Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Flint View Post
NC "mountains" are not like central NY. The Appalachians are steep and rugged. The lakes are almost all man made. That means they chose a deep steep canyon, damed the river and filled the canyon. Very little, or no, level or semi level land to the water edge.

Not all, but many are like this. Lake Lure is one. Waterfront property is very likely to be house on a hillside with a long stairway down to your dock and boathouse.

There are others with less severe topography, like near Morristown TN and Morgantown NC as some have noted, but please be aware the topography is filled with steep ravines.
True.

But I have to give a shout out for Lake Chatuge again whether on the NC side or the GA side ... there are plenty of level lakefront lots on that lake.

With that budget, the OP could also check out Lake Burton or Lake Rabun in Rabun County, GA. The Lakemont area ... as upscale as it gets on a lake. It's where Atlanta big wigs congregate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinerino View Post
Actually considering western Nc eastern Tenn and perhaps western SC or Ga
We are on Skaneatles Lake now. John Walsh Americas Most Wanted lives across the lake
Our Lake is Syracuse drinking water.
If we moved it would accomplish 2 things...cut my non income producing assets more than half.
Put us at midway point between our 3 kids and grandchildren.

I own almost 2 acres on lake with large Victorian home barn and boathouse.
Also own vacant lot next door
I would spend 1 to 1.8 million buying or building.
Of course I need to visit ...more than a few times. And probably rent.

Finding a clean lake for my wife and long range mountain views for me with shopping within a reasonable distance and good golf nearby is quite the challenge.
I do like Brad Wright design type home
And suspect I may have to build.
I'm 65 and need to
get this right.
I think you are right. Finding all of these things to recreate what we have at half the price leads me to believe it will be daunting task.
Thanks
One more thing. I liked the overall concept of The Cliffs on Lake Keowee in SC. However, in SC, if this is not your primary residence, then you can pay much more in property taxes. And no lakes in other Cliff communitites. Also think 50k to become a member is high. But loved the quality of the community and golf courses. My interests are golf, practice golf and going to gym. Not into horses, croquet or other club type things.
Nor need to live on golf course since I already have that in Fl
Thanks for listening.
The best deal for you if you are going to spend that much is Pinnacle Lodge located in Kenmure at 3000 feet. It has 7 acres and forever views. The guy who owned and built it was killed in a traffic accident and the estate wants to get rid of it. It has been off and on the market since. He had another home in Fla that is priced at $13MM. Worth a look if you are in the area.

Pinnacle Lodge

Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The best deal for you if you are going to spend that much is Pinnacle Lodge located in Kenmure at 3000 feet. It has 7 acres and forever views. The guy who owned and built it was killed in a traffic accident and the estate wants to get rid of it. It has been off and on the market since. He had another home in Fla that is priced at $13MM. Worth a look if you are in the area.

Pinnacle Lodge

If that price includes all furnishings, that would be a good deal for the right price. Next time around, a seller could have the same problem of waiting for the perfect buyer; that is a huge property, and there is competition much closer to Asheville.

"The Ramble" for example has some spectacular homes on the market for less.

http://www.beverly-hanks.com/index.p...s=The%20Ramble

Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If that price includes all furnishings, that would be a good deal for the right price. Next time around, a seller could have the same problem of waiting for the perfect buyer; that is a huge property, and there is competition much closer to Asheville.

"The Ramble" for example has some spectacular homes on the market for less.

Beverly Hanks & Associates REALTORS® | Homes and Properties for Sale in North Carolina
Like I said the estate would like to sell. Up to the buyer to negotiate a deal. IMO, it probably cost the owner ~$3MM to build this house, not including the land. It is absolutely spectacular. You would have to go to Aspen to see an equal.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Like I said the estate would like to sell. Up to the buyer to negotiate a deal. IMO, it probably cost the owner ~$3MM to build this house, not including the land. It is absolutely spectacular. You would have to go to Aspen to see an equal.

No takers after 445 days on the market; not unusual for the most expensive property in any subdivision, gated community, etc. No lake either.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 AM

16 posts, read 48,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Lake Toxaway...
A quick look at Realtor.com shows several large houses, with large home sites, and mtn/lake views.
28747 Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

The lake is at ~3,000 ft elevation. Summers will be much less hot than down in the 1500-2000 ft elevations. Winters are more like winter, but not Finger Lakes winters.

Mobility in winter will be reduced, but if one is retired, getting out 'daily' for a run to 'town' may not be high on the list of concerns.

If I was doing it again and trying to 'get it right' as the OP wisely wrote, I would look for existing house vs building, esp in the various sections the OP might be considering.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD
I agree. I am leaning toward buying existing home vs buying lot and build. I found someone that handles Lake Jocassee and Keeowee. Leaning toward The Reserve or al a carte and being in a Crescent community on Keowee. Florida is too hot for my wife and Toxaway as well as Glenville might be too remote. Need to sell my house first. Have visited area a couple of times and will do so 2-3 more times before we decide. Thanks

Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Pinnacle Lodge
Thank you but my wife insists on waterfront. I like mountain views

Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
True.

But I have to give a shout out for Lake Chatuge again whether on the NC side or the GA side ... there are plenty of level lakefront lots on that lake.

With that budget, the OP could also check out Lake Burton or Lake Rabun in Rabun County, GA. The Lakemont area ... as upscale as it gets on a lake. It's where Atlanta big wigs congregate.
Lakemont looks nice...also focusing on taxes....compared to Fl
thank you

Old 07-16-2017, 03:50 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Vinerino:

It appears that you're still looking! I've been "looking" for decades and watched all these prices increase...:-(

I would be interested in what you've narrowed down to. We do not have the same budget as you, nor need a fab lake view, but we are also Floridians (and I went to SU) and we've been tramping around the Western NC mountain areas for years and STILL haven't landed either.

My hot buttons are mountain views, golf available, and a cute/charming town to call home. I've more or less narrowed it down to Asheville/Hendersonville/Flat Rock, but we may revisit the Cliffs Valley community also, as it's within 1 hr. of Asheville and half hr. of Greenville. We would like a place where we could do weekend trips to a "big little city" for culture and whatnot every once in awhile.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
Finding a clean lake for my wife and long range mountain views for me with shopping within a reasonable distance and good golf nearby is quite the challenge.
I think you sould look at Tellico Village in TN. Beautiful long range views, golf, lakefront. Turkey Creek will be your destination for full range regional shopping. Just not as cool as the mountain lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina