Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 9,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Be very aware of neighborhoods that allow AirBnB. It has become a serious problem. When I lived in Montford, every house on my street had one in their basement. I was planning on building a house in the Cheshire community in Black mountain, which is very upscale. I decided against it because my neighbors had a AirBnB above their garage.
One of the main reasons my brother is moving. It's almost a daily thing, never know who's parking right next door. I'll check out Weaverville and maybe Black Mountain...with these valuations I'm leery of what people are trying to get out of. Are you finding South Asheville is any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 05:00 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpag View Post
One of the main reasons my brother is moving. It's almost a daily thing, never know who's parking right next door. I'll check out Weaverville and maybe Black Mountain...with these valuations I'm leery of what people are trying to get out of. Are you finding South Asheville is any better?
Parts of South Asheville, near Biltmore Forest, are very nice. Also, there are some nice developments south and southwest of Hendersonville. Most of these developments have strong HOAs and do not allow this sort of thing. In addition, Laurel Park, near Hendersonville, is a nice residential area.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:08 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,291,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpag View Post
I don’t like south Asheville. I live next to Biltmore Forest and The Ramble community. The area is very congested on Hendersonville road. It’s not as peaceful and beautiful as North Asheville or Weaverville. It’s also more politically conservative.

I live in a community with an HOA that only allows 10% rentals, and they must be for at least one year, so AirBnB not allowed. I bought in this community because I refused to get in a bidding war and pay $100,000 over asking. The prices in North Asheville were insane. I worked all my life and saved my money, and even though I could afford it, I will not throw my money away on an overpriced house.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I don’t like south Asheville. I live next to Biltmore Forest and The Ramble community. The area is very congested on Hendersonville road. It’s not as peaceful and beautiful as North Asheville or Weaverville. It’s also more politically conservative.

I live in a community with an HOA that only allows 10% rentals, and they must be for at least one year, so AirBnB not allowed. I bought in this community because I refused to get in a bidding war and pay $100,000 over asking. The prices in North Asheville were insane. I worked all my life and saved my money, and even though I could afford it, I will not throw my money away on an overpriced house.
When we were looking to buy, we looked extensively in north Asheville. Did not like it as well as south Asheville around Biltmore Forest. South Asheville is congested at times, BUT a good amount of the nice retail and a lot of good restaurants are located in this area. Even alot of healthcare is south of Asheville. Political leanings for us was not a consideration. Just goes to show we are all different..

Old 06-28-2022, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 9,363 times
Quote:

My wife and I are middle of the road politically, white/asian couple. We look for what most people do: community, safety, family values, proximity to a few amenities/conveniences, clean well cared-for surroundings, nature. We don't make waves wherever we go, and have a live/let live attitude so long as behavior does not harm others or society. A community that takes care of itself and has respect for others/neighbors.

I'm headed up on Wednesday to check out a few of the neighborhoods, I'll be up there for about 2 days...best way is to visit !

Old 06-28-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
When we were looking to buy, we looked extensively in north Asheville. Did not like it as well as south Asheville around Biltmore Forest. South Asheville is congested at times, BUT a good amount of the nice retail and a lot of good restaurants are located in this area. Even alot of healthcare is south of Asheville. Political leanings for us was not a consideration. Just goes to show we are all different..
I haven’t found any nice retail stores or good restaurants in South Asheville. Mainly grocery stores, pharmacies and high calorie southern cuisine like Biscuit Head and Tupelo Honey.

Political leanings are very important to me, especially now.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I haven’t found any nice retail stores or good restaurants in South Asheville. Mainly grocery stores, pharmacies and high calorie southern cuisine like Biscuit Head and Tupelo Honey.

Political leanings are very important to me, especially now.
We must talking about a different south Asheville. The number of good restaurants and retail stores here are way too numerous to list.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
We must talking about a different south Asheville. The number of good restaurants and retail stores here are way too numerous to list.
I live in South Asheville, you don’t. If you mean Vinnies South, it wasn’t worth a second visit, Main 131 is Ok, it depends what you consider good food. I usually eat at a local Thai restaurant, other than that, northing worthwhile.

I can’t name one good retail shop except for Linden Consignment.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I live in South Asheville, you don’t. If you mean Vinnies South, it wasn’t worth a second visit, Main 131 is Ok, it depends what you consider good food. I usually eat at a local Thai restaurant, other than that, northing worthwhile.

I can’t name one good retail shop except for Linden Consignment.
Doesn’t matter whether we live there or not. We eat out and shop there alot. The number of good restaurants and retail is too numerous to list, but I’ll name a few for you to try:

Restaurants:

Apollo Flame Bistro
PF Changs
Wild Ginger
Cinnamon Kitchen
Stonebowl Korean
We like Vinnie’s

Retail:

Orvis
Barnes & Noble
Loft
REI
Outlet stores, including Dillards, West Elm, Crate & Barrel, Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams, and many more

Specialty Grocery and Wine:

Whole Foods
Table Wine

Last edited by Lizap; 06-28-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-28-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Doesn’t matter whether we live there or not. We eat out and shop there alot. The number of good restaurants and retail is too numerous to list, but I’ll name a few for you to try:

Restaurants:

Apollo Flame Bistro
PF Changs
Wild Ginger
Cinnamon Kitchen
Stonebowl Korean
We like Vinnie’s

Retail:

Orvis
Barnes & Noble
Loft
REI
Outlet stores, including Dillards, West Elm, Crate & Barrel, Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams, and many more

Specialty Grocery and Wine:

Whole Foods
Table Wine
We have very different taste in food, and those stores in Biltmore Park Town Square are specialty stores. The Asheville outlets are not in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina