Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:17 PM

48 posts, read 297,045 times

Advertisements

Is Asheville as bad as "sperlings best places" says? It says they have a 7 out 0f 10 for crime rate and that's high! Also do they have a bad enviroment like water,land, pollution,air? If it is where is a place like what I thought Ashville was like before I found this out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Are there any cities like Ashville but lower crime and better enviroment?

Old 01-14-2007, 01:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaMink25 View Post
Are there any cities like Ashville but lower crime and better enviroment?
Not in NC I'm afraid. Asheville is a one of a kind place Why not try some of Asheville's outerlying areas like Mars Hill or Weaverville?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Is Asheville as bad as "sperlings best places" says? It says they have a 7 out 0f 10 for crime rate and that's high!
Unless they provide a verifiable source of their crime rate documentation, it doesn't mean much if anything.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:15 PM

62 posts, read 215,749 times
I have traveled through out most of the US. There is nothing quite like Asheville, especially in the east. I don't believe the crime rate could be any higher than most small cities in the country.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Is Asheville as bad as "sperlings best places" says? It says they have a 7 out 0f 10 for crime rate and that's high! Also do they have a bad enviroment like water,land, pollution,air? If it is where is a place like what I thought Ashville was like before I found this out!
Hey, this sounds like a great way to take care over overgrowth in Asheville. Everyone can just play up the crime!

Er... YES! There are firefights on the streets every day... RPGs, bazookas, rockets! It's like Fallujah at the Biltmore.

Just kidding, of course. :-) Asheville is a wonderful city and a great place to live for lots of people, but if you're thinking about living there, you should definitely _visit_ first. Asheville is not for everyone, and I mean that in a good way. It's a very funky, diverse, cultured city, and has the relatively high cost-of-living that goes along with that. Never heard any problems with crime, and I've felt safe being out walking in downtown even into the late night, but I sure haven't been to every 'pocket' of the city.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 AM

Ok thanks everyone. Does anyone else have anything to say I need the most info I can get. What about Boone,NC? I'm also thinking about Boone.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 AM

Also Black Mountain. What are Boone and Black Mountain like?

Last edited by MinkaMink25; 01-15-2007 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: mistake of writing

Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 AM

29 posts, read 255,584 times
I moved to Asheville not long ago from a smaller town in southern Georgia, and I havn't noticed any problems with crime... there is a large homeless population for the size, but most seem nice, not like the ones in Atlanta who will try and corner you up down in the MARTA... here they ask you for money, but are pretty nice when you say no (at least my experience)... I walk around downtown at night and never feel scared or anything... Asheville is a great place to live... I live in Arden which is south, but still Buncombe County... feel totally safe down there.... I kept hearing about the "ghetto" of Asheville, and when I finally went through it, I was like "this is it?" haha.. it was not very threatening... I guess it's all what you're used to...

I don't know much about Boone or Black Mountain, other than Boone is known for skiing and Black Mountain is known for antiques... probably both good places to live, but a long-time local could tell you more about them...

Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 15,207 times
Default Black Mountain

Quote:
Also Black Mountain. What are Boone and Black Mountain like?
I live in Black Mountain, but I am moving to Asheville in a month. BLack Mountain is nice, I manage a restaurant there. As for crime there are the occassional vandals and once in a while some one breaks into a home (usually a home that is secondary and not a primary residence). There is crime everywhere, but in WNC people tend know one another and are more sympathetic to the woes of "man", meaning if you lost your job in DC most people automatically brush you off (I lived there and it was a real wasteland). I would prefer WNC over almost any area in the country. If you are scared of people coming to your home then buy a dog or two...best security system ever. Be Well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina