Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:08 AM

95 posts, read 171,063 times

Advertisements

I didn't detect any "disdain" from Dave Letterman. It was a nice shoutout to Asheville from Kristen Wiig. They spent more time talking about the sensory deprivation tank than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM

497 posts, read 969,012 times
Kristen Wiig (one "i" wasn't enough, needed two to really be somebody) focused more on what it's like to be a New Yorker in Asheville, like a reverse culture shock. She came across as arrogant and judgmental. This entire "hippie" stereotype is very outdated in any city, including San Francisco. There is definitely a larger population of creative, tolerant and artistic people in Asheville. Call them "liberal" if you like, which given the conservative orientation in NC and among the majority of respondents on this forum makes Asheville a refreshing oasis. I'm working hard on contributing my talent here.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM

503 posts, read 926,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
Kristen Wiig (one "i" wasn't enough, needed two to really be somebody) focused more on what it's like to be a New Yorker in Asheville, like a reverse culture shock. She came across as arrogant and judgmental. This entire "hippie" stereotype is very outdated in any city, including San Francisco. There is definitely a larger population of creative, tolerant and artistic people in Asheville. Call them "liberal" if you like, which given the conservative orientation in NC and among the majority of respondents on this forum makes Asheville a refreshing oasis. I'm working hard on contributing my talent here.
Don't kid yourself. Progressives can be some of the most intolerant people in existence.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post

I do believe the word "hippie" itself is outdated and conjures up a different visual to many people than the connotation of your above description. Maybe the "hippie" description could relate more to a sub-culture in downtown Asheville. Having eleven (11) zip codes within Buncombe County itself for those who are not familiar with the city is something to be taken into consideration; it is quite a wide area and should not be rolled all into relating to the city itself.

I don't see many successful articulate artists walking around half naked with painted or heavily tat'd and pierced bodies with pockets full of hash. Do you ? And I don't consider them creative, talented or artistic liberals.

We love and support our respectable true local artists here, of which there are many.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM

215 posts, read 371,042 times
I watched the clip and was prepared to be outraged. But really, I didn't hear anything super offensive from them. Even Dave, who is always smart alecky (that's his thing, it's funny) seemed favorable toward the town. I like both Robertson and Letterman. I am a fan of Wiig, so this thread piqued my interest.
I don't think hippie connotes nasty people lying around in their own filth. It's more holistic and natural, earthy and yeah, a bit flaky. Kind of like the original hippies vs. the second generation of hippies, if I remember my documentaries correctly

Old 09-04-2014, 12:10 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponychick View Post
I watched the clip and was prepared to be outraged. But really, I didn't hear anything super offensive from them. Even Dave, who is always smart alecky (that's his thing, it's funny) seemed favorable toward the town. I like both Robertson and Letterman. I am a fan of Wiig, so this thread piqued my interest.
I don't think hippie connotes nasty people lying around in their own filth. It's more holistic and natural, earthy and yeah, a bit flaky. Kind of like the original hippies vs. the second generation of hippies, if I remember my documentaries correctly

Then you weren't around during the Woodstock festival in August of 1969. Hundreds of thousands of real hippies slothing around totally wasted.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
This seems to be a thread for "Get off my lawn" Conservative conformists that think a bigoted hypocrite who uses religion to deny rights to those he considers sinners and guns are the closest thing to God, is not only entertainment but a person to be admired. Well....have at it.
So . . . I guess this means you LIKE Letterman?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Watched the clip on the net...
It's just late night talk show TV.

They could have been 'talking about' a dozen cities in the US, though the subject was A'ville.
Didn't bother me and it seems the point of most of these current shows is to poke at something, someone, some place while damning it with faint praise.

The threads really get bent here these days, imo.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
I didn't detect any "disdain" from Dave Letterman. It was a nice shoutout to Asheville from Kristen Wiig. They spent more time talking about the sensory deprivation tank than anything else.
Well, he was faintly snorting about the types of things available in Asheville - saying something to the effect of "Oh, I thought that was passé 30 years ago" -- some reference that made it sound like Asheville was a throwback of late starters who had just discovered the New Age movement. I would have to watch it again but came across as an elitist, look-down-your-nose sort of comment.

It seemed Kristen liked Asheville fine (or at least didn't dislike it) but then she made the comparison to the movie "Nell" saying going back home to NYC was similar to Nell "coming out of the woods" in shock and disbelief when she laid eyes on a city. So essentially, she was saying Asheville was so removed from reality (or rural?) that getting to the big city makes your eyes pop out, lol. She called it "culture shock." That would lend me to think she felt things were unsophisticated in Asheville, but again -- I don't think she was trying to be unkind.

Dave's nearly under the breath last comment in the clip was . . . "and things really do exist there that way" (that is a paraphrase, but close). Like - OMG - there is a place that backwards!!! But who knows.

People say they "love Asheville" but they may actually be referring to one (or several) of the many small burgs around Asheville, or they could be thinking of the park system. And I do think it has a lot to do with where you live in the region as to how much time you are actually spending downtown. My son and his friends "love Asheville" because there are several venues where they go see indie bands and there are breweries in the region they like to check out.

I have elderly friends (80s) who live on a ridge that has a view of Asheville. They rarely go into the city. They spend more of their time on the outskirts of the city and in other burgs around the area. At night, the view from their home is priceless -- all the city lights twinkling. They "love Asheville" but what they are loving is from a distance!!!

The area is a LOT MORE than what goes on in downtown Asheville!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:56 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
I do wonder why people who seem to dislike AVL and the inhabitants so much stay? I am sure other places have more job opportunities and conservative culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina