Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 02:27 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Whoa! That’s perfect! Do you know anything about Clinton?
Yeah....no. It's nothing like WNC and is in SE NC outside of Fayetteville. Sampson County is a very conservative area with not a whole lot going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 04:31 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yeah....no. It's nothing like WNC and is in SE NC outside of Fayetteville. Sampson County is a very conservative area with not a whole lot going on.
Yes after spending most of the day researching the area it seems like there’s absolutely nothing going on for miles and miles.

Why can’t there be homes like this in WNC

Old 08-05-2021, 04:32 PM

339 posts, read 318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Whoa! That’s perfect! Do you know anything about Clinton?
Honestly I don't know much about it, only been through there a few times while living here my whole life in NC .
It really looks like a nice house though, especially @ that price range and you may could get away with your B&B ideas there, dunno for sure.
You can ask over at this forum and they may could tell you more.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...pel-hill-cary/

Old 08-05-2021, 06:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
^ Low Country, 120 ft elevation...FL Hot from April to October, and as noted nothing going on in area, in our once through the 'town'...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clin...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 08-07-2021, 08:16 PM

32 posts, read 35,866 times
too expensive! I need something at $2K or less…

QUOTE=Serious Conversation;61527526]One of thing to keep in mind is that much of Madison County is populated with longtime locals. Many of these folks find areas closer to Asheville to be too crowded, and they feel that out of area money is running up real estate prices, pricing many locals out of the area.

My girlfriend lives between Weaverville (Buncombe County) and Marshall (Madison County), but is actually closer to the big box shopping along I-26 in Weaverville.

Once you leave Weaverville going north into Madison County on Highway 25, it becomes very rural, very quickly. If you Google a map of Madison County, there is a rough triangle between Marshall/Highway 25, Mars Hill/I26, and Highway 213 where most of the development will be. Prices are lower in Madison County, but much of the county is extremely isolated, and there's no good way to get around. We went from her house near Marshall to a community called Spring Creek for a cemetery decoration last Sunday - it took a bit over an hour on winding mountain roads, and we didn't leave the county. Spring Creek back to Asheville was about another hour in itself.

Wolf Laurel resort, in the northeast part of the county, and Hot Springs, have some tourist draw where this idea might work. The rest of the county is just too rural, thinly populated, and inaccessible - keep in mind there are not even 25,000 people in the entire county.

Cashiers/Highlands is even more isolated.[/quote]

Old 08-09-2021, 11:17 PM

146 posts, read 139,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, not at all and I'm sure that house is gonna fall down any minute. It obviously used to be a beautiful house 100 years ago, but I would not put money in to that.

Go for the first one near Staunton with the two stone turrets on the front. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...07841306_zpid/

Here's some info on the Harry Potter Festival Staunton has:
https://visitstaunton.com/queen-city...f-and-magic-2/

Staunton is a super cute little town and you would definitely have people lined up for your place then.

Queen Annes/Victorians are not very common in the mountains. Lots of farmhouses, but I know that's not the vibe you're going for. If you find one in good shape for not too much $$ you might be able to add a tower room on?
Staunton also has the Blackfriar Playhouse, the world’s only re-creation of Shakespeare’s indoor theater. People come from all over to attend a show and need lodging.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
Staunton also has the Blackfriar Playhouse, the world’s only re-creation of Shakespeare’s indoor theater. People come from all over to attend a show and need lodging.
Yup. I think it would be a great fit for what the OP is looking for. I don't think you are going to find it in WNC.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:06 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Yup. I think it would be a great fit for what the OP is looking for. I don't think you are going to find it in WNC.
That end of VA is also much more economical than WNC. It's close to the mountains, the BRP, and reasonably close to bigger cities. The Shenandoah area is way overlooked IMO.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:31 PM

339 posts, read 318,466 times
[quote=poppydog;61532476]No, not at all and I'm sure that house is gonna fall down any minute. It obviously used to be a beautiful house 100 years ago, but I would not put money in to that.

Go for the first one near Staunton with the two stone turrets on the front. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...07841306_zpid/

that's a gorgeous place....surprised it's still on the market after 100+ days.
That area is really beautiful, overall.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
[quote=lastdash;61650560]
Quote:
No, not at all and I'm sure that house is gonna fall down any minute. It obviously used to be a beautiful house 100 years ago, but I would not put money in to that.

that's a gorgeous place....surprised it's still on the market after 100+ days.
That area is really beautiful, overall.
How do the taxes and amount of snow compare to WNC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina