next week I will email drawings to some of local larger timberframe cos. to get an idea of their cost estimates, But I really would prefer to use a smaller, local company. We are planning to take at least a year to build and will GC the finish work as we own our own business and can purchase things like sinks, tubs, cabinets under our company's name rather than pay a builder's mark up - One of the builders we have interviewed said he can get workers for $10/hour in Madison County - which really surprised us - obviously they are not craftsmen - but good workers to do drywall, framing, etc.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,125 times
Default Big Creek Road

Know the area. Our property is only eight miles away, but even with the shortest road distance travel, you are about 40 minutes to an hour away.

Let me give you a link to an excellent timberframe company out of Franklin, which is somewhat the hub for traditional timberframe builders (Could and would say many nice things as to their competitors, Jeff Johnson and Valerie (just forgot her last name) but they will gladly tell you all the good about them anyway.

It is: Cabin Creek Timber Frames - Design and building timber frame homes and other post and beam timber frame structures such as barns, cabins, porches, churches etc. Offering high quality standard timber frames as well as custom-designed timber frame home

The owner is a wonderfully design talented retired physician (originally from Hendersonville who has been doing this for about 30 years), Tracy, who handles sales is helpful, as is the manager, Robert Funderburke. Take the opportunity to see the lived in model home that is a showcase - it uses a variety of woods and frame styles. The pictures on their web-page can not do justice to the beauty and details of seeing their work in person. There are various packages that can be adapted to your requirements and SIPs are used. They will complete to the level you want (just the shell on up to turnkey), so you can finish as much as you wish. They have worked with Superior Walls, as have most timberframe companies.

The advantage that we saw to their complete timberframe package, in addition to price, was the speed with which it could be dried in. With the type of construction that you are talking about (hybrid) you end up with much more time for the construction to be exposed to the elements. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with the shell package pricing.

Your thoughts on taking a year to finish it makes me again want to suggest a basement as it is a lot easier to run plumbing, ducting and electrical with a basement. I speak from first hand experience on that one.

For your information, (two year old Superior Walls info) 10 feet high wall ran less than $100 a linear foot, had excellent thermal insulation and moisture barrier protection, and made it easy to finish off the space, if you desired to later.

If nothing else, ask a local to you Superior Walls office if you can watch a wall raising. If you are watching one out of Asheville (Fletcher), hopefully Van(?) will be the wall man (monkey!) Get there early, as we saw a 24 x 60 basement raised in less than two hours from the time the delivery trucks arrived and the crane was in place. It is definitely worthwhile to see!

Last edited by vq1; 11-07-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 10:46 AM

187 posts, read 1,023,025 times
Quote:
Thanks Vandemusser - I appreciate the input - also - do you see an issue with building just the gathering room in timber frame and stick building the rest (master bedroom/kitchen/utility room) We meet with our architect Thursday when we visit (Yayy!) Madison County again- Hey does anyone know if they voted to allow the sale of beer and wine in Marshall at last night's council meeting??
What you are doing with the timber frame is pretty common. It's overkill for a lot of people to do timber frame through an entire house. Focusing this kind of detailing in a specific location (like a great room) keeps cost down and lets the timber frame be something unique to the house.

I also agree with the basement / superior wall comment. Crawl spaces and slabs can be real headaches - with crawl spaces, you either get animals living under your house or moisture problems. With slab on grade, you get cold feet (unless you are doing radiant floor heat) and cracked floors. For a little extra money, you get usable storage or room to expand the finished area of your house.

Good luck with your new house!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Most helpful vq1 - I just sent Cabin Creek an email requesting info and will email them our plans. Our main issue with the basement is that there are just two of us and it has to cost less to build less square footage doesn't it? But good point about exposure to elements...food for thought - glad we had this conversation as we leave tomorrow for Mad county

Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,145 times
Quote:
Our construction will be part timber frame (gathering room) and the rest stick-built-
Please keep us posted on your quest to build a hybrid. I also hope to build a hybrid home some day. I have done a little research on Timber Frames and here are a couple of web sites for you to check out.

Sorry for some reason I can't do a link that works so you will have to cut and paste

The 1st link is to a company in Saluda, they are off I 26 and have a model.

"*Timberframe Homes Post & Beam Homes,Timber frame Designs & Packages! Mill Creek Post & Beam!"
and
Goshen Timber Frames Magazine Resources and Business Links (http://www.timberframemag.com/TimberFrameBusinesslinks.htm - broken link)

The latter site is Goshen Timber Frames. They teach timberframing and you can even help cut your own frame with other students! There is another company/school in the Franklin area but I cant remember the name. Maybe another poster can help with that.

I think a general rule of thumb for timber frame packages is multiply the package price X's 3 to get an approximate price of the finished home.

Good Luck!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks to all - I will keep you updated on our progress - It will be a challenge to build a home in WNC when we live in IL but we will have stop points and we will be going there a lot since our youngest will be off to college next Fall.
Also - do you think builders will consider it an insult if we don't want them to do the finish work, like the kitchen and bathrooms? We want to hire local contractors/craftsman to do some of this work but I don't want to offend. just curious

Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM

92 posts, read 480,062 times
Quote:
Our main issue with the basement is that there are just two of us and it has to cost less to build less square footage doesn't it?
Well, the answer to that is yes of course. However, unless you have a significant problem with the topography of the lot (too steep) or run into a major problem like solid rock, the cost of digging out a basement is not that bad and the benefits are very good. As has been mentioned, it provides storage, cold & moisture protection, easy access for installation and repair of mechanical systems, and future expansion (you may never want / need it but it will add to resale). Assuming no major issues, we've been quoted approx $25 / sq ft for digging a full basement over the cost of standard crawl space. Also, if cost is a big issue, you don't have to do basement under the entire plan. Even a modest basement space is useful. Worth a second though anyway........

Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM

We changed our plans to include a basement under the Master bedroom - approx 16 X 13. We will have our utilities there as well as storage. Thanks for the helpful insight all.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
What you are doing with the timber frame is pretty common. It's overkill for a lot of people to do timber frame through an entire house. Focusing this kind of detailing in a specific location (like a great room) keeps cost down and lets the timber frame be something unique to the house.
Hey van...minor hi-jack here....sorry.
Speaking of timber frames...
I've written several timber frame companies which seem to mostly be in Franklyn for some reason asking about apprenticing with them come early spring or sooner perhaps being we hopefully will be moving to the Asheville area by summer assuming our house is sold by then.
I've been doing reno's for over thirty years now and wanted to get into a change of pace when we move from NY to the WNC mnts so I'm thinking of buying a mid sized Wood-Mizer saw mill and learning some timber framing to add to my tool box. So far no one's written me back. Wondering what you know about whats going on with any of these apprentice programs other than what I read on their sites.
You can see some of my work in my web site in my profile if you want and the house that I'm selling (goose hill rd.)
any onfo would be appreciated. Sure would love to learn some timber framing. One way or another I'm determined
Thanks mucho
andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina