U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2007, 12:18 PM
 
157 posts, read 735,834 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

We are a family of four couples in our 50's wanting to do a NC lake vacation for a week in August.

Would be nice if there were some restaurants and pontoon boat rentals close by.

Someone mentioned Lake Lure as a good pick.

What would be the pros and cons of Lake Lure and Lake James for this vacation trip?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
We are a family of four couples in our 50's wanting to do a NC lake vacation for a week in August.

Would be nice if there were some restaurants and pontoon boat rentals close by.

Someone mentioned Lake Lure as a good pick.

What would be the pros and cons of Lake Lure and Lake James for this vacation trip?

Thank you.

As much as I love Lake James, Lake Lure is the spot you are looking for for a vacation. Lake James is all residental. There is a small state park there which is very nice, but not much else. Lake Lure is just awesome for the boat rides and sunset cruises, not to mention the great hiking nearby and the wonderful Chimney Rock (plan to spend a whole day there - you'll love the views!). In addition, Asheville is only 25 miles away for other great activities. Have a great time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As much as I love Lake James, Lake Lure is the spot you are looking for for a vacation. Lake James is all residental. There is a small state park there which is very nice, but not much else. Lake Lure is just awesome for the boat rides and sunset cruises, not to mention the great hiking nearby and the wonderful Chimney Rock (plan to spend a whole day there - you'll love the views!). In addition, Asheville is only 25 miles away for other great activities. Have a great time!
P.S. Look into staying at a great little place high up on a mountaintop called Hickory Nut Gap Inn. They have 5 private rooms, each with their own bath, and cool amenities like a game room with a bowling alley! Look them up at
www.hickorynutgapinn.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 PM
 
157 posts, read 735,834 times
Reputation: 91
Wow, HNG looks beautiful, be perfect if it was on the lake.

Thank you for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 02:25 PM
 
2,487 posts, read 6,056,028 times
Reputation: 983
I too would go with Lake Lure...in fact you might check into a site I have used in the past (for other family vacations)...it is called Vacation Rentals by Owner (www.vrbo.com) (broken link). There are several there for Lake Lure, with many right on the lake, others even include pontoon boats, and/or other watercraft. I keep eyeing this one: www.vrbo.com/19304 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 04:14 PM
 
Location: "The Gorge"
895 posts, read 2,183,666 times
Reputation: 675
My vote is for Lake Lure, less than an hour from Asheville, Hendersonville, Black Mountain, & The Blue Ridge Parkway. You can rent pontoons and there are several restaurants to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 PM
 
Location: SoCA to NC
1,490 posts, read 5,092,611 times
Reputation: 693
Is lake Lure good for family vacations with younger kids (13,19,8)? We are trying to decide between beach or lake for our Summer vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Mount Holly, NC
259 posts, read 856,805 times
Reputation: 150
I'm also curious about this. Our family just moved to NC and being flatlanders most of our life we are enamored with the idea of camping in early summer (ugh, not possible in FL) and seeing as much mountains/waterfalls/etc as we can in the days that we have to spend.
We hoped to take a day trip to Lake James for canoeing (its supposedly available and very cheap) and hiking part of the day, and spend a seperate day at Lake Lure enjoying the beach/waterpark since we have small children, while staying at a campground somewhat centrally located.
Is Lake Lure offerring canoeing? Should I drop Lake James from my itenerary to spend more time at Lake Lure? Not so much interested in shopping and dining options, more just views and history and activities good for children.
Anyone have any more thoughts on this Lake James vs Lure debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
I'm also curious about this. Our family just moved to NC and being flatlanders most of our life we are enamored with the idea of camping in early summer (ugh, not possible in FL) and seeing as much mountains/waterfalls/etc as we can in the days that we have to spend.
We hoped to take a day trip to Lake James for canoeing (its supposedly available and very cheap) and hiking part of the day, and spend a seperate day at Lake Lure enjoying the beach/waterpark since we have small children, while staying at a campground somewhat centrally located.
Is Lake Lure offerring canoeing? Should I drop Lake James from my itenerary to spend more time at Lake Lure? Not so much interested in shopping and dining options, more just views and history and activities good for children.
Anyone have any more thoughts on this Lake James vs Lure debate?
Take your kids to Lake Lure! There is a great little beach there for them to swim in the lake, along with great boat rides in the lake with spectacular views all around 360 degrees. Then, spend a day visiting and climbing Chimney Rock - it is very family friendly. There is a great little campground about 2 miles past Lake Lure called Hickory Nut Falls Campground. If you reserve a space soon enough you can tent camp RIGHT NEXT to a rushing, roaring trout stream - best nights sleep I've ever had. Plus, you can fish or just sit in the natural whirlpools the water makes - like natures hot tub - only cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM
 
Location: SoCA to NC
1,490 posts, read 5,092,611 times
Reputation: 693
What is the water temp at Lake Lure during the Summer? Is the lake really warm enough to swim comfortably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top