Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 34,297 times

Advertisements

I've been away from this forum for well over a year, but still looking for land around Lake Lure. Anyone have any experience around Paradise Point? South East end of the lake?

I don't think I can afford lake front, although I am interested. More like a little away from the lake, but lake access is preferred.

I want land to build a small cottage, but might also build a pedestal home like topside offers.

Anyone know of any cheap lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:31 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
I'm kind new here in WNC, but from what I've seen, "cheap" and "Lake Lure" don't belong in the same sentence. But "cheap" is relative. I guess it depends on how you subjectively define that term.

If you could provide an estimated dollar amount, these forums might better be able to assist you in your search.

There IS a single-wide with a view, that IIRC, is worth north of $600k. I don't believe it's currently on the market, though.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYer View Post
I've been away from this forum for well over a year, but still looking for land around Lake Lure. Anyone have any experience around Paradise Point? South East end of the lake?

I don't think I can afford lake front, although I am interested. More like a little away from the lake, but lake access is preferred.

I want land to build a small cottage, but might also build a pedestal home like topside offers.

Anyone know of any cheap lots?
WNY, I was born in Lake Lure and just spent Thanksgiving week in one of those beautiful house built in Rumbling Bald Resort on the Lakefront. It was nice and I can see the appeal. I drove by Paradise Point and looked at some of the properties thinking could I find a place I could afford where I could live full time.

But

why do you want this land? Full time living? Resort part time living? Vacation home for you? Vacation Rentals? Full time rentals? Retirement living for you?

Why you want it makes as much a difference as does what you consider to be cheap.

For me, as I was looking at these lots you mentioned I decided they would not work for me as a single retiree. And I grew up there and have family and friends who could help me out if I got stuck or couldn't make it up the hill. These sorts of places are just inappropriate for me as a retiree and I am a good mountain driver and respectful of the terrain. And I am not that old, yet. Still, I would not want to lug my groceries down the hill. I teased my son and SIL they would need to build me a conveyor to carry my stuff for me. And there was really no level land to walk around and enjoy the outing. Yet I used to run up and down those hills and mountains as a kid and it was no problem.

Now, if I were doing vacation rentals, it might work since the renter coming up for one week might not mind the parking, driveway, and toting things once they settled into the beautiful house over looking the lake.

If you were inclined to use it as a vacation home or part time living for yourself it might work especially if you were younger and had family who would enjoy the up and down as I did as a child. Plus the lake access.

Lastly, I don't think Lake Lure is that isolated so I wouldn't mind full time living there. Some people might. and I love it there but the lots and land you mentioned would not do for me as a full time retiree resident. And that was my point of view as I looked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina