Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 10:27 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,977 times

Advertisements

No offense and not being hostile BUT once the Florida folks, tourists and people fleeing the flatlands arrive your right I believe Avery's luck will run out. Thanks RP for good posts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 06:13 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
No offense and not being hostile BUT once the Florida folks, tourists and people fleeing the flatlands arrive your right I believe Avery's luck will run out. Thanks RP for good posts...
People have awfully short attention spans (or low tolerance levels) and are already forgetting that we are still in early stages of an international pandemic that isn't going away any time soon.

I've started seeing an appalling lack of courtesy and flouting of social distancing at the Food Lion near Sugar Mountain, when people were originally behaving in a very careful manner at first. The store turned all aisles into one-way traffic over a week ago, and has one front door for incoming and the other front door for outgoing. The last two times I've been in there, the majority of shoppers were ignoring the signage. If you try to politely point out the signs, people will roll their eyes as if it's a stupid huge inconvenience. Yesterday, just as I was leaving, two older adults, neither wearing a mask, walked right past "WRONG WAY" signs and left through the "IN" door. One of them had literally rubbed shoulders a few minutes before as he shot past me to get into a checkout lane.

I'm going to have to get up early on shopping days and go in at 7:00 a.m. sharp to avoid these creeps. Instead of "road rage," now we're seeing "shopping rage."

Old 05-07-2020, 06:25 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
People have awfully short attention spans (or low tolerance levels) and are already forgetting that we are still in early stages of an international pandemic that isn't going away any time soon.

I've started seeing an appalling lack of courtesy and flouting of social distancing at the Food Lion near Sugar Mountain, when people were originally behaving in a very careful manner at first. The store turned all aisles into one-way traffic over a week ago, and has one front door for incoming and the other front door for outgoing. The last two times I've been in there, the majority of shoppers were ignoring the signage. If you try to politely point out the signs, people will roll their eyes as if it's a stupid huge inconvenience. Yesterday, just as I was leaving, two older adults, neither wearing a mask, walked right past "WRONG WAY" signs and left through the "IN" door. One of them had literally rubbed shoulders a few minutes before as he shot past me to get into a checkout lane.

I'm going to have to get up early on shopping days and go in at 7:00 a.m. sharp to avoid these creeps. Instead of "road rage," now we're seeing "shopping rage."
That is usually my store roadpony, but thankfully I have stocked up on foods and cooked meals in our freezer and haven't had to visit in well over 3 weeks.
I am sad to hear safety is not of prime concern for some of the patrons.
I'm afraid it will only get worse with the Friday move to Phase One of the Governor's rollout for a slow return to some form of normalcy.

As an aside, I notice Avery Co. has stepped up testing, still all results are negative, but there are several still pending.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:13 PM

Ashe Co. now has 8 cases... http://www.ashepostandtimes.com

Old 05-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Went to Food Lion near Sugar Mt. this morning around 9:30am. Most people were keeping their distances, about 1/2 were wearing masks, most were NOT obeying the one-way markings in the aisles.

I did hear an employee remind a woman she was on a one way aisle. The woman smiled sweetly and said, "I'm only going one-way."

When will the paper towel, toilet paper and wipes ever be stocked abundantly again?

I also stopped at Lowe's Home Improvement. They had an abundant supply of the big family sized Bounty paper towels. I did not get any as we are well stocked, but it appeared everyone else was grabbing a bundle.

The were sold out of face masks and the employee I talked with didn't know when another shipment would arrive.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Here in West Jefferson Dollar Tree has full shelves of PT/TP, Dollar General had plenty Wal Marts TP/PT area empty. About 50% of people wearing masks about same keeping distance. When things reopen i think alot of people will figure masks not as important too and here in mtns we'll get hoards of Florida summer residents, tourists and flatlanders looking to evade high case areas in Piedmont... and thats when it'll hit the fan up here. Best stock up as best you can plant as much as u can and be prepared for economic impact that hasn't landed yet and late summer 2nd wave.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Here in West Jefferson Dollar Tree has full shelves of PT/TP, Dollar General had plenty Wal Marts TP/PT area empty. About 50% of people wearing masks about same keeping distance. When things reopen i think alot of people will figure masks not as important too and here in mtns we'll get hoards of Florida summer residents, tourists and flatlanders looking to evade high case areas in Piedmont... and thats when it'll hit the fan up here. Best stock up as best you can plant as much as u can and be prepared for economic impact that hasn't landed yet and late summer 2nd wave.
Our little neighborhood is loaded with second homes belonging to Florida residents. The are usually here a couple of weeks by now, but not a one has showed up yet.
I think you may be right, once Phase I begins that may open the flood gates and surely by Phase II.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:23 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
We are also a couple weeks to nearly a month behind our usual migration back to our Mtn home...
Fwiw, we are NC rez for past 18+ years, and hide out at our EscapeWinterHouse in SW FL for a few months a year.

Also, fwiw, we have been diligent and very, very careful here for the past 6 or 7 weeks, and hope/expect to arrive in the Mtns CootieFree late next week.

The very few times I have been out at a store, the SD being done here is considerable; maybe it is most of our age(s) here, as none of us Geezers want Flu A, B or Covid19, or even a freaking standard corona virus head cold.

Some of the anecdotal comments here and on other soc media suggest some people are operating in western NC stores like the storm is over, and let's go do a half day trip with the wholedamnFam at Lowe's/Walmart et al.

The much lower pop and less 'Burb like situ in much of western NC has been the prophylactic imo, but as more people come out/engage/think it is 'all or mostly better', the cases in every county will trickle up. I am hoping it is a trickle and not a spike, sometime in late May and beyond.
GL, mD

Old 05-08-2020, 03:38 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Yep, even without our seasonal residents and tourists, some of our grocery stores still have slim pickins for certain items... paper products, disenfectants, fresh meats/poultry, rice, dry beans, ramen noodles () are the main ones I've noticed. It'll only get worse as the visitors start coming back in.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We are also a couple weeks to nearly a month behind our usual migration back to our Mtn home...
Fwiw, we are NC rez for past 18+ years, and hide out at our EscapeWinterHouse in SW FL for a few months a year.

Also, fwiw, we have been diligent and very, very careful here for the past 6 or 7 weeks, and hope/expect to arrive in the Mtns CootieFree late next week.

The very few times I have been out at a store, the SD being done here is considerable; maybe it is most of our age(s) here, as none of us Geezers want Flu A, B or Covid19, or even a freaking standard corona virus head cold.

Some of the anecdotal comments here and on other soc media suggest some people are operating in western NC stores like the storm is over, and let's go do a half day trip with the wholedamnFam at Lowe's/Walmart et al.

The much lower pop and less 'Burb like situ in much of western NC has been the prophylactic imo, but as more people come out/engage/think it is 'all or mostly better', the cases in every county will trickle up. I am hoping it is a trickle and not a spike, sometime in late May and beyond.
GL, mD
I heard from one of our Florida neighbors and they said they were also making their way north within the next week or two.
The biggest decision for them is trying to make the trip in one day. Normally they take at least two days driving up, but this year it will be safer for them to drive straight through.
I suggested they call the grocery here and have a pickup ready for them as they make the last half-hour surge for the top of the mt.

Have a safe trip md.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina