Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 24,546 times

Advertisements

We are looking into possibly moving into one of the three areas, Hendersonville, Boone, and Blowing Rock, other area suggestions are welcome. We homeschool our two youngest, and our two eldest are college aged. We are looking for an active homeschool community, or just an active community for our children, ages.... 16 and 13 yr old sons, 19 and 21 yr old daughters. My husband does home improvement for a living, and I'm a stay at home mum. We like to find a community that supports farmers, local businesses, gives back to the community, and so forth. We are laid back, and love meeting people and getting together.

We're also looking at Texas, but are leaning more towards North Carolina to get our 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 02:48 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew4 View Post
We are looking into possibly moving into one of the three areas, Hendersonville, Boone, and Blowing Rock, other area suggestions are welcome. We homeschool our two youngest, and our two eldest are college aged. We are looking for an active homeschool community, or just an active community for our children, ages.... 16 and 13 yr old sons, 19 and 21 yr old daughters. My husband does home improvement for a living, and I'm a stay at home mum. We like to find a community that supports farmers, local businesses, gives back to the community, and so forth. We are laid back, and love meeting people and getting together.

We're also looking at Texas, but are leaning more towards North Carolina to get our 4 seasons.
I can't speak to homeschooling, but there are three developments - Kenmure, Champion Hills, Cummings Cove (mainly 55+) in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area that typically provide a steady supply of work in the area that your husband is in. If your husband can get on some of these lists, I doubt he would have trouble in finding work in his area. Many of the homes, especially in Kenmure, are getting older, and homeowners are renovating.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Boone & Blowing Rock are really one area, not two. In this area, anyone in the building trades who does quality work, is reliable, and keeps appointments is worth his/her weight in gold.... seriously.

I don't have children, so I can't provide firsthand information on homeschooling in the Boone area, but here are two links that might be a good starting point.

High Country Christian Home Schoolers

Watauga County Schools - Home School Dual Enrollment

Quote:
community that supports farmers, local businesses, gives back to the community, and so forth
Check out High Country Food Hub

I hope some of this info might be helpful.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I can't speak to homeschooling, but there are three developments - Kenmure, Champion Hills, Cummings Cove (mainly 55+) in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area that typically provide a steady supply of work in the area that your husband is in. If your husband can get on some of these lists, I doubt he would have trouble in finding work in his area. Many of the homes, especially in Kenmure, are getting older, and homeowners are renovating.

Thank you so much! My husband had worked for various small companies, and he isn't happy. He sees that they are more interested in making money than doing a good job, and they also get paid the most while their workers get table scrapes. So, he decided to go out on his own. What do you mean by list, and how can we find it.... Thank you so much for taking the time to chime in!

Old 09-08-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Boone & Blowing Rock are really one area, not two. In this area, anyone in the building trades who does quality work, is reliable, and keeps appointments is worth his/her weight in gold.... seriously.

I don't have children, so I can't provide firsthand information on homeschooling in the Boone area, but here are two links that might be a good starting point.

High Country Christian Home Schoolers

Watauga County Schools - Home School Dual Enrollment

Check out High Country Food Hub

I hope some of this info might be helpful.

Thank you for letting me know, I assumed the two, where two areas. Are these areas good for teens and young adults.... My two eldest would probably want to get jobs since, they are doing college online this year due to the virus. I was tempted to look at Asheville, but I wasn't sure. Our eldest is going into Psychology, and this is her last year, so she needs to find her next college to continue on. Our 3rd is into culinary, and we saw many schools, and colleges who received great reviews.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew4 View Post
Thank you for letting me know, I assumed the two, where two areas. Are these areas good for teens and young adults.... My two eldest would probably want to get jobs since, they are doing college online this year due to the virus. I was tempted to look at Asheville, but I wasn't sure. Our eldest is going into Psychology, and this is her last year, so she needs to find her next college to continue on. Our 3rd is into culinary, and we saw many schools, and colleges who received great reviews.
Boone and Blowing Rock are two different towns, but they're only 8-10 miles apart & in the same county, so there a lot of crossover. Each has very different personality. Blowing Rock is much smaller (especially considering year-round residents) and is primarily focused on tourism and high-end seasonal residents. Boone is a college town.

The Town of Boone has a huge population of young folks due to Appalachian State University (20,000 students)

My stepdaughter was a Psychology undergrad (UNC Charlotte) and got her masters in Counseling at App State. It's an excellent regional state university. She was an elementary school guidance counselor for quite a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina