Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 PM

366 posts, read 1,017,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe48 View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. if you think the 1-2 acre lots on RM and Cliffs have homes or your stereotypical 'mchomes'; you clearly have not been to either development. Rather you choose to make assumptions rather than explore the area; analyze the LONG term plans for both communities (including the green spaces, planting programs and contributions to neighboring areas) and actually talk to people who live there. Guess it's easier to lump it all together and stereotype.
Reynolds Mountain is a such a McMansion joke, not just a stereotype. The last thing i want to see when i look out my window or am driving down Merrimon Ave is RM. It's an eyesore, and they didn't have to clear cut so much of it. Do we really want to look like southern California?It's also going to be one of the first places to wash away if we ever see anything like Frances or Ivan again. And the "Preserve" at RM is just a bunch of million dollar town homes with a view of pretty much nothing...just a bunch of brush. Yes I have been up to RM and looked at their plans. I'm not saying no one should be able to build their dream home or that those people haven't earned their money. I do completely agree though with a previous post regarding people who move here(and the developers who facilitate this) only to try and change it with complete disregard for the existing people and culture. As previously said, if you don't like asheville the way it is then why did you move here? I've been here about 8 years now...spent my college years here and decided to stay, so I'm not a native, but I can see their point of view. For the most part I really like this town but will likely be priced out of it as the words "affordable housing" and "middle class" are not recognized part of the English language in Asheville. This really is becoming a town of the have's and have nots as many have previously stated. Nearly all of my friends in this town are college educated, yet more than half earn less than 30K per year, so I think there is some truth to the overeducated restaurant employee. There's no shortage of low paying service industry jobs and $7/hr plastic injection molding jobs working 3rd shift and a dropout could handle. And going back a few pages to the post referring to the large number of renters, of course there is! Housing far outpaces wages here and some of you talk as if us renters are the plague. To end this little unfocused rant (i'm tired) I do have to go off topic and complain a bit about the music scene here which seems to be heavily slanted towards jam bands, folk, and jazz. It's hard to find a good rock show around here.

Last edited by Zooropa; 07-09-2007 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Left out a sentence and some spelling errors

Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 PM

26 posts, read 74,358 times
I have only visited Asheville one time-two years ago-and I wasn't that impressed with it. The only thing it had was a great view of the mountains! I visited the Biltmore, but liked to dies from the heat inside of that unairconditioned castle! The people there were friendly, but when I would ask directions to anything-I got the run around-as if they didn't know their own town. I prefer Tennessee ( Gatlinburg/Seiverville area). You can't get much better than that!
Pat from Texas

Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 PM

37 posts, read 266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfire99 View Post
Have you tried Apollo Flame? That's close to S. Asheville and very tasty! I miss it!
LOVE THAT PLACE. BEST GREEK FOOD OUT THERE!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 11,795 times
Thumbs up 'Scuse me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfire99 View Post

As for Carolina Day, it has a reputation of being a super snotty and elite school. Drugs ARE rampant. Hell, half the "homeless" kids you see downtown come from wealthy families. Many of them graduates from Carolina Day.

It's interesting how people who don't know Carolina Day offer opinions on it. It has a "reputation"? Have you or your kids gone to the school? Clearly not. While it is an expensive, private school, hence the "snotty" tag (by folks who don't go there), the school is AMAZING.

It's setting standards for the whole country! It is featured in the news across the country over and over and over. It's incorporated a new system of separating the sexes in their Middle school (increases learning aptitudes during puberty) after much extensive studies, all fascinating.
ALL schools should be modeled after Carolina Day, in my opinion.

As for drugs being "rampant" and many of the homeless being - "many of them graduates fm Carolina Day" that is just totally made up. But I guess BS is what makes the world go round and round and round.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:26 AM

366 posts, read 1,017,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden cindy View Post

It's interesting how people who don't know Carolina Day offer opinions on it. It has a "reputation"? Have you or your kids gone to the school? Clearly not. While it is an expensive, private school, hence the "snotty" tag (by folks who don't go there), the school is AMAZING.

It's setting standards for the whole country! It is featured in the news across the country over and over and over. It's incorporated a new system of separating the sexes in their Middle school (increases learning aptitudes during puberty) after much extensive studies, all fascinating.
ALL schools should be modeled after Carolina Day, in my opinion.

As for drugs being "rampant" and many of the homeless being - "many of them graduates fm Carolina Day" that is just totally made up. But I guess BS is what makes the world go round and round and round.

While I have no personal experience with Carolina day and the person who wrote that post, I do personally know at least one former staffer there that would agree with the easy access to drugs statement the poster made.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
As a mom of kids who have attended both private and public schools, I can tell you that this is part of living in the USA - and probably on this planet - and not unique to Carolina Day! If kids are looking for drugs or a drug connection at school, (we avoided that, thank God), they will find them. Any school. And some of the Christian/parochial schools, according to my kids' friends, are the worst. So pointing a finger at Carolina Day just seems unfair.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 AM

22 posts, read 98,779 times
As a Tampa Bay resident thinking about a move to NC, I really appreciate your post. You've given me a lot to think about.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 PM

46 posts, read 246,437 times
Default Leaving Nj

We're in the same boat... almost. We already have a piece of property we bought a few years ago in Lake Toxaway, NC. We had hoped to be leaving now.. but with the housing market bad here, we weren't able to close on our property sale here in NJ last Nov. So now hopefully this fall the buyer will be able to close deal. But now will wait til our daughter finishes last 2 yrs in HS before moving.

Just have to sell our property here first so we have the $$ to build down there.

We did this past fall look at a few more communities in Hendersonville and Asheville area to be sure we made the right decision in Lake Toxaway and the ones we visited confirmed our decision. The new communities we looked at are asking a lot of $$ for not that many amenities, (a club house, pool, hiking trails) plus they still have a ways to go before all the amenties are even available. Now at Lake Toxaway Estates it's a well established community with everything in place. Something to consider when looking.

So did you go to Hendersonville? What did you think of it? We're by the town of Brevard which is 1/2 hr away from Hendersonville. A nice little town. My sister lives in Connesstee Falls in Brevard. That community is also established with club house, golf, lakes, pool, etc. There are still empty lots available besides homes for resale. Something else they have which most new developments/communities don't - city water, sewers, elect.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgspooky View Post
GREAT INFORMATION EVERYONE, THANKS!

Thinking of relocating in a couple of years moving from New Jersey.

Waiting for my 15 year old to graduate high school and I am gone out
of Jerzey.

Heading out to Asheville for a week during 4th of July week and then to the
Durham area the following week to check whats out there.

Sold our business here (didnt realize Jersey was a silent partner in my business as well with all the taxes they extorted from us, lol) and not really in need of employment unless the real estate market continues to collapse here in Jersey and Florida where we own some property.

Looking in the Flat Rock and Hendersonville areas as well.

Thanks for the information!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM

46 posts, read 246,437 times
Default Asheville

Michael,

I haven't read your other posts so I might be asking questions you already answered.

Are you looking to move to a "city"? How about the surrounding smaller towns?

My sister and brother-in-law moved to NC a few years ago. They live in Brevard which is a great little town which is about 40 minutes away from Asheville. They both work in the Asheville area.

We're in the same age bracket 54-56. My husband will be retiring during the next 1-2 years. We bought property a few years ago in a lake community - Lake Toxaway, NC which is 20 minutes away from Brevard, hr from Asheville. We try to get down there a few times a year and love the area. People we've met in the areas of Lake Toxaway, Cashiers, Brevard and Hendersonville have been very friendly. Now we have visited Asheville a couple times and who we've interacted with were also friendly.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Gypsychic-- Feel obligated to respond to your query about what disappointed me about Asheville on our admittedly(4 days) too short of a visit. I must confess that when I put in my "2 cents", I had only read the first 2 or 3 pages of this thread. This evening I read it all and I admire your attitude and enthusiasm for this town. I wouldn't be that surprised if our impressions were wrong.
Here's the dealio,I'm retiring in the next 12 to 18 months and so for the past 2 1/2 to 3 years weve been scouting out potential locations. Unfortunately we only ( due to time and financial constraints) spend 3 to 4 days at each. Last Sept. was Seattle and Bellingham Wa.. Absolutley loved both. Weather was mid to hi 70's the people were great. I know I'm not the first to say this but Sea. was like a cleaned up S.F.. But then there's the weather... . Eugene Or. 2005, great neighborhoods in the S.E. and S.W. hills,
very friendly people, a definite possibility but again, the weather.
In 2004 we checked out Charleston, S.C., St. Augustine and Orlando Fl., each x'ed off the list for one reason or another. It's nothing personal, each town we've visited has some appeal (with the exception of Orlando,what a crowded, angry, town) and I'm sure were missing alot but that's how it has to be. Still on our agenda are Austin, Ft. Collins Co., and Nashville.
Last May we did 10 days in N.C.," if it's Tuesday it must be Hickory". We maybe were expecting too much from Asheville, maybe it never had a chance to live up to our expectations. I know my wife would like to give it another try. We just had some interactions with people there that weren't comfortable, a couple of youngish hippie-type waitresses and what I believe to be the owner of a "head shop", condescending, unfriendly attitudes. I know, call me a juvenile hyper-sensitive weenie. No don't! It's not true and you'll make me cry. They treated me like I was an old "square". Ok I'm 54 with short hair. But I used to be hip! Busted for possesion of marijuana in '69 at a Youngbloods concert when I was 16! I was at Altamont! Drove a beat up VW van! I still know the words to every Monkee's song!
Gypsychic, I know I'm all over the place here, and I didn't really give you any particular reasons for not being enthralled with Asheville and I apologize.
We stayed on Woodfin(?) street, drove to Hot Springs(not much there), Blk. Mountain(ok), Blue Ridge Parkway (AWESOME). Mostly hung out on the main drag in downtown Asheville all in all a pleasant visit but not what we expected. Where did you move from? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:05 PM

11 posts, read 73,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
Reynolds Mountain is a such a McMansion joke, not just a stereotype. The last thing i want to see when i look out my window or am driving down Merrimon Ave is RM. It's an eyesore, and they didn't have to clear cut so much of it. Do we really want to look like southern California?It's also going to be one of the first places to wash away if we ever see anything like Frances or Ivan again. And the "Preserve" at RM is just a bunch of million dollar town homes with a view of pretty much nothing...just a bunch of brush. Yes I have been up to RM and looked at their plans. I'm not saying no one should be able to build their dream home or that those people haven't earned their money. I do completely agree though with a previous post regarding people who move here(and the developers who facilitate this) only to try and change it with complete disregard for the existing people and culture. As previously said, if you don't like asheville the way it is then why did you move here? I've been here about 8 years now...spent my college years here and decided to stay, so I'm not a native, but I can see their point of view. For the most part I really like this town but will likely be priced out of it as the words "affordable housing" and "middle class" are not recognized part of the English language in Asheville. This really is becoming a town of the have's and have nots as many have previously stated. Nearly all of my friends in this town are college educated, yet more than half earn less than 30K per year, so I think there is some truth to the overeducated restaurant employee. There's no shortage of low paying service industry jobs and $7/hr plastic injection molding jobs working 3rd shift and a dropout could handle. And going back a few pages to the post referring to the large number of renters, of course there is! Housing far outpaces wages here and some of you talk as if us renters are the plague. To end this little unfocused rant (i'm tired) I do have to go off topic and complain a bit about the music scene here which seems to be heavily slanted towards jam bands, folk, and jazz. It's hard to find a good rock show around here.
Oh these terrible RM developers! bringing jobs, growth and opportunity to woodfin and surrounding areas; how disgraceful! and turning a landfill (and eyesore) into parks, affordable housing, shopping (read: JOBS!) and a full service Y with memberships to the disadvantaged; oh those horrible capitalists! Yes, you are right RM is a BAD place run by bad people. we should all protest this horrible development; things were much better before! Just read this article that was recently printed in local newspaper:

YMCA of Western North Carolina Announces Expansion with Location of a Neighborhood YMCA in New Mixed-Use Development Planned for Woodfin

Facility to Meet Growing Demand for Health and Wellness Services in North Buncombe Area; a Key Element in Community Centered on a Passion for Healthy Living

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Responding to a growing need for community wellness programs in northern Buncombe County, the YMCA of Western North Carolina is planning to open a Neighborhood YMCA in a new downtown Woodfin development project in fall 2008.

The new facility will be a central element in a 250-acre mixed-use town center for Woodfin planned by Reynolds Mountain Development, to be called Merrimon North at Reynolds Mountain. In addition to the new YMCA, the town center will include a broad array of restaurants, specialty retail outlets, commercial spaces, residential housing and an 80-acre public park.

“The YMCA of Western North Carolina places a high priority on community health and wellness, so when we learned about Reynolds’ mixed-use development – essentially a town center for Woodfin – we knew it would be a perfect fit for us,” said Paul Vest, YMCA president and CEO.

The 15,000-square foot facility will be a Neighborhood YMCA, a state-of-the-art wellness center that will operate as a satellite location of the Asheville YMCA. Located in a building planned for Merrimon North at Reynolds Mountain, the Neighborhood YMCA will include workout areas, group exercise rooms, locker rooms and childcare on the second floor, in addition to a first floor lobby and offices.

“Our new YMCA in Woodfin is part of a broader strategy for the organization to enhance services to the entire region,” said Richard J. Lutovsky, chairman of the board of the YMCA of Western North Carolina. “Many of our member families live in north Asheville and this location will be much more convenient for them. This location will also enable us to reach out to other families who are not currently YMCA members, but who will benefit from our family-focused approach to health and wellness.”

By expanding access to its health and wellness services the YMCA of Western North Carolina is fulfilling the goals of the Activate America initiative, a community health program of the YMCA of the USA designed to combat growing national health problems such as childhood obesity and a sedentary lifestyle.

While the new YMCA operates in Merrimon North at Reynolds Mountain, it will also begin exploring and planning for a larger, permanent facility to be located on a three- to five-acre site that Reynolds Mountain Development will donate to the YMCA. The permanent YMCA location will be integrated with an 80-acre public park being planned by Reynolds Mountain Development for Woodfin.

“The Neighborhood YMCA allows us to build a relationship with the community and to expand our membership services,” Vest said. “Additionally it allows us to determine the long-term needs of the community and to give them an opportunity to have input on what the larger facility will be.”

To assist with the YMCA’s expansion to Woodfin which includes the permanent facility, Reynolds Mountain Development is donating more than $2.5 million in the form of property and reduced lease payments over the next five years. Reynolds Mountain Development will work with the YMCA’s facilities committee in helping lead the planning, development and construction program for the YMCA’s permanent location.

“Our partnership with the YMCA will ensure that we create a true sense of community for Woodfin because the YMCA is such a fundamental element in the fabric of life in America,” said John Metcalf, director of business development for Reynolds Mountain Development. “This means that many generations to come will have a place to connect and pursue healthy lifestyles.”

Reynolds Mountain Development is also planning to establish an endowment to provide free YMCA memberships for a certain number of low-income Woodfin families each year.

The town of Woodfin also anticipates significant benefits from the YMCA. By providing outdoor recreational programs to Woodfin citizens once the public park is completed, the town expects to save nearly $100,000 annually in its parks and recreation budget.

“The new YMCA will be a tremendous asset for our town and all of northern Buncombe County,” said Mayor Jerry Vehaun. “Woodfin has for some time been looking for ways to benefit families through recreational opportunities, and this new facility will definitely become a star attraction for all of us. Offering both indoor and outdoor activities, anyone interested in physical fitness will have everything they desire.”

Reynolds Mountain Development will begin construction of Merrimon North at Reynolds Mountain this fall. The community will incorporate 410,000 square feet of retail and commercial space, 595 multi-family units, including lofts, mid-rise condominiums, porch homes, courtyard brownstones and an 80-acre park.

The park will feature a pedestrian-focused design that connects the mountain to the river via a system of hiking trails, sidewalks and engaging public spaces. At the completion of construction, the park will be donated to the town of Woodfin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina