Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which >900 sq. Ft. building would you rather build or live in
A-Frame 15 68.18%
Katrina Cottage 3 13.64%
Container Home 1 4.55%
Tent 1 4.55%
trailer 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 PM

36 posts, read 187,660 times

Advertisements

Hey andybuildz, sent away for the info on the "Zip" systems, looks VERY Cool! they were kind enough to send 6" x 6" SAMPLES of joined pieces of floor, wall, and roofing samples, very impressive stuff, it sure seems sorta scary to be putting what LOOKS like "Particle Board" out in the rain but this stuff feels more like solid resin! Its a definite "short lister" Thanks for the tip...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM

652 posts, read 2,266,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe704 View Post
Hey andybuildz, sent away for the info on the "Zip" systems, looks VERY Cool! they were kind enough to send 6" x 6" SAMPLES of joined pieces of floor, wall, and roofing samples, very impressive stuff, it sure seems sorta scary to be putting what LOOKS like "Particle Board" out in the rain but this stuff feels more like solid resin! Its a definite "short lister" Thanks for the tip...
It's the furthest thing from particle board. I did all my floors with "Advantech"...same company and basically the same stuff without the coating. I had scraps of it sitting in puddles for months and it never even swelled up a hair.
And WITH that covering they have on the boards of the ZipSystem it's virtually indestructible.
I took a cpl of workshops regarding the use of it and I have to tell ya...it's one of THE most advanced systems around today and it's really not that much more money at all. What gets a bit expensive is the tape you use to seal up the seams.
Looks cool too...lol

Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Oh wait wait....I have another product I think you'll dig....I used this stuff a lot and hardly anyone even knows about it.
It's called Thermasteel...here's a link of a timber frame garden room I designed and just finished for a customer only a few months ago. I used it for the roof.
For your A frame it's be awesome!!!
It's in my blog...oh wait...I think the moderators are gonna take brownie points away from me again if I post it...hmm lemmie add my blog to my profile and you can see it there.
It's the "Garden Room" I built.
EDIT: I can't figure out how to add my blog so if you hit my name up top and look in my "Andybuildz's HOMEPAGE"...I changed my web site to my blog.
Lemmie know whatcha think. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Last edited by andybuildz; 11-20-2009 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,577 times
you can get your (site cut) lumber graded and stamped at the mill where you have it dried..and having it dried at a mill will eliminate the problem of infestation..just be sure to debark it immediately and deliver it immediately.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Andybuildz, saw the room, and the Thermasteel, very cool stuff, sorta looks like something called "Concrete Canvas" I've been reading about, but better, that Garden Room is a beautiful thing, the Wood is beautiful! As for Hanks suggestion about the milling, i mentioned that I have at plenty of big straight pines to get milled and stamped, so that IS and option, but the tough part is I cant be up there in the mountains for much longer than a few days at a shot and between that and the Crane time and labor to get it dried in quick......have to keep my regular job here for

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Andybuildz, saw the room, and the Thermasteel, very cool stuff, sorta looks like something called "Concrete Canvas" I've been reading about, but better, that Garden Room is a beautiful thing, the Wood is beautiful! As for Hanks suggestion about the milling, i mentioned that I have at plenty of big straight pines to get milled and stamped, so that IS and option, but the tough part is I cant be up there in the mountains for much longer than a few days at a shot and between that and the Crane time and labor to get it dried in quick......have to keep my regular job here for
Sorry bro ...but I'm probably the worst person to ask b/c I like the last idea too. Only you know whats worth dealing with though.
I have an idea for you!! Check this site out if you haven't seen it before. I almost live in here between the timber framing and saw milling..I read the posts and pant like a dog...lol The Forestry Forum

Lets see...I already decided on the Norwood 2000 mill and ....ugh...oh yeh..still need my house sold

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I break out in a sweat whenever I see a load of lumber on a Train or Semi going by, we could start a support group, glad to hear there's others with the same affliction! I have called a coupla guys advertising in the local Hickory iwanna newspaper, but their rigs are not able to handle the size logs I need, has to be transported to the mill, major time consumer. Yup, I got a condo here in Ft. Lauderdale cant sell I'm underwater on, paying on time, good deal 5 years ago, no so much today, but about 50% of south florida is same situation, but if I could sell, Id have that mountain house dried in and be livin here on a small houseboat real quick! Ah, the hurdles...

Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 PM

I am rethinking the A-Frame, dang global economic meltdown is impacting my plan a LOT, I may, and probably will have to suck it up and go conventional stud walls and 5/12 pitch roof,gotta roll with it, the funds are low! the move could happen sooner than later!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
I am rethinking the A-Frame, dang global economic meltdown is impacting my plan a LOT, I may, and probably will have to suck it up and go conventional stud walls and 5/12 pitch roof,gotta roll with it, the funds are low! the move could happen sooner than later!

Was hoping for an update from you!

Sorry to hear the economy is affecting your plans

But "git 'er done" however you can so you can start enjoying your life on your land!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM

I wasat the cabin working 3 weeks ago when Ifell off a ladder and badly broke my leg, could have been fatal, I was very lucky to be found and rushed to trauma center, and am healing in Florida as I write this, I have decided to go with a conventional stick built main floor with 5/12 pitch roof, same floor plan but from 3 floors to Basement and main floor, its plenty of room, much more affordable and less dramatic lumber reqs. I will not be as prone to climb after this but still have my leg and my life, so, still going for it, dont ever quit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina