Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,930 times

Advertisements

More high-end housing is fine. I loooove Biltmore Forest, and they've done a very good job with developing Biltmore Park and Biltmore Lake. The Ramble in South Asheville looks like it will be wonderful, except for the fact that it's gated.

I have a problem when this high-end housing is destroying one thing that people of all socioeconomic levels cherish: the VIEWS. This area is absolutely gorgeous. People that choose to build in places like The Cliffs and Reynolds Mountain seem to forget that not only can they see everything from their house, but everybody is now forced to look at their house.

That's the source of my negativity towards Reynolds Mountain et al.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe48 View Post
I've met (face to face) dozens of folks from the area and have yet to come away with a feeling that there is 'anger' toward individuals with greater wealth; that's my reality. My perception from reading this thread is that some of the participants feel anger toward residents of 'higher valued' areas like RM. If someone does not like the development approach in a particular community (i.e.not enough care taken to protect the environment) I can understand critical comments. However, I struggle with negativity based solely on perceived or real wealth; to stereotype in any manner (the 'haves') is unfair. Anyway, this thread won't stop us from considering Asheville; but it will make us spend more time evaluating the decision.
The impression I have from the locals around here (myself included) is the problem with the developers, and the way most of them are ruining so much of the natural beauty while they cause problems for existing neighborhoods. I personally have no problem with high end homes or people with wealth - hey this area was settled by the wealthy (Grove and Vanderbilt) and has drawn the wealthy for years. And there are actually a number of nice high end developments where the developers are using "green" methods of building and having consideration for nature.

As far as "haves and have-nots" sorry you didn't like the term, and while I don't usually agree with "WhyDidI", in this case, I see that Asheville is on a fast track to becoming just that, if efforts are not made to keep a balance. The middle class is vanishing in a lot of places, and it's happening here rather quickly. The high end developments push all the values up making it difficult or impossible for people of normal means to buy, but there must be affordable housing for the people who serve the town (and the wealthy)

Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 14,537 times
Default Considering move from CO to Asheville

My boyfriend and I are thinking of leaving Breckenridge, CO and possibly moving to Asheville. We're looking for a little less snow (its STILL snowing here) and more affordable housing (anything is more affordable than here). We need to live in a mountain town b/c I couldn't imagine living anywhere else--we rock climb, snowboard, hike, bike. And we want to be closer to our families (I'm from VA and his are in MD & TN). So what about the outskirts of Asheville? The company my boyfriend works for has a location in Horse Shoe and Hendersonville, we wouldn't want to live right in town anyway. We'll be home in 2 weeks (VA & MD) and will check it out but any info on outlying towns to look at will be helpful!! We are open-minded and laid back and definitely not pretentious at all.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 27,786 times
Asheville is a wonderfull place. Some of the new home going up that way are to die for! I know there are a lot of people who don't like all the development going on, but eventually it will all even out. The construction process does create a lot of environmental pollution but once the landscape is improved with grass and new trees this will not be an issue. SOme people also don't like how the homes damage the scenic views, but they don't seem to mind the fact that their homes that were built years ago did the same thing. THe I'm first mentality needs to be checked at the door. Asheville has some cool culture and vibe to it so I highly reccommend everyone visiting the area check out the downtown area for themself to make their own call.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:50 PM

187 posts, read 1,023,025 times
Yeah, no one in Charlottesville is saying the same thing about people moving in and changing the vibe of their town or driving housing prices up... good reason to pick one place over the other. Charlottesville must have it all figured out.

The socio-economic effects of rapid population influx on a community is best discussed on this board, I'm convinced.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe48 View Post
Thanks so much; it's great to hear the more objective/balanced view. We come from a blue collar, lower middle class background; paid way through college (1st in family), worked hard, got a little luck and am now blessed to be able to afford a nice home. I don't believe the folks on RM/Cliffs etc are the cause of home price increases across Asheville; development and growth in the area over the long term will be a benefit to ALL who live there. We would have built on RM with a deep focus on the environment; a 'green' home and a major investment in trees, soil, etc. However, we will build in Charlottesville; the overall feedback here re: haves/have nots (are you kidding?); anti-growth; etc is concerning enough to tip the scales. Best of luck to all and please don't judge based on someones financial success.
Good luck - hope you enjoy Charlottesville. Don't know anything about it, but it is always on those "best places" lists.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM

35 posts, read 144,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcat View Post
Currently, Asheville City Schools are responsible for teaching about half of the children living in the city.
Umm... okay, I'll bite. Who is responsible for teaching the other ~50% of Asheville residing students? Buncombe County schools? Madison County? Davidson County? Wake County? Please explain that statement...

Quote:
The drop out rate for black males is in the neighborhood of 70% and 96% of our black students are falling in the lower 50% of class standings. A terrific statement of failure.
How does that compare to the overall rate, and to the rate for lower-middle income to low income white male students, and to the rate for white male students?

Quote:
City tax payers pay approximately $23,000,000. to subsidize the city school system.

Is this $23mil per year? And if so, how does that break down among the population fo Asheville. As in all math tests, please show all of your calcualations for testing purposes... My figures, according to city-data.com, show that Asheville has a population of ~ 68K people, thus giving them the chance to pay ~ $28 per month in city taxes.

Wow. That seems... SOOOO... extremely tiny...

Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM

116 posts, read 446,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post
friendnc, no disrespect, but asheville IS boring. Believe me, I've looked. If you don't live here, I don't think you can really say it is or isn't. Weekend or week long vacations or trips here are one thing. living here is entirely different.
Hey y'all here is a pearl of wisdom from my mama,
"Never admit to anyone that you are "bored", it means there is nothing going on in your mind!"
There is always fun to be had if you are looking for it!
Best Regard
~Duke101

Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,930 times
Default city residents in county schools

Re: Asheville City only educates 50% of the students from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdnva View Post
Umm... okay, I'll bite. Who is responsible for teaching the other ~50% of Asheville residing students? Buncombe County schools? Madison County? Davidson County? Wake County? Please explain that statement...
Many Asheville city residents are actually assigned to Buncombe county schools. No one south of I-40 goes to Asheville High School (the only HS in Asheville city system), despite much of the area along US25 and Sweeten Creek Rd being in the city limits. Kids in the Haw Creek neighborhood, which is in the city limits, go to county schools. There are more areas, too.

I have no idea how that is arranged in the budgets of each system. I was surprised at the 50% number, but I guess I shouldn't be...

Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Re: Asheville City only educates 50% of the students from the city.

Many Asheville city residents are actually assigned to Buncombe county schools. No one south of I-40 goes to Asheville High School (the only HS in Asheville city system), despite much of the area along US25 and Sweeten Creek Rd being in the city limits. Kids in the Haw Creek neighborhood, which is in the city limits, go to county schools. There are more areas, too.

I have no idea how that is arranged in the budgets of each system. I was surprised at the 50% number, but I guess I shouldn't be...
If you are in the Asheville City School district you have a Asheville City School TAX on your annual tax bill. There are some very good county schools and they are not overburdened by the hoards out of the housing projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina