Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 47,258 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,my wife and 2 boys will be relocating too n.c withen a few months and spending alot of time trying to find the best small town for my kids and us to move.... really want a small town with the best view of the mountains as possible in the western parts of nc..please help us....thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:24 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,946 times
Default Moving from Indiana

Hi Folks, It would probably help us give you better information if you could tell us what you do for a living. Everyone it seems wants to move to these beautiful mountains, but high paying jobs are hard to come by. The mountains vary a great deal from about 2500ft to over 5000ft. Is there anything special besides the views that you are looking for. For instance, are the kids in school and what age, do you want to be near a college town, and how small a town are you talking about? Be more specific and I think we could give you tons of information. By the way, I have family in Indiana and they always got car sick when they came down here.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

We have 2 boys 11 and 7. My wife is an RN. I have just started a lawn company and think it will be more profitable in a warmer climate. We would like a small community, but within 30 mins to a larger town. I am also curious if the taxes are considered high compared to Tennessee?

Last edited by moving from indiana; 08-06-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Add more information

Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 PM

606 posts, read 1,979,465 times
I think you should move to Boone! The hospital is good and growing, lots of medical opportunities in the area, the grass grows about 6 months of the year, schools are good, we're big enough to have big town amenities with a small town feel, great views and scenery, and the taxes are lower than Tennessee . . . but we do have a state income tax.

Oh. You said "warm climate" and "lawn company." Did I mention that the grass in Boone grows only 6 months per year? Climate wise, 3500' elevation is about the same as Indiana, but cooler in the summer. Grass starts growing in late April or early May and usually gets the last cut for neatness in early October. The first killing frost is usually around the end of October.

To get a dramatic climate change you need to stay below 2500' in elevation. I will say though, that the lawn care guys around here have plenty of work to keep them busy all summer, and keep busy during the winter doing snow removal (when we have any!) and splitting and delivering firewood. Last year, firewood was about $225/cord. I have a pile of logs to cut now that will probably yield about 1 1/2 cords, but I anticipate burning at least 4 cords this winter . . . leaky old farmhouse, wood heat only. I'm going to buy a cord or two this month and I'm not looking forward to it! Beats filling the oil tank for $700 (or more!).

If we ever get around to having snow again (historical avg. is 36"), snow removal pays nearly as well as lawn care! Personally, I think that the snow could return any time/year, global warming or not. And just think of this . . . Avg. summer temp in Boone is 70! A lot nicer than cutting grass in the 90's!!

Best wishes in your decision!
Tracey

Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,946 times
Default Indiana

Hi again folks, since I live in the higher mountains in Boone, Blowing Rock area, I can tell you that the landscapers do great in the warmer seasons, but in the winter it can get much harder to stay busy. We have friends that sell wood or if they are lucky enough to have equipment to remove snow, they do better. I think you would be better off around or near Asheville. Asheville has wonderful hospitals including the Veteran's Administration that has grown a lot in the last couple of years, and more hospitals closer to downtown and all are considered very good. Others from this area could give you better advice about your lawn service, but I would think that would be good in the general area. As far as Tennessee taxes, I think that Tenn. is lower, but someone else will have to answer that. Good Luck, Guys

Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,653 times
We live in Black Mountain, a few miles out of Asheville. We moved here 20 years ago from New York. Black Mountain has great schools, the town itself is old and quaint like "Main Street" used to be. Asheville has Memorial Mission/ St. Joseph's Hospital. One of the top hospitals in the country.
The mountains are beautiful, people are friendly.
I could go on and on but I think you all should check it out. We have lived in a few places in Western North Carolina but once we found Black Mountain we knew we were here to stay

Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM

thanks alot everyone for your feed-back,we will check out the area's you told us about, never really looked into black mountain but will now. i have 1 more question.. its really about the ''taxes''.. i am looking in at a home in the county that shows that the county taxes our around 400.00..if you live in the county you dont need to pay any city taxes???what other taxes do you pay for???????...property ect? and you advice us to try and find a place in the county if we can??????? thx everyone again....your feedback helps...

Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM

22 posts, read 65,202 times
Hickory, NC is an excellent place to relocate to! With Hickory's low cost of living, there is a good chance that your dollar goes further in Hickory than you are used to! Hickory is considered the "foothills" of NC - not even half an hour from the mountain views - and again, not only an hour from Charlotte, NC.

We recommend researching the Hickory area to choose which part of Hickory you would like to live in. There are many types of homes in the Hickory area, and a wide variety of homes for your budget. When you are looking for an affordable new construction starter home in a new neighborhood, or an elegant estate in the most prestigious part of town, Hickory has it all!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-21-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: solicitation

Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Default regards too hickory

me and my wife both looked into hickory n.c, but really want the mountain view's out our back door, ''with this kind of a move from indiana''. pretty much my wife can relocate any place she wants being a nurse,, but knowing that it is possible that i could have something good lined up in hickory very well could get us too look more into relocating to that area..if possible, please let me know a little more about the lawn care part of it... i already have all the fancy stuff the other guy's have, mowers ect.............. 1 big reason why we are doing this is because i know if i sign all the contracts i have set up in december we might not ever move out of indiana...thx alot.. we really love that people take time out too help people relocate easier......thx alot..

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving from indiana View Post
me and my wife both looked into hickory n.c, but really want the mountain view's out our back door, ''with this kind of a move from indiana''. pretty much my wife can relocate any place she wants being a nurse,, but knowing that it is possible that i could have something good lined up in hickory very well could get us too look more into relocating to that area..if possible, please let me know a little more about the lawn care part of it... i already have all the fancy stuff the other guy's have, mowers ect.............. 1 big reason why we are doing this is because i know if i sign all the contracts i have set up in december we might not ever move out of indiana...thx alot.. we really love that people take time out too help people relocate easier......thx alot..
Give Waynesville and Maggie Valley a look - mountains all around there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina