Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 02:32 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Asheville is named in the top 10% most dangerous cities. You refuse to believe it for some reason.
https://247wallst.com/city/why-ashev...gerous-cities/

https://wlos.com/amp/news/local/stud...ies-in-america
CBS news doesn’t even have Asheville ranked in the top 50.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the...es-in-america/

Likewise, Asheville is no where to be found in Alarm.org’s rankings.

https://www.alarms.org/top-100-most-...es-in-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
It's interesting to watch people deny, deny, deny despite literally EVERY statistic opposing their view. Because they themselves have not been a victim of a rape, murder or robbery they insist all is fine. Every city has crime, right? Asheville is worse than 96% of ALL cities in America in terms of crime rate per 100k people. That's horrific and the demographic for murders is probably similar to every city to be quite frank, but violent crime is violent crime and looking at one specific crime does not give the full picture.
See links to statistics in post 41. I can cite many more, if necessary… There is no denial. Asheville definitely has some crime, as do all cities. But one of the most dangerous in America - not! Again, we just have to agree to disagree and that’s ok.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:50 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Just Google, “Asheville most dangerous city” there are too many articles to link. You can disagree, but anyone who is considering moving here, will want to research the crime rate.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
CBS news doesn’t even have Asheville ranked in the top 50.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the...es-in-america/

Likewise, Asheville is no where to be found in Alarm.org’s rankings.

https://www.alarms.org/top-100-most-...es-in-america/
The first article you linked was from 2019. It ranked the 50 most dangerous cities, Asheville is in the top 10%, which is why it’s not on that list. The second article is the 100 most dangerous cities, again not the top 10%.
https://wlos.com/news/local/study-ra...ies-in-america

Last edited by organic_donna; 06-24-2022 at 05:02 PM..

Old 06-25-2022, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 9,305 times
My brother has lived in west Asheville since 2015 not too far off haywood somewhat near patton. "Nice" neighborhood, homes are expensive 500s-700s. I work remotely and spend a fair amount of time in Asheville at his place, here's my takeaway (we are in our mid 30s with young families): Take away what you want from it...

- Use to go grab dim sum, and eat out and walk downtown (the usual spots)...we are going less and less, and pretty much avoid certain areas we use to love going to.
- Thought traffic couldn't get any crazier on I-26, but it has. The construction and expansion is ongoing.
- Brother's car has been broken into twice in the last 6 months.
- Several homes have turned over and changed hands with alarming frequency in the last year or two.
- Neighbors on both sides, constant new AirBnB visitors...it's become a nuisance.
- Homelessness was always a problem, but has started really creeping into his neighborhood. Literally creeping..
- Family Pregnancy Service building nearby was recently vandalized/smashed
- Brother was recently accosted by an angry random person walking in his neighborhood, and it's now a fairly normal occurrence to deal with random mentally ill/homeless/drug fueled rants walking past the house.

I thought about moving to the area years ago, but more recently we are looking elsewhere for a laundry list of reasons. My brother is also planning to move out of the area. Sorry to be fairly clinical, just want to avoid any politicizing or opinions.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpag View Post
My brother has lived in west Asheville since 2015 not too far off haywood somewhat near patton. "Nice" neighborhood, homes are expensive 500s-700s. I work remotely and spend a fair amount of time in Asheville at his place, here's my takeaway (we are in our mid 30s with young families): Take away what you want from it...

- Use to go grab dim sum, and eat out and walk downtown (the usual spots)...we are going less and less, and pretty much avoid certain areas we use to love going to.
- Thought traffic couldn't get any crazier on I-26, but it has. The construction and expansion is ongoing.
- Several homes have turned over and changed hands with alarming frequency in the last year or two.
- Neighbors on both sides, constant new AirBnB visitors...it's become a nuisance.
- Homelessness was always a problem, but has started really creeping into his neighborhood. Literally creeping..
- Brother was recently accosted by an angry random person walking in his neighborhood, and it's now a fairly normal occurrence to deal with random mentally ill/homeless/drug fueled rants walking past the house.

I thought about moving to the area years ago, but more recently we are looking elsewhere for a laundry list of reasons. My brother is also planning to move out of the area. Sorry to be fairly clinical, just want to avoid any politicizing or opinions.
You should take a look at other towns in the area, such as Brevard, Black Mountain, Waynesville, Weaverville, Hendersonville.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:03 AM

11 posts, read 9,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You should take a look at other towns in the area, such as Brevard, Black Mountain, Waynesville, Weaverville, Hendersonville.
I appreciate the suggestions - I'll take a look next time I'm up there. Black mountain and Weaverville sound appealing with some proximity to Asheville. Can you comment on Fletcher and Mars Hill? I don't hear either mentioned too often and have not had a chance to spend any time out that way.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions - I'll take a look next time I'm up there. Black mountain and Weaverville sound appealing with some proximity to Asheville. Can you comment on Fletcher and Mars Hill? I don't hear either mentioned too often and have not had a chance to spend any time out that way.
Located south of Asheville, Fletcher has become an extension of Asheville. North of Asheville, Mars Hill is a cute little college town.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Fletcher is very conservative, it would not be my choice.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Be very aware of neighborhoods that allow AirBnB. It has become a serious problem. When I lived in Montford, every house on my street had one in their basement. I was planning on building a house in the Cheshire community in Black mountain, which is very upscale. I decided against it because my neighbors had a AirBnB above their garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina