Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM

23 posts, read 260,536 times

Advertisements

ugh. it's pretty , but that's about it.

Asheville is boring......and weird.

see previous posts.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,607 times
Good post, Why Did I - "it's boring." Please go back to Florida...

We get it - you don't like it here. The dead horse has been flogged.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
In no particular order...

-Perfect size for my family
-Good schools
-Great outdoor activities
-Great music
-Cycling friendly
-The public generally cares about the environment
-Friendly, walkable downtown
-Safe
-The Blue Ridge Parkway
-Mountain views in every direction
-Very good University and tech. college

Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 AM

23 posts, read 260,536 times
Vandemusser, I get all the same people posting the same stuff about this town over and over. It's a new perspective. sorry you don't like mine.

funny how people have to shoot someone down because they have an opinion. The post was asked. I replied. Had nothing to do with you.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM

25 posts, read 100,034 times
how affordable is housing? Are there any old sections

Old 05-18-2007, 11:15 AM

283 posts, read 1,290,928 times
Default You forgot one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
In no particular order...

-Perfect size for my family
-Good schools
-Great outdoor activities
-Great music
-Cycling friendly
-The public generally cares about the environment
-Friendly, walkable downtown
-Safe
-The Blue Ridge Parkway
-Mountain views in every direction
-Very good University and tech. college

You forgot: Great choices in eating out!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 54,229 times
Every day I live in Asheville I love it more. If you pick up a copy of the local alternative paper that comes out free every Wednesday it is incredibly full of things to do. And there are groups to get involved in for just about any interest from poetry & knitting to ice climbing & white water kayaking. Just about the only thing we don't have is Trader Joe's and the Ocean - the Ocean is just 4 hours away and I'm not sure where the nearest Trader Joe's is. And in general, the people seem so friendly. I'm from New England - so that can be a relative thing. But when driving, people are sane and even curteous, sometimes. In stores/shops/offices people genuinely seem nice. Well, I could go one, but I think you get it.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM

13 posts, read 54,229 times
How affordable is housing and are there any old sections?... Google Montford, NC - they have their own web site. West Asheville does, too. There are a bunch of old sections - I forgot how many historical neighborhoods there are. Some are expensive and some not terribly - expensive and cheap are very relative.

Some people who come here think it's outrageously expensive and some think it's so cheap! If anyone would like me to send them the weekly real estate market overview for the Asheville area, I would be happy to. It usually comes out weekly. It breaks down all the price ranges and give info about each one like how many houses are for sale in that price range right now, average days on the market before selling, number of closings in the last 6 months, etc.

Its'a buyers market right now because there are lots of homes on the market, but in general they are only for sale for about 3 months before they sell and the average selling price this week is $304,771. There are a total of 2,303 homes on the market and they range in price from under $50,000 to well over a $1 million.

Usually the less expensive ones are manufactured homes. Once you get over $225,000 you can find some pretty nice places. Under that, they are either small, just one bathroom, in a funky location, have a strange floorplan or something like that. But if you are patient and keep a very close eye on what is coming on the market you can find something under that. Or if you don't mind small or one bathroom. Or if you don't mind a townhouse or condo.

They are actually taking reservations now ($1000 - refundable) for some "lofts" right downtown to be completed in 2008 in a new building from just $122,000. They are only about 500 to 900 square feet. The buiding is going to comply with "HealthyBuilt" green standards and even have a live roof.

There are also some other fairly affordable "green" options being built right now like some townhomes in West Asheville that should be ready this fall fro about $197,000. They are about 1000 square feet.

Whew, I got a little long winded. I hopw this was helpful. Feel free to ask more about this stuff and don't forget to let me know if you want me to Moderator cut: Realtor soliciting

Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Wow, Tree, that was a lot of good info you gave! Where do you get the market reports? It seems the market is still moving pretty well, especially certain desirable areas. We bought our little house in Kenilworth Forest - modest but a good price in a convenient and beautiful little neighborhood! Things sell very quickly here, especially since they are affordable compared to the rest of town. I've seen some good buys in Beverly Hills and Haw Creek as well (all on the east side of town)

Some day I would like to live on the north side of town, like around Beaver Lake but those houses are pretty expensive and getting more so by the year due to that being such a popular area! But at least we have a place in this little paradise!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 PM

64 posts, read 443,222 times
Thanks for all the comments.
I've been to Asheville a few times, and my family and I would spend time in the summer in areas such as Highlands, Franklin, Dillard, GA, Clayton, GA, and I even went to summer camp as a kid in Brevard. I honestly love it...for it's aesthetic reasons and for nostalgic reasons too. I am sure I will be back.
The housing information was especially helpful...so thank you "treehouse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina