Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,975 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good, primitive camp site near Bryson City? We don't mind hiking into a camp site as long as it is less than a mile as we will have a small child with us. It would be nice to have a somewhat private location and water (small stream, lake, etc) near by.

Also, any must see's in there area are alway appreciated!!!!!

THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 PM
WFR

23 posts, read 103,707 times
Go down 19/74 a bit and camp along the Nantahala River.
There are quite a few spots just off the road and also a campground or two if you do not find the primitive site you are looking for.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle106 View Post
Does anyone know of a good, primitive camp site near Bryson City? We don't mind hiking into a camp site as long as it is less than a mile as we will have a small child with us. It would be nice to have a somewhat private location and water (small stream, lake, etc) near by.

Also, any must see's in there area are alway appreciated!!!!!

THANKS!!!!
This place claims to have "remote tent sites", but I've never been there:

Hide Away Campground, Bryson City, North Carolina, heart of smoky mountains

You might also want to check Tumbling Waters in Almond, near Tsali recreation area. Although their main campground is hardly what I would consider "primitive" (bath house etc.), they do have a private area in the back along Panther Creek that is fairly remote and away from the other campsites. If they don't have any group camping going on back there, they'll often open it up to other campers . . . if they know about it (shhhhh).

Home

I also believe there are primitive campsites along the dirt road behind Tumbling Waters that really are primitive, but I've never camped back there, and I'm not sure if it's just first come/first serve. I'd imagine it is. Call the folks at Tumbling Waters; they can tell you.

p.s. nice handle.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
This place claims to have "remote tent sites", but I've never been there:

Hide Away Campground, Bryson City, North Carolina, heart of smoky mountains

You might also want to check Tumbling Waters in Almond, near Tsali recreation area. Although their main campground is hardly what I would consider "primitive" (bath house etc.), they do have a private area in the back along Panther Creek that is fairly remote and away from the other campsites. If they don't have any group camping going on back there, they'll often open it up to other campers . . . if they know about it (shhhhh).

Home

I also believe there are primitive campsites along the dirt road behind Tumbling Waters that really are primitive, but I've never camped back there, and I'm not sure if it's just first come/first serve. I'd imagine it is. Call the folks at Tumbling Waters; they can tell you.

p.s. nice handle.
Do you by any chance have an opinion on Deep Creek for camping?

A Smokey Mountain Campground near Bryson City, NC

Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 AM

91 posts, read 286,051 times
Snow Bird, White Oak, there are trails near the Road to Nowhere and campsites along those.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Do you by any chance have an opinion on Deep Creek for camping?

A Smokey Mountain Campground near Bryson City, NC

Deep Creek isn't bad, it isn't primitive though. It would be great for kids because you are right next to the creek, but it isn't private.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_state View Post
Deep Creek isn't bad, it isn't primitive though. It would be great for kids because you are right next to the creek, but it isn't private.
Yeah, that's the problem we want privacy but a bath house with hot showers too, lol! Thanks.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Standing Indian Campground is awesome. They have showers and bathrooms, but if you get a spot on the gravel loop it is private. There are also two creeks that run through. It's past Franklin.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Standing Indian Campground is awesome. They have showers and bathrooms, but if you get a spot on the gravel loop it is private. There are also two creeks that run through. It's past Franklin.
Thanks so much! I'll look in to it

Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Oh no, in addition to hot showers, this campground appears to have lots of bear visitors

After reading all the reviews confirming this, I just can't bring myself to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina