Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 10:52 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They're largely catering to different clienteles.

I like and appreciate both. My girlfriend is basically equidistant between Weaverville and Marshall. I can be in north Asheville/Woodfin in 15-20 minutes and downtown in 20-30, depending on traffic.

Personally, I find that most of the housing stick around Greenville to be newer, cheaper, and more modern. The shopping is largely better in Greenville (Costco, a bit more variety and upscale stores). The dining scene is a toss-up. IMO, Asheville has a better nightlife and summer climate. Greenville has a better winter climate.

Greenville is conservative, but it's far more open-minded than where I live in east TN. There's more going on there. Asheville city is very liberal.

It really depends on what you are looking for.
Newer housing, I will agree with. Modern, I disagree. The housing in Greenville is generally very traditional. Asheville has quite a few mountain modern homes. We like some snow in the winter. So, yes, winters are milder, but with a good bit less snow. Yes, it all boils down to preference. As I noted earlier, I like Greenville’s downtown, but other than that, it could be anywhere. It’s spread out and the west side is pretty seedy. It’s really hard to compare them. Asheville and the smaller towns near it are mountain.towns with a unique flavor. Other than Greenville’s downtown, which I like, I don’t find anything unique about it. Regardng food, I have seen national lists with Asheville ranked highly; I have not seen Greenville on any such lists. If you are into chain restaurants, Greenville has more. If you like quirky, unique restaurants with good, interesting food, Asheville wins hands down.

Last edited by Lizap; 05-15-2022 at 11:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2022, 12:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
LMAO!!!! Whoa now, just wait a minnit here.... You said you were refused service, did you not?

So which is it... Were you refused service, or did they take your order??

Lol like I said, I'll take things that didn't happen for $500 Alex lol.

Obvious what was going on... Yet at no point in this horrific, tramatauzing ordeal in the evil conservative city did anybody say "We refuse to serve you because you have a mask on."

Isn't that right.
In November 2021 wearing masks we walked into the Blaze pizza on N. Main Street in Greenville, SC and attempted to place an order for pizzas to go. The server who was at the cash register, a woman I'd estimate in her 30s, pretended not to be able to hear us and we were refused service by her. Another woman (in her early 20s/late teens) jumped in after a few minutes of the first woman pretending not to hear us (we were practically yelling at this point and everyone else in the restaurant could hear us just fine) and said she would be happy to help us. The first woman again refused to serve us and walked off in a huff saying, "well I couldn't hear them". Now it's possible that she was hard of hearing, but she wasn't elderly and if she was hard of hearing she was not communicating that in any way to us and no one else in the place had a problem understanding us.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:31 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
In November 2021 wearing masks we walked into the Blaze pizza on N. Main Street in Greenville, SC and attempted to place an order for pizzas to go. The server who was at the cash register, a woman I'd estimate in her 30s, pretended not to be able to hear us and we were refused service by her. Another woman (in her early 20s/late teens) jumped in after a few minutes of the first woman pretending not to hear us (we were practically yelling at this point and everyone else in the restaurant could hear us just fine) and said she would be happy to help us. The first woman again refused to serve us and walked off in a huff saying, "well I couldn't hear them". Now it's possible that she was hard of hearing, but she wasn't elderly and if she was hard of hearing she was not communicating that in any way to us and no one else in the place had a problem understanding us.
"and said she would be happy to help us"

/Discussion

You weren't refused service drama queen.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:40 PM

One of the servers at Brixx in Greenville SC refused to serve us because we were wearing masks. The OP didn't like Greenville either and preferred Asheville. I feel the same way.

I wanted to like Greenville going in, but found it unwelcoming and too conservative. If folks on CD are looking for a conservative place I often recommend Greenville SC.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
One of the servers at Brixx in Greenville SC refused to serve us because we were wearing masks. The OP didn't like Greenville either and preferred Asheville. I feel the same way.

I wanted to like Greenville going in, but found it unwelcoming and too conservative. If folks on CD are looking for a conservative place I often recommend Greenville SC.
Bull****.

You think that for some bizarre reason, but we've established already that at no point did anybody actually SAY they refused to serve you because of your face diaper.

Hate Greenville all you want, I don't care.. But when you have to make up reasons to hate it, then that says more about you than it does the city itself.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:37 PM

Compare and contrast....

Quote:
It definitely did happen. It was the Blaze pizza in downtown. Thirty-something server pretended like she couldn’t hear us although other people could hear us just fine. A younger server took our order. First one was really pissy and rude. It was very obvious what was going on. A man who was working (got the vibe he was the manager) tried to make it up probably in hopes we wouldn’t write a bad review.
First denied service at BLAZE Pizza downtown. But then... through some mysterious chain of events....

Quote:

Denied service at BRIXX Pizza.. of which there is only one. On Woodruff Rd. Which is not downtown lol.

https://brixxpizza.com/locations/greenville/

Old 05-19-2022, 07:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
I lived in Greenville for 4 + years and Asheville for 5 + years. One major difference between Greenville and Asheville is that they have a totally different vibe. Visit both and you will know what I am talking about. Greenville is very religious and mostly conservative. It's not unusual when you first meet someone they ask you what church do you attend. Asheville is the opposite and liberal. I find the people are friendlier in Asheville and WNC in general. This is just my opinion. Greenville does have a very nice downtown. I think Asheville tops for restaurants. It all boils down to what you like.

As for schools, there are good schools around. You have to do your research. Asheville City Schools are highly rated. There are some very good charter schools and private schools as well. My granddaughter attends Francine Delany Elementary in West Asheville and it is an amazing school.

For the OP, WNC is going to be much more like Denver. As I originally posted, I felt it was more that you were looking for. I live in West Asheville so I am partial to it It's walkable with restaurants, bars, cafe's, breweries, shops and more. We have the Rivers Arts district along with the brand new trail they built along the river. There's Carrier Park too that the kids love. The crowd is somewhat younger as well.

Last edited by beckycat; 05-19-2022 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-21-2022, 07:42 AM

@Upstate67, it was the Blaze. I got was confused on the name because they are both pizza joints that start with B, but it was definitely the Blaze downtown in Greenville. I would go back and edit to correct it, but can't now.

Greenville is much more conservative than Asheville and was much more of a mask-free zone when I was there in November. I like masks and don't see why it's a problem for me to wear one. Not hurting anybody else. Asheville had many more people wearing masks when I was last there in Feb.

At any rate, the OP has already said that they did not like Greenville. I don't either and did not have a good experience there despite being excited to visit and going in with an open mind.

I'd much rather live in Asheville and I think it sounds like that is what the OP decided too.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
@Upstate67, it was the Blaze. I got was confused on the name because they are both pizza joints that start with B, but it was definitely the Blaze downtown in Greenville. I would go back and edit to correct it, but can't now.

Greenville is much more conservative than Asheville and was much more of a mask-free zone when I was there in November. I like masks and don't see why it's a problem for me to wear one. Not hurting anybody else. Asheville had many more people wearing masks when I was last there in Feb.

At any rate, the OP has already said that they did not like Greenville. I don't either and did not have a good experience there despite being excited to visit and going in with an open mind.

I'd much rather live in Asheville and I think it sounds like that is what the OP decided too.
And that is why this "pandemic" will never end. Because people like you who somehow LIKE (?) wearing masks simply don't want it to ever end. The mask, and visiting places where there aren't many of them give you a feeling of superiority and an excuse to virtue signal that you might not have had before. Plus a chance to play the victim of anti-mask bigotry in the evil right wing conservative city when you IMAGINE being denied service because of it... Isn't that right.

Last edited by Upstate67; 05-22-2022 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 05:11 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Newer housing, I will agree with. Modern, I disagree. The housing in Greenville is generally very traditional. Asheville has quite a few mountain modern homes. We like some snow in the winter. So, yes, winters are milder, but with a good bit less snow. Yes, it all boils down to preference. As I noted earlier, I like Greenville’s downtown, but other than that, it could be anywhere. It’s spread out and the west side is pretty seedy. It’s really hard to compare them. Asheville and the smaller towns near it are mountain.towns with a unique flavor. Other than Greenville’s downtown, which I like, I don’t find anything unique about it. Regardng food, I have seen national lists with Asheville ranked highly; I have not seen Greenville on any such lists. If you are into chain restaurants, Greenville has more. If you like quirky, unique restaurants with good, interesting food, Asheville wins hands down.
There isn’t anything in Asheville like the Trappe Door (a Belgian place in downtown GVL.) Thirsty Monk serves the Belgian beer and some minor food, but not the full menu. Carolina Ale House is just bar food, but they have a hell of a spread in downtown Greeneville on the rooftop that is hard to beat. I can’t think of anything similar in downtown Asheville. I can’t think of anything similar to The Lazy Goat.

Likewise, I can’t think of anything similar to Curate in Greenville. Black Bird and Sony’s are semi-comparable. Reed’s is kind of diner style in GVL but exceptional. I think AVL has an edge on Indian and French with Bouchon.

Like I said, I think the dining is a coin flip downtown - maybe a slight edge to GVL because it is just bigger with more going on. Outside of downtown, GVL dining options drop off sharply, where AVL really does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina