Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 04:33 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Liberal hiker here.
I never go hiking in the Sandhills without a pistol. You never know when you're going to be attacked by a turtle or a rabbit.
Or a raccoon with rabies. Heck I've had a squirrel growl at me on my back porch. You can also shoot a poisonous snake. I was in Rockingham yesterday, it looks like wild country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Ok, zero people have been killed by black bears in NC who didn't attempt to kill the bear first. Better?
lol. He shot the bear with a deer rifle and missed. The bear came after him and he tumbled down a hill. He was able to grab his 44 just in time before the bear attacked. But people go ape-crap when they see a bear. Honestly when I hike, I equally prepare for crazy human encounters as animals. They're more unpredictable.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:39 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
What is a "verified sighting"? Channel 3 having it on live camera? There are several mountain lions in western NC. A black bear killed a kid a couple years back in another state.
No, there hasn't.

"Finally, one of the most tenacious rumors regards cougars (also called panthers and mountain lions). The Wildlife Commission receives dozens of calls reporting sightings every year. Nearly all are unconfirmed, and many turn out to be bobcats, deer, foxes or coyotes — all of which are common in North Carolina.

All confirmed sightings since 1950 turn out to be escaped captive animals, kept as pets. The wild eastern cougar has been extinct in North Carolina for many years."

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > News > Blogs > NCWRC Blog - Wildlife Mythbusters

Old 12-20-2015, 04:40 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
I have hiked for better than 20 years and never had a problem with any animal or man. I did get the fright of my life one day when a huge, at least 10 point buck, walked across my path and snorted at me. The minute I moved he was gone like a ghost.

Seen plenty of animals including bears, elk, deer, fishers, coyotes, skunks, snakes, idiots on atvs, etc.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
No, there hasn't.

"Finally, one of the most tenacious rumors regards cougars (also called panthers and mountain lions). The Wildlife Commission receives dozens of calls reporting sightings every year. Nearly all are unconfirmed, and many turn out to be bobcats, deer, foxes or coyotes — all of which are common in North Carolina.

All confirmed sightings since 1950 turn out to be escaped captive animals, kept as pets. The wild eastern cougar has been extinct in North Carolina for many years."

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > News > Blogs > NCWRC Blog - Wildlife Mythbusters
In Murphy there is, but those aren't the type of people who call the cops or channel 3 news lol. Someone has to be ignorant to mistake a bobcat for a panther.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:29 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Great picture! With black bears, especially Mom with cubs, back away slowly. If charged make yourself as big as possible, yell, throw things, do not run. Most of the time black bears are not aggressive but keep your distance. Do not be one of those idiots who thinks a selfie next to a wild animal would be cool. :-( Not that I think you would, but up where the Elk have been reintroduced someone always does something stupid. Maybe just natural selection at work.....
Relatives on Gov. Reynolds Mountain see bears and cubs regularly, without incident.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:20 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I wouldn't say that. I know a guy had one come after him after shooting it. Luckily he had a 44 on his ankle or he would have been killed by the bear. He was bear hunting.
Actually, there are pretty good records kept on bear attacks. There are zero known deaths due to bears in NC, and that includes hunters and people throwing hot dogs at bears while stealing cubs from mama (joke). Here's the relevant Wiki page, which is exceptionally useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Because bear attacks are rare, and bear attack deaths even rarer, it is quite easy for such cases to be compiled into central databases. Note that there have been cases of hunters being killed by bears, but I believe all of those were Grizzlies (and thus very far from NC!). For those who are interested in this sort of thing, the book Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance is a good read.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
There was that college kid killed I think in New Jersey(? somewhere up north) by a black bear last year.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:19 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There was that college kid killed I think in New Jersey(? somewhere up north) by a black bear last year.
Yes that is true, but still rare.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
One of the bear attacks in TN was about 5 miles from the NC line.

So it is silly to think it can't happen. But you are far more likely to be killed/injured in a car wreck on your way to the trailhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina