Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 07:07 AM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Liza’s,
People that ask questions about Asheville need to know both the good and the bad. You constantly defend Asheville, even though you don’t live here. You aren’t the only one, many times I don’t comment because I will be told, “if you don’t like it here than leave”. I have lived in Biltmore Park Town Square, Biltmore Lake, Montford, Beaverdam in North Asheville and currently South Asheville. I want to tell people both the good and bad of living here. The downtown has high crime, and a large homeless and drug problem. That’s a fact, not my opinion.
Donna
You are correct. You have more first-hand experience than I do as you have lived in Asheville , but since we live near there and visit frequently (retail, doctors, etc) I also have a valid perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Based on the numbers in various studies and articles on crime in Asheville, it's doesn't look very good.

BUT, despite the limited breakdown of information, you can occasionally find that most people, unless they fit in a very narrow band of demographics, have very little to worry about while visiting or living in Asheville.

Statistically data lags behind the calendar date substantially, but I did find this:

"In 2020, APD reported:

45 people were shot
57 were stabbed
652 made emergency calls for shootings
Of the 45 people shot, 39 were men and 37 of those were African-American men. Of those shot, 46% were between the ages of 16-25.
"
Interesting. So it appears the shootings are affecting a specific demographic.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,300,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You are correct. You have more first-hand experience than I do as you have lived in Asheville , but since we live near there and visit frequently (retail, doctors, etc) I also have a valid perspective.
Yes you do, but you only give the good points, not the crime rate in the city.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:27 AM

This happened in Kenilworth, which is a neighborhood near Mission hospital. The man who kidnapped the woman lives in this neighborhood. The houses are very expensive, so it’s not in the projects.
https://wlos.com/news/local/ashevill...amar-henderson

Old 06-24-2022, 07:29 AM

This happened in the parking lot of Trader Joe’s near UNCA. It was tragic. She was a local realtor and went out to buy cat food.
https://wlos.com/news/local/man-plea...stabbing-death

Old 06-24-2022, 07:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 6,072,325 times
Quote:
Interesting. So it appears the shootings are affecting a specific demographic.
It certainly looks that way.
I can't help but wonder if the statistics were available for other categories of crime how it would look.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes you do, but you only give the good points, not the crime rate in the city.
Not true. I have said Asheville does have some crime.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
This happened in Kenilworth, which is a neighborhood near Mission hospital. The man who kidnapped the woman lives in this neighborhood. The houses are very expensive, so it’s not in the projects.
https://wlos.com/news/local/ashevill...amar-henderson
This proves nothing. You can go to any city of size, and even small ones, and find examples of crime.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
This proves nothing. You can go to any city of size, and even small ones, and find examples of crime.
Asheville is named in the top 10% most dangerous cities. You refuse to believe it for some reason.
https://247wallst.com/city/why-ashev...gerous-cities/

https://wlos.com/amp/news/local/stud...ies-in-america

Old 06-24-2022, 12:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,469,367 times
It's interesting to watch people deny, deny, deny despite literally EVERY statistic opposing their view. Because they themselves have not been a victim of a rape, murder or robbery they insist all is fine. Every city has crime, right? Asheville is worse than 96% of ALL cities in America in terms of crime rate per 100k people. That's horrific and the demographic for murders is probably similar to every city to be quite frank, but violent crime is violent crime and looking at one specific crime does not give the full picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina