Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,902 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to visit the Blowing Rock/Boone area in the spring for vacation. We have never visited the area before. Would Blowing Rock be better to stay in than Boone as far as central location/things to do? is Blowing Rock generally more expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 AM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
You would want to experience Blowing Rock for a vacation stay. It's centrally located to the shops, stores, attractions, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's more expensive than Boone, yet the latter is more of a normal town with a university. Blowing Rock is more of an escape from the norm...a vacation destination.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Having been to both many times on annual golf/drive/get away trips, I like them both, but agree on BR for a 'vacay'.
Tad pricer motel-wise, but many to choose from, cute walkable downtown, etc.

Trip Advisor list:
Blowing Rock Hotels: Compare 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock, with 1,364 Reviews | TripAdvisor

Fwiw, we have stayed at the Village Inn many times, (#15 in that list), but booking it for decent price requires some early planning, but so do most of the area motels, imo.

Village Inn is a <10 min walk up the street to main downtown street.

But with kids, you may want something more kid friendly...

OP didn't say when 'in Spring', but be aware that 'spring' comes to parts of western NC at different times, mostly all based on elevation and micro climes.

Spring time in Asheville is well ahead of 'spring time' in Boone, BR, and any higher elevation areas.
GL, mD

Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
Another vote for BR. Have fun

Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't think it makes any difference, personally, as far as being centrally located for things to do. It's just 15 minutes from Boone to Blowing Rock.

I like the restaurants better in Boone for family fare. I think the Blowing Rock restaurants are a little more upscale. Our family has a mountain house in Boone and we're up in Boone and Blowing Rock frequently. I think King St in Boone is just as walkable as Blowing Rock. Our kids (now 12 & 10) have liked the little park in Blowing Rock over the years and going to Kilwin's for fudge and ice cream. We like the Mellow Mushroom in Boone over the Blowing Rock MM, though.

Make sure to go to the old original Mast General Store in Valle Crucis while you're there (not the one in Boone, although it's a fine store, just not a genuine antique).

The parkway is slightly more accessible from Blowing Rock, but I don't think that makes a major difference.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
I agree. You can't go wrong staying in either town. I usually stay in Blowing Rock. We have stayed at the "Hillwinds" which I believe is a sister property of The one Motor David suggested.

We stay there mainly because it is dog friendly as my dog loves Blowing Rock too! It is not expensive and they usually have some sort of deal or special running. The basic rooms are well, basic. They also have some fancier rooms but dogs can't go there They have a nice breakfast and wine and cheese I believe in the afternoon. It is right in the center of town so you can walk virtually every where.

Blowing Rock is also close to Moses Cone Park which I adore. Sorry to blather on but Blowing Rock is a favorite of mine. But I love Boone too. I have never gone to Blowing Rock and not gone to the Mast store-the one in Boone and Valle Crucis too!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
We went to the area two years ago. Both towns are fairly close. The drive from either really isn't a big deal, though it may depend on where you stay (in town hotel vs. cabin in the mountains). We used Blowing Rock for our stay, and really Boone wouldn't have been any worse or better. We walked downtown Blowing Rock and downtown Boone. Boone being bigger has more shops along King St. near the university. We ate at Capone's Pizza in Boone twice during our half of week stay, it is that good. We also ate at Six Pence Pub in Blowing Rock....good food there. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina