Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,524 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving from Montana to Waynesville in the hopes of slightly milder winters. What can you tell me about winters in Waynesville? How about summers? How is the commute to Asheville in winter?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 03:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
The Asheville weather link should be helpful. You can search by zip code. Covers a lot of territory.

https://wlos.com/weather

Depending on your elevation, your mileage will vary.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,632,142 times
18 1/2 years here in/'above' Waynesville, at ~4,900 ft elevation...

It is all about elevation, but imo winters here are milder than Billings, MT.

Down in/around town, at 2500 ft, it will be 'mild winter', with occasional snow, etc. As one moves up the mtns that surround Waynesville, 3500 to 4000 ft equals 6-10 degs F less 'hot' in summer, but a corresponding more 'cold' in winter.

Above 4,000 winter can be a challenge for a few days/weeks per winter season depending upon your location, road type, et al.

If you will be commuting to Asheville, it can range from 30 mins to 45 mins depending upon 'where in Waynesville to where in Asheville'.
Over the past 18 years, traffic in all areas of western NC has grown dramatically. Retired Bum here, but I would not want to commute to A every day, even after 25 yrs in NYC/metro NY.

Budget for house is a factor; good stuff is not cheap.

Other questions, toss them up or DM me.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 03-20-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 7,524 times
Thanks so much, motordavid!!
That is all about what I was imagining. But , WOW! You can have a 2-3000 foot difference in elevation, and still be considered in the same "town"?!
We live just outside of Billings, so that was helpful perspective. Based upon my "Zillow shopping" ( for what that's worth) we could still get more bang for out buck there than here in MT. Our housing prices are a little ridiculous right now!!

Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,632,142 times
You are welcome...
Yes, the 'town' legal border goes up the surrounding slopes a ways; then one becomes part of Haywood County, not the legal town of Waynesville, if that translates.

We are above the 'town line', but in the county and have a Waynesville address, etc.

In 'town' one has garbage pickup/recycling and a few other spiffs, eg snow plowing, (sooner or later). Above town, we do our own garbage run to the town dump and make arrangements for our own road plowing. Almost all of greater Waynesville is on city water...

I haven't spent a winter in MT, but have ridden m'cycle and our VetteVert through MT several times, inc the remarkable run on the Bear Tooth Pass highway. Your winters are colder, as the latitude is much further north. Our area winters range from a bit annoying to considerable highs and lows, (warmer trend over the past decade, imo), but again it is very altitude dependent, both for cooler to cold winters and warm to hot summer temps.

Around Waynesville are the towns of Maggie Valley, Canton, Clyde...all have their pluses and minuses.

Hope this helps.
GL, mD

Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
We moved from Texas almost three years ago. We love cold weather and Houston doesn't have winter. The three winters we've been here have been wonderful. Cold but not unbearable. Summer is good, not too hot and doesn't keep going forever like back in Houston.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 17,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We moved from Texas almost three years ago. We love cold weather and Houston doesn't have winter. The three winters we've been here have been wonderful. Cold but not unbearable. Summer is good, not too hot and doesn't keep going forever like back in Houston.
We’re considering a move from TX to NC. Would love to hear where you landed and why.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:05 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,882,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiegirl14 View Post
We’re considering a move from TX to NC. Would love to hear where you landed and why.
Western NC is stunningly beautiful and has IMO an extremely interesting and enjoyable climate. If I could afford to I would move there in a heartbeat.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:36 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiegirl14 View Post
We landed in Waynesville because it's close to the Parkway, Smokies and Asheville. We love it here, weather is so much better than Texas!!!!

Old 10-31-2022, 12:44 AM

31 posts, read 26,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Western NC is stunningly beautiful and has IMO an extremely interesting and enjoyable climate. If I could afford to I would move there in a heartbeat.
It is fascinating! All the variation between Asheville being the driest @ 50 inches of rain a year, to Brevard getting 75 inches of rain a year, Hendersonville @ 60 inches, Lake Toxaway @ >90 inches a year, and then the temperature variations with the elevation changes between the towns, like Highlands. Also interesting to compare how the natural vegetation and species change between the different areas.

Worth noting that Asheville is trending wetter with climate change. All of WNC is. Which is good I suppose. Better than getting drier like out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina